Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are already booked airfare, cars, & condo on Big Island - just still searching for condo on Maui for our second week- I've spent a lot of time on VRBO & TripAdvisor lately - most of the good stuff in our price range ($160 or so for a 1br) seems to be taken already for our dates. You snooze you lose I guess May have to adjust that $160 expectation up a little though - we want nice, but we're still big on LBYM too. (I am splurging on convertibles though!)

I'm thinking we're not much interested in Luau's and such having been to Oahu once & seen a lot of the cultural stuff - we're probably going to be more interested in the scenery, beach, & snorkeling/diving.

All tips on decent food at reasonable prices is appreciated.

Thanks for all the tips so far guys - keep em coming.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texarkandy View Post
(I am splurging on convertibles though!)
I think that driving a convertible in the islands is like carrying a big flaming arrow pointing to you saying "Look at me, I'm a visitor with lots of money and valuable possessions piled into this rental car!!" I don't know a single local who drives a convertible and I've never seen one in a school or church parking lot.

There are plenty of sunny places around here and it's not very enjoyable being on a wide-open road among canefields in the blazing sun. Penalty points added for rush-hour traffic.

But if a convertible is important to you, then you'll also want plenty of sunscreen & umbrellas.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:01 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I think that driving a convertible in the islands is like carrying a big flaming arrow pointing to you saying "Look at me, I'm a visitor with lots of money and valuable possessions piled into this rental car!!" I don't know a single local who drives a convertible and I've never seen one in a school or church parking lot.
Thanks for the tip -

but I have no intention of pretending to be a "local" and I don't take "valuable possessions" on vacation with me.

I think tourists are pretty easy to pick out anyway, no matter how much they might try to blend in.

Be nice, but be who you are, is my motto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
There are plenty of sunny places around here and it's not very enjoyable being on a wide-open road among canefields in the blazing sun. Penalty points added for rush-hour traffic.

But if a convertible is important to you, then you'll also want plenty of sunscreen & umbrellas.
Thre's plenty of "sunny places" here in Texas too & I've still considered getting a convertible just for the fun of it.

I'll bring a hat.

(umbrella's?)
Old 06-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Whether you're carrying valuables or not, and regardless of who you are, my point is that the meth addicts will break into a convertible before they'll bother with any other cars. If it's important to you to be driving one, you might want to talk it over with the rental car company and insure appropriately. Lots of unhappy rental-car customers over break-in damage, although that's not unique to Hawaii.

Quote:
(umbrella's?)
Mauka showers-- small rain squalls. Daily, sometimes more frequently, and often in each & every valley between the ridges. It gets tiresome stopping every 5-10 miles to put up the top. Umbrellas are more frequently used for shade vice rainshields.

When it starts to rain around here, hardly anyone runs for shelter because it's usually short-lived. When we were walking along the Washington DC Capitol Mall a couple years ago and it started to rain, you could quickly tell which visitors were from Hawaii...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 06-22-2008, 05:08 PM   #25

when i went to the big island i rented a jeep which I enjoyed a lot.
(just me and my brother). we went a couple places that
were dirt/gravel roads in less than ideal condition.
they were some of the best places we visited. plus it was fun to drive.

we didn't leave much of anything in the car.
But we traveled really light which may not be everyones
thing..
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #26

Quote:
Thanks for the tip -

but I have no intention of pretending to be a "local" and I don't take "valuable possessions" on vacation with me.

I think tourists are pretty easy to pick out anyway, no matter how much they might try to blend in.

Thre's plenty of "sunny places" here in Texas too & I've still considered getting a convertible just for the fun of it.
We always rent a convertible when we go to Hawaii, I wouldn't have it any other way. Nords, I know not many locals have them (I do know 2 on Maui to do however) That being said, please realize that many of us come to Hawaii at a time when we have not seen the sun in 3 months, and our home is covered in two feet of Ice. Even sitting and baking in traffic burning $5 gas is a pleasure. Also, does a brand new ford taurus scream tourist any less?

