Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
The itinerary I have in mind would include renting a car and it would be my first time driving on the wrong other side of the road.
Fixed that for you.
Nah, to fix it, you'd need to get all those places to switch over, and drive on right side of the road.

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2015, 09:14 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Nah, to fix it, you'd need to get all those places to switch over, and drive on right side of the road.

-ERD50
It all started on the left.

Why do some countries drive on the left and others on the right? - World Standards

Old 06-21-2015, 09:47 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh come on now! Because Knights and horse team drivers wanted to use their right hand so kept to the left? We are talking about modern times, horse-less carriages! Gotta change with the times!

Furthermore, "but this is the right side of the road to drive on" (paraphrasing Spinal Tap - 'but these go to eleven!').

And just a tiny bit more seriously - if driving on the wrong side of the road is so great - why haven't any of the right side driving countries switched, when several wrong-side countries have switched (at great cost and inconvenience) to the right?

It's just wrong - that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

-ERD50
Old 06-21-2015, 10:43 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

I have driven on the left only twice. In US Virgin Islands, the traffic was light and I drove leisurely so it was not too bad. But without traffic to remind me, I pulled out from a beach and drove on the wrong (meaning right ) side for a short distance before a police car came up behind me and honked the horn.

The 2nd time in NZ was more nerve-racking, because I had to go on a highway. In city, slow traffic makes it less dangerous plus there are other cars for you to follow. On the highway, it felt terrifying to see cars coming at you at high speed on the wrong side of the road. OMG! And then, when I had to pass someone, I had to keep reminding myself to merge left after passing. "Keep left, keep left" was all I could keep in my mind. Roundabouts did not bother me, somehow. It was good that my wife was there to keep reminding me too. I would rather not drive if there was another way. I just could not enjoy the scenery.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:10 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
And just a tiny bit more seriously - if driving on the wrong side of the road is so great - why haven't any of the right side driving countries switched, when several wrong-side countries have switched (at great cost and inconvenience) to the right?

It's just wrong - that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

-ERD50
I was living in Okinawa when the US gave it back to Japan; when I got there they were driving on the right side and switched to the left. It was really weird the first couple of days, but got the hang of it.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFA View Post
I was living in Okinawa when the US gave it back to Japan; when I got there they were driving on the right side and switched to the left. It was really weird the first couple of days, but got the hang of it.
Interesting , I did not know that!

I'll still guess that the wrong-to-right switches outnumber the right-to-wrong switches by a great margin!

-ERD50
Old 06-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

There is no "wrong" way. Just different.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:36 PM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

India is the most populous country where cars drive on the left but not sure how high the number of cars there are.

Driving on the right side is the "right way" normatively speaking.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
India is the most populous country where cars drive on the left but not sure how high the number of cars there are.

Driving on the right side is the "right way" normatively speaking.
Says who?

Please provide a rationale. If, by " normatively" you mean "most common", then logic dictates that ER, being uncommon, is "wrong".

Why do so many people cling to the belief that their way is the only "right" way?
Old 06-21-2015, 02:33 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

It should be said Right hand drive or Left hand drive. It's not wrong, actually in a left hand drive country, a right hand drive persons perspective is what is wrong!
Old 06-21-2015, 03:00 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Says who?

Please provide a rationale. If, by " normatively" you mean "most common", then logic dictates that ER, being uncommon, is "wrong".

Why do so many people cling to the belief that their way is the only "right" way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
It should be said Right hand drive or Left hand drive. It's not wrong, actually in a left hand drive country, a right hand drive persons perspective is what is wrong!
Thank you MRG.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:04 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

This is how the U.S. Embassy in Dublin sees it:

Driving in Ireland | Embassy of the United States Dublin, Ireland

"Tourists driving on the wrong side of the road are the cause of several serious accidents each year."

To the OP: When you visit my country,of origin, you will be welcomed as a guest. Please remember to drive on the left side of the road, because that is required by law, i.e. legitimate.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:08 PM   #73

In an attempt to be conciliatory, I tried driving down the middle of the road today - wow - the blatant expressions of aggression I encountered.

So much for "Blessed are the peacemakers"....I was called a lot of things, but 'a child of God' wasn't one of them.......Matthew certainly got that one wrong.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:22 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Nemo2 too funny. Actually my neighbor delivers mail in rural areas in a left hand drive Jeep Wrangler. One days off his border collie would ride along in the "drivers" seat. First time I passed the dog "driving" the Jeep it kinda scared me.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:29 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
his border collie would ride along in the "drivers" seat.
My late wife & I used to say that our border Collie could prepare our tax returns, so driving would have been well within his capabilities.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:24 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is how the U.S. Embassy in Dublin sees it:

Driving in Ireland | Embassy of the United States Dublin, Ireland

"Tourists driving on the wrong side of the road are the cause of several serious accidents each year."

To the OP: When you visit my country,of origin, you will be welcomed as a guest. Please remember to drive on the left side of the road, because that is required by law, i.e. legitimate.
I'm still not buying it. Sometimes there is opinion, point of view, perspective, and sometimes there is just right and wrong. Like one of my favorite all time movie scenes - Jack Black (Dewey Finn - music teacher) in "School of Rock":

Dewey Finn: Look, the first thing you do when you start a band is talk about your influences. That's how you figure out what kind of band you want to be. So who do you like?

(student) Leonard: Puff Daddy.

Dewey Finn: Wrong.

That just cracks me up "Who's your favorite?"... "Wrong"

OK, in case you haven't picked up on it, all my comments on this have been firmly tongue in cheek (and I have no idea where that expression came from).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
In an attempt to be conciliatory, I tried driving down the middle of the road today - wow - the blatant expressions of aggression I encountered.

So much for "Blessed are the peacemakers"....I was called a lot of things, but 'a child of God' wasn't one of them.......Matthew certainly got that one wrong.
That had me LOL! See, you just can't please some people! Why even try?

-ERD50
Old 06-21-2015, 06:33 PM   #77

Have you noticed that spiral staircases are all or mostly clockwise on the way up and anti-clockwise on the way down?

It dates back to the days of castles, which are built for defence. The attackers are going to be mostly right handed which puts them at a disadvantage trying to fight their way up, and easier for the mostly right handed defenders of the castle, particularly considering that the staircases were only big enough for one person at a time.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:06 PM   #78
Full time employment: Posting here.

Returned from Ireland last night. We had a wonderful time. It is a very beautiful country!

I will say that I was much relieved when I returned the rental car. And, without any damage

I ended up with a compact, diesel, manual car and loaded up on insurance. We had a good paper map, rented a GPS with the car and DD translated the GPS instructions for me (the voice had a British accent). This really helped me with the round-abouts.

We ended up on every type of road possible. M, N & R roads including a few roads that actually had names and definitely some questionable roads that felt like farm roads/lanes. I drove about 1500 miles including Killarney National Park, Connemara National Park and the Dingle & Kerry Rings, so we definitely experienced the narrow, winding and hilly roads. Held my breath several times on the single lane roads and bridges with 2-way traffic. Also drove in Galway and Killarney with lots of traffic, pedestrians, cyclists, big tractors, horse & carriages and sheep. I think the hardest part in the towns and villages was watching for pedestrians. They cross roads without using crosswalks, against the lights and without consideration for traffic.

I'm also amazed at the bravery of the cyclists. Seems like a perfect place to cycle/tour by bike except for cars on the roads (no bike lanes or shoulders).

Renting a car was surprisingly expensive, but overall I feel it was worth it to have the freedom. It took me about 2 days to get comfortable and DD had to remind me several times to get in the left lane. However, driving did prevent me from really enjoying some of the sights and views as the road conditions really require 100% focus. I utilized many of the pullouts to be able to get out and enjoy the views.

Interestingly, this morning it felt weird to be driving on the right side of the road!

I appreciate the helpful comments and funny stories.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:51 PM   #79

Welcome back! So pleased to hear that you had such a good time and managed the car and traffic so well.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:59 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Dog, delighted to hear you had a good time in Ireland. If it makes you feel any better, I too breathe a sigh of relief when I return the rental car, although I was born in Ireland, lived there till my mid 20s, and learnt to drive there!

By the way, you can select the accent on the GPS. I usually bring my own.