Hawaii Big Island

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
In a few days DW & I are off to the Big Island for several days, thanks to everyone who posted ideas here. Really liked reading the Big Island Revealed; Ultimate Guide Book. We will be staying near Volcanoes Park in the south and then going on to Hilo and then a couple days in Kona. DW wants the volcano part and it actually looks interesting, more than the one we climbed in Bali and just watch steam/vapor rising. We have reserved a helicopter flight, folks we know said this was worth the cost. We will check out the Hilo farmer's market, go to the Botanic Garden. We have a few hikes in mind and snorkeling probably every day. I plan to try Loco Moco, DW is not interested and worried it would affect swim suit size.

The road around the north from Hilo to Kona has great waterfalls along the way. If you go to Hawaii and you do not snorkel (or scuba if you know how)you are missing half the beauty. Book a trip to snorkel at Captain Cooks's gravesite. Also the black sand beach at the northern tip was cool, and I hear there is a green sand beach on the south as well.

The helicopter ride is definitely cool and may be the only true volcano action you get. Even then, it may be minimal -- a few skylights and other small peeks. VNP is very cool. On clear nights you can often see the Milky Way with the naked eye. The sulfur springs are pretty cool and of course the volcano itself.

Back
Top Bottom