The only valuable thing I carry in Hawaii is my camera, and that never leaves me. If we're going in the water we leave it in the condo. I just leave the doors of the car unlocked. In addition, my credit card offers free rental insurance so I don't worry too much about it.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:10 AM   #27

Obviously posting on a forum to get advice from the locals, or say computer expert, car guy or what ever, is popular. It also seem just as popular to ignore the advice you seek.

Having lived in Hawaii, you should heed Nords advice on a convertible.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:24 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I know this isn't the same place, but I'll share the following: my wife and I spent 10 days in So. Florida and Key West years back, and I splurged and rented a nice convertible (I think it cost us $900 for the 10 days). It was in early September. We spent *maybe* 2 or 3 hours of those days with the top down. It was just too hot and sticky to be riding around like that. There were lots of other things that we could have spent that money on. YMMV.

That said, if you get a good rate on a 'vert, and you're hell-bent to throw the top down, I say go for it. A jeep seems like a good idea, since there are some dirt-road places that'd be fun to see where you might not want to take that Taurus.

EDIT: Just to clarify, that was 2 or 3 hours TOTAL in 10 days, not 2 or 3 hours per day.
ProspectiveBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:31 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Convertibles are just such a pain in the a$$. Watch out for the real heavy sunburn potential. Just because you are wearing a hat doesn't mean the other part of you won't get badly fried. Such as neck, arms, and upper thighs.

And yes, convertibles are meth addict magnets for theft. Sitting at a popular sight waiting for my ride, I watched several really shady characters approach convertibles first as they scouted out stuff to boost from cars.
A854321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #30

Interestingly, I find that a convertible on Maui is about $300 over the price of a full-size for a week.

On Big Island it's only $50 extra - what gives with that I wonder?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
We always rent a convertible when we go to Hawaii, I wouldn't have it any other way. Nords, I know not many locals have them (I do know 2 on Maui to do however) That being said, please realize that many of us come to Hawaii at a time when we have not seen the sun in 3 months, and our home is covered in two feet of Ice. Even sitting and baking in traffic burning $5 gas is a pleasure. Also, does a brand new ford taurus scream tourist any less?
The only valuable thing I carry in Hawaii is my camera, and that never leaves me. If we're going in the water we leave it in the condo. I just leave the doors of the car unlocked. In addition, my credit card offers free rental insurance so I don't worry too much about it.
No problem, guys, just full disclosure.

If a convertible is important to you then it's what you should do. Good luck with that.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:43 AM   #32

So we're leaning now towards getting the convert on the Big Island & a full size on Maui. Money saved on the Maui convert will go a long ways toward taking one of those expensive volcano helo flights.

Any tips on good dive shops in both places anybody? (I'm finding on the net that dive prices are nearly double what they are FL & Mexico) We are hoping to do at least the Manta Ray dive on Big Isle & Molokini on Maui. Possibly some shore diving on Maui too.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:41 AM   #33

Quote:
Interestingly, I find that a convertible on Maui is about $300 over the price of a full-size for a week.

On Big Island it's only $50 extra - what gives with that I wonder?
I have NO connection to them, but I have used Discount Hawaii Car Rental Maui Car Rentals Honolulu Kona Kauai Hilo Waikiki every time I go. Difference between a vert and sedan is about $110 a week.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:27 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Any tips on good dive shops in both places anybody? (I'm finding on the net that dive prices are nearly double what they are FL & Mexico) We are hoping to do at least the Manta Ray dive on Big Isle & Molokini on Maui. Possibly some shore diving on Maui too.
Are you bringing gear? Shore dives are inexpensive if all you need is a tank of air or two. I rented tanks and BC at Maui Dreams . Trips to Molokini originate from either Maalaea Harbor, Lahaina Harbor, or the Kihei Boat Ramp. Lahaina Harbor is the furthest away so I'd avoid it. The boats out of Maalaea will be much larger and may accomodate tourists who are snorkeling. When I did the back wall dive I went with Mike Severns out of the Kihei boat ramp. If your primary mission is diving stick with the smaller boats out of Kihei, it's half the distance to Molokini, and focused on scuba as opposed to snorklers. If you're with people who want to snorkel, then you'll more likely be on one of the bigger boats out of Maalaea (breakfast snacks and lunch will probably be included).

Another thing, if you have a wetsuit, bring it.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote