Join Early Retirement Today

Heading to Europe for 3 Weeks
Old 08-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Heading to Europe for 3 Weeks

Heading to Europe for 3 weeks for the first time next month with my wife, sister and BIL. Here are the preliminary plans:

Fly to Munich from US for Oktoberfest for a couple of days. Drive to Fussen for two days. After that drive up to Wertheim (wife’s old Army base)

Drive to the Rhine area for a few days then down the Rhine to Freiburg. Dump the rental car in Freiburg.

Take a train to Chur, Switzerland. Sightsee for two days. Get on Berenia Express to Tirano, Italy. From there train and ferry to Bellagio, Italy. After that Venice for a few days.

After day 15 say goodbye to sister and BIL who are flying back home.

DW and I will take a week to head up to Berlin for our flight back home. Probably get on a train and head to Salzburg, Austria then up to Praque, Czechoslovakia then on to Berlin.

We have booked a few places ahead of time through AirBnB and some other similar site.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2014, 07:18 PM   #2

Sounds like a nice trip.
I'm planning a longer version for next summer... spending 9 weeks in various parts of Europe - mostly in 1 week increments to maximize the VRBO deals.

Is your wife excited to go back to her old military stomping grounds?

Old 08-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Same here. Flying into Amsterdam. Overnight train to Munich, then touring Austria. Then visit Fussen for a couple of nights before flying home from Munich. Our Munich visit is a couple of weeks before Octoberfest starts. Using trains and other public transportation to get around.

Predictions indicate daily highs will be 63-69 degrees most locations. Vienna might actually hit 70. Nights 50s down to 48. That's quite a bit cooler than what we're used to.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I don't know how locked in you are but Hallstatt, Austria is a wonderful stop-off between Salzburg and Prague.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:28 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I don't know how locked in you are but Hallstatt, Austria is a wonderful stop-off between Salzburg and Prague.
Sounds good I will look into it. We don't have any specific plans after Venice other than to be in Berlin the day we fly out.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Sounds like a nice trip.
I'm planning a longer version for next summer... spending 9 weeks in various parts of Europe - mostly in 1 week increments to maximize the VRBO deals.

Is your wife excited to go back to her old military stomping grounds?
She is really looking forward to it. She hasn't been there since 1989 so I am sure things have changed.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:29 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidler4 View Post
Probably get on a train and head to Salzburg, Austria then up to Praque, Czechoslovakia then on to Berlin.
If "probably" means you're not sure yet, I can heartily endorse both Salzburg and Prague. Neither should be missed if you can help it.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I'm so locked in that we already have 3 nights booked for Hallstatt!

That was the toughest place to reserve lodging as it fills up really fast and a flood last year meant fewer rooms available. As it stands we are at a pretty minimal B&B type inn, that will do. The location is excellent.

And one day will be spent going up the Dachtein cable car from Obertraun to explore the ice cave and the five-finger lookout over the Hallstattersee.

Thanks for the suggestion!

P.S. Oh I see your response was to the OP.

FWIW our Austria tour is 3 nights Salzburg, 3 nights Hallstatt, 5 nights Vienna. From Vienna we're doing a major day trip to Melk, Wachau Valley cruise, and Dürnstein.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidler4 View Post
Probably get on a train and head to Salzburg, Austria then up to Praque, Czechoslovakia then on to Berlin.
I too highly recommend Salzburg, Austria and Prague, Czech Republic.. Both are located in beautiful countryside.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:57 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

OK my wife corrected me (again). She wants to head towards Vienna after Venice then on to Prauge. I think we are going to head over to Salzburg at the start of our trip while we are in Munich. We are actually staying at Lake Chimsee near Munich.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-16-2014, 06:42 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

If you're only going to be in Munich for a couple of days, as you said, be aware that Salzburg is well over a two hour drive from there. You will need an entire day just to see the highlights, and that limits your visit to Munich where there is SO much to see, even aside from the Wiesn.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
If you're only going to be in Munich for a couple of days, as you said, be aware that Salzburg is well over a two hour drive from there. You will need an entire day just to see the highlights, and that limits your visit to Munich where there is SO much to see, even aside from the Wiesn.

Thanks that is good to know. We arrive in Munich on a Sat and leave on Weds. A few ideas are Dachau, Oktoberfest, Eagles Nest and/or Salzburg.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

If you've never been to Oktoberfest (the locals call it Wiesn), that will be a full day (and ideally, far into the evening). If you don't already have reservations at one of the beer tents, start working on that now. You'll be glad you did.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #14

If you're going to the Rhine area, I'd suggest diverting over towards the Mosel for a day or two. When we lived in the Frankfurt area, we'd take day trips over that way and after a while found we enjoyed the Mosel more - not as foreign touristy, great scenery, and better wine.
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:32 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Fussen has become crowded and we stay in a small town 14K north called Seeg. Pension Heim is where we have stayed in the past. One of the best bakeries in town as well as a wonderful gasthof Alder for dinner are down the street. In the fall we may try nearby Landhotel Panorama.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I had no trouble at all getting lodging for two nights in Fussen - it was one of the easier places to book a hotel. And since we are traveling by train, we like to stay close to a station or easy public transit. The town looks lovely. It's quite an historic location. We look forward to a hike to the waterfall, and some of the old churches.

It looks like their city heritage museum is well worth visiting, so we'll probably leave a couple of hours later than originally planned the day after our tour.

We mainly decided to stay in Füssen because we selected the Bavarian Highlights scheduled day tour with European Castle Tours. This to avoid ticket lines, reservations, some of the tricky castle access issues, and timing and transport issues in general. We will visit Neuschwanstein, Wieskirche, Oberammergau, and Linderhof. If you look at the locations on a map, that's quite a bit of driving! Most of their group tours are quite small, but this being a regularly scheduled day tour they offer, I could see how the group might be larger. I'm sure it depends on the day.
Offered on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays: Bavarian Highlights Day Tour from Füssen

Customers are in general very complimentary of this company, and if you browse you'll see they offer some pretty extensive tours of castles all over Europe. Uh-oh I just started drooling over the French Chateau trip.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:48 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

You know, it's really a shock how crowded the tourist areas of major European cities are. Visiting family in Amsterdam - where they lived was nice. But you head anywhere into the Zentrum (center) area and it is sooooo packed with people.

Downtown Munich is just as bad if not worse!

DH is complaining about this. Can't be helped I think.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:19 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Precisely why I almost always travel in the off season.
Weather isn't as nice, but the lack of crowds more than makes up for it IMHO.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Precisely why I almost always travel in the off season.
Weather isn't as nice, but the lack of crowds more than makes up for it IMHO.
How far do you have to go to get the "off season". Bruges, Belgium was absolutely packed at the very end of September last year. I don't think we're willing to go much later in the year. May or September is about the best we can do.

I can't imagine what it is like in July and August, the supposedly "crowded" months!
Old 09-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I was in Europe in July and did not experience terrible crowds. We were in Hungary/Check Rep./Poland/Germany/Austria

Accounting to our tour director, you get twice the time for the same $ when you stay away from from Italy/London/Paris. Berlin is the place to be - we had a great time and I large can of Berliner Beer was .89cents - small can of Coke - .95cents!!! Go to the supermarkets and get your meals like the locals. We also stayed at 4 star hotels that provided breakfast. We made sandwiches each morning for the road.

Guess what I drank....