Join Early Retirement Today

Have you been to Port St. Joe, FL area?
Old 04-04-2012, 06:50 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have you been to Port St. Joe, FL area?

I want to plan a short celebratory trip to the coast. DH and I both love the beach. Looking at FL panhandle, because that would be a one-day drive. We would depart two days after my last day of work.

Port St. Joe looks like a good possibility- quaint and quiet. We definitely want a beach.

Any suggestions for a destination and hotel or B & B? Not wanting to do Destin/Panama City area this time.

Thanks,
oh yes

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
Confused about dryer sheets

St. George Island off Appalachicola is very nice

Old 05-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I also liked Appalachicola and St. George Island. Never liked the looks of Port St Joe or it's beaches. My favorite panhandle beach is Blue Mountain Beach between Destin and Panama City.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #4

Thanks so much, both of you. A mom at my school had stayed in Appalachicola. She recommended it highly and thought i should check out Port St. Joe. DH and i are visiting The Villages in Sept. On the way back, we will visit this area; i'll start looking at options. Very much appreciate your input.

and.....the beauty of retirement (4 more days)--in September the rates are lower.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

If you look at Port St Joe using google maps you can see their beach is on a bay. The nicer beaches are on the Gulf.

Re-reading you first post I see you are looking for a hotel or B&B. Grayton Beach might be something to look into. Here's a link to get you started. www.graytonbeach.com | Helping to keep Grayton Beach funky since 1997!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:26 AM   #6

Thanks, AzDreamer. Grayton Beach looks like a very nice place. I will investigate more.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #7

DH and i are spending four days doing the preview plan at The Villages this month. We wanted to spend a couple days on the beach as we headed back to Arkansas.

Yesterday, a Living Social Escapes deal caught my attention-- half off two nights at the Cape San Blas Inn near Port St. Joe. The Tripadvisor reviews are very positive. A room has been booked and we are ready.

One of those happy happenstance things
Old 09-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes
DH and i are spending four days doing the preview plan at The Villages this month. We wanted to spend a couple days on the beach as we headed back to Arkansas.

Yesterday, a Living Social Escapes deal caught my attention-- half off two nights at the Cape San Blas Inn near Port St. Joe. The Tripadvisor reviews are very positive. A room has been booked and we are ready.

One of those happy happenstance things
Would love to hear about your Villages experience. We're thinking about doing a lifestyle visit early next year as well.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:49 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Been there many times.
No golf courses.
No crowded boardwalks.
Good fishing in the canal B/T Port St Joe and the intercoastal waterway.
Be prepared to entertain yourself and enjoy the company of family/friends.
Eat at the Indian Pass Raw Bar.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #10

plan to post on Villages trip - maybe i can get some good photos included.

The St. Joe inn has canoes and kayaks, which i hope we use...and some beach time. The no-busy-stuff sounds wonderful to me, though DH and I aren't really needing to escape any stress, lol.....well, except for the very recent painful breakup of 28 yo beautiful daughter with guy we were afraid she might marry. We are sad she is sad, but, then again...

I am very much looking forward to this get-away. Had hoped to take it immediately after retirement, but we decided to wait. You have to book The Villages preview three months out.