Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
How incredibly cool and spectacular just this one excursion must have been! I have seen the Na Pali coast from a private plane piloted by a friend (back in the 1960's), but have never gone there by sea. It is one of the most stunning places on earth, for me at least.

What a wonderful dream come true for your daughter.
W2R, maybe you and Frank should go there -- would only bump up your withdrawal rate a bit.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
W2R, maybe you and Frank should go there -- would only bump up your withdrawal rate a bit.
Nah, we're happy doing what we do here... A trip to Hawaii to see the Na Pali coast again is pretty far down on the priorities list right now. But I think that going there by outrigger was a terrific idea for the dream trip that SecondCor521 gave to his daughter.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the report! Sounds like she had a fantasy vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
(Yup, Nords, she swam in the hotel pool. Mostly because we're not 100% confident in her ocean-swimming ability and she wasn't fond of the saltiness of the water. She also made a few friends at the pool which would have been less likely in the ocean.)
We spent about 15 years of Waikiki trips poolside with our daughter, commuting from there to the snack bar. It's what kids do. And it's a lot more hands-off parenting than keeping an eye on the ocean.

Quote:
Didn't see the green flash that people talk about, but we tried a couple of nights. Does it really exist? Not sure.
I have finally seen it. I did 20 years in the Navy and never saw it at all (admittedly you can't see it through a periscope). I was retired for nearly 10 years before I saw it last December. I may never see it again.

The conditions have to be absolutely perfect and it lasts for maybe one second. When the sun is halfway down below the horizon, the flash starts as a point at the center of the sun (at the ocean's surface) and radiates out in an arc to the edge of the sun. It's a light green, more toward yellow than blue.

Quote:
Did the luau at the Royal Kona hotel. Neither of us liked it...the imu (traditional oven to cook a pig) smelled like a bad mixture of old coffee, dirt, and rotten banana leaves. The dinner was plain. The dancers were interesting and good; the lady experiencing everything through her Ipad ruined things. We left early.
If it's any consolation, it smells like they did it right. You were smelling the ashes of burned kiawe wood (that heated the pohaku), the dirt that covers the burlap/tarp, and what's left of the cooked-out banana leaves that cover the food.

Many luau have been known to cut corners with modern technology. Although after you go through the labor of digging & filling the imu, and then emptying it again, you begin to understand why the ancient Hawaiians invented microwave ovens. I did an imu when our daughter attended a three-day hula camp, and once was enough for me. I can't imagine doing it 2-3x/week for visitors.

Navy Hawaii trivia: many local Navy commands have an annual luau to celebrate the promotion of E-6s to Chief Petty Officers. As part of their initiation rite, however, the selectees are required to do the whole imu routine from start to finish.

Quote:
Summited Mauna Kea and saw the telescopes one afternoon. Easy drive and easy hike for us, but we only stayed up there a brief time out of concern for my daughter's health. She said she felt fine; I was a tad daddy-paranoid so I made her recite pi to 30 decimal places after we decended (She memorizes pi. I don't know why.)
Usually it's a splitting headache. When we hike Haleakala, starting from 10,000 feet and descending to about 7000 feet, I have a nagging headache that lasts for 24 hours before I adapt.

You were standing near the site of the Mauna Kea Snowboarding Championships, which unfortunately could not be held this year due to insufficient ground cover. Some do the contest in two parts, driving up Mauna Kea for snowboarding in the morning and driving back down for surfing in the afternoon.

The storm scenes in Jurassic Park were shot from the hotel as Hurricane Iniki was trashing the island. I've heard that when the storm had passed, the film crew had most of the island's remaining functional electrical generators and lighting equipment. Did the helicopter tour have any other info about that?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We spent about 15 years of Waikiki trips poolside with our daughter, commuting from there to the snack bar. It's what kids do. And it's a lot more hands-off parenting than keeping an eye on the ocean.
Exactly. My daughter is on the edge of being trustworthy in the water, and I know that sometimes waves can sneak up on people.

Quote:
I have finally seen it. I did 20 years in the Navy and never saw it at all (admittedly you can't see it through a periscope). I was retired for nearly 10 years before I saw it last December. I may never see it again.

The conditions have to be absolutely perfect and it lasts for maybe one second. When the sun is halfway down below the horizon, the flash starts as a point at the center of the sun (at the ocean's surface) and radiates out in an arc to the edge of the sun. It's a light green, more toward yellow than blue.
Interestingly enough, I read the Wiki entry on the green flash first to figure out what people meant. Then later, as I was going through my photos and videos from the trip, I ended up taking a video of the sunset when we were on a zodiak heading to the manta ray thing when a kid in the boat said he saw it. I clicked the camera to stop my video at that point because I didn't see it. Lo and behold, the last frame of my video shows the upper arc of the sun with a green tint. Pretty cool, even if I experienced it somewhat secondhand.

Quote:
Did the helicopter tour have any other info about that?
Not really. They just mainly pointed out that it was on private land (Robinsons') and that the family had made licensing arrangements with the helicopter tour folks to land there and visit the falls. The funniest thing in my mind was that they had a sound track that played background music while we flew. After we landed at the falls, the Jurassic Park theme song came on. It kind of inserted you into the movie in an interesting way for a second.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Green flash photo
Old 04-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Green flash photo

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3260078-001.jpg (8.9 KB, 32 views)
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:11 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We also went on a night swim with the manta rays which was absolutely cool. Highly recommend this tour and also Captain Kris Henry @ Sea Hawaii Rafting. Imagine floating face down in the water with a 3/4 wetsuit as a manta ray with about a 10-12 foot wingspan and a 2 foot wide mouth swims up directly at your face before arching backwards onto its back about 6 inches below you, brushing against you as it descends again. Now imagine that there are about four or five of them doing this directly beneath your group. That's cool. My daughter really liked it but got cold quickly in the night ocean. Oh, and we saw a bunch of dolphins and a couple of humpbacks as the sun was setting.

2Cor521

I am afraid you spoiled your daughter for life with the night with the Manta Ray in Kona. I done a fair amount of diving in many great diving locations around the world and lost count of the number of times I've gone snorkeling and I can say that night dive for the Manta rays was hands down the best. I imagine the snorkeling is almost as good.

Sounds like you great trip and your daughter has good taste in special trips.

Aloha a hoi hou