Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was in New York in May and this is a highly recommended tour .
New York City Sightseeing Bus Tours

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Unless you're going to drive into the White Mountains in NH or spend time in Maine in Acadia or something, I wouldn't recommend 4 days in Boston and 1 in NYC. NYC is very difficult to see in 2 days, much less 1, and you're going to regret spending 4 days in Boston and 1 in NYC. If anything, 2 days in Boston is enough, and 3 days in NYC. Having vacationed to both, I think that's the best option by far.

I love Boston, by the way. So take that as you will.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Picture yourself in one of those nice yellow-orange NYC cabs, marveling at the traffic at only 3 PM.
Still Pictures
This one is looking at Times Square
http://nyctmc.org/Xview_still.asp?ca...+%40+46+Street
There's a slight delay at the site, give it a minute or so to load.

Revisit this site at 5 PM.

Full list of live webcams in Manhattan at
NYCDOT - Real Time Traffic Cameras

This is pretty cool for a country mouse (me) to watch from far away.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

This whole thread is odd to me. New York? One day? Boston, 4 days? Just forget the whole thing, get some good DVD travelogs and stay home. You'll see more and be a lot more comfortable.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Ha, we're considering changing your user title from "Give me a museum..." to "CMC" (Certified Master Curmudgeon).

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This whole thread is odd to me. New York? One day? Boston, 4 days? Just forget the whole thing, get some good DVD travelogs and stay home. You'll see more and be a lot more comfortable.

I agree . You need at least three to four days in each anything less is too rushed .
Old 07-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I was in Boston yesterday for business. Just another affirmation to NEVER DRIVE IN BOSTON! I've driven in nearly every major city in the U.S., but Boston is off that list forever. Yesterday we saw tons of red-light runners and a car blow its horn and go around a car that had the audacity to slow down at a yellow light. The driving is insane and you have to be careful as pedestrian as well.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Boston is famous for it's flashing green traffic lights. At least now I know what they mean.

Also note that a left-green arrow does not mean that oncoming traffic has a red light. It just means you are allowed to turn left if nobody is going to hit you.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:45 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I was driving in Boston last weekend. There are many good reasons that the indigenes behind the wheel up there are called "Massholes."

As for going to NYC, I think you are nuts, but I also fully understand that we do foolish things to please the wife (like hiking 7 or 8 blocks in the full NM sun in 90F weather after a 7 hour drive to get tequila for someone who was not even in the hotel room when I got back, grumble, grumble). If you want to go from Boston to NYC, I would either take Amtrak, look into flights (which can be inexpensive), or find one of the numerous bus companies that do the run several times a day for peanuts. I saw tons of "Bolt" busses making the run, and there are also a slew of no-name Chinatown bus companies that will haul you from Boston to NYC for well under $50 a head. Once in NYC you will find a public transportation system so all-encompassing that it makes Boston's very good system seem like a child's toy. And driving in NYC is a nightmare, especially if you are from out of town.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Again, thank you all for your input, I appreciate it.

I think I will gently exercise my marriage management skills and kill the trip to NYC. We'll go to New York City some other time. Again, thanks for the advice, it appears that you have saved us some pain and suffering.

So, it's 5 days in New England with at least 3 in Boston. Maybe instead of NYC, we'll visit other places around Boston.
albundyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:47 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Al, you might want to check out the zoo while you're there. Looks like you'd better hurry...
Quote:
BOSTON -- The Franklin Park Zoo, the only Boston institution of its kind, may be forced to close and euthanize some of its animals, zoo officials said Friday.
Zoo May Close, Euthanize Animals - WCVB Boston

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:28 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our Doorman in NYC when asked about the Statue of Liberty said it was a complete waste of money to deal with all the crowds going on the trip to the island just to look up at the statue when you could take the Staten Island ferry that sails right by the statue and price for the ferry is free,takes about half hour to Staten Island where you just get on the next ferry back to NY.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

For travel to Boston you should probably consider this Go Boston Card: Boston Attractions, Tours, and Things To Do from Smart Destinations
Old 07-24-2009, 12:42 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Boston Museum of Fine Arts is fantastic and well worth the three hours or so to go through it.

To beat a dead horse a little more, DH lived in Cambridge for five years and only used a car to go to Costco. Really.

Should you decide to get a car in Boston, you may also want to purchase this, as it will help tremendously:
Amazon.com: The Boston Driver's Handbook: Wild in the Streets--The Almost Post Big Dig Edition (9780306813269): Ira Gershkoff, Richard Trachtman: Books
Old 07-24-2009, 06:13 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

If going to NY..

... take the train, the trip from Boston to NY goes along the coastline and is very scenic for the most part. But don't drive, done that, won't do it again.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I live 30 minutes south of Boston and I drive into this city quite often to visit my daughter (primarily to haul some stuff from DW and last week it was to help her get rid of bedbugs).

From someone who knows the city inside and out take my advise and take the T or walk and only rent a car if you plan to drive on 93 North to NH or south to Cape Cod or Providence. Parking is pretty expensive unless you park in "early bird specials" lots for $19 a day.

Hotwire has a couple of 3.5 stars hotels in the backbay area for around $100 a night. There you'll be within walking distance to the Boston common, Beacon Hill, Newbury and Bylston streets as well as Fenway Park and only a few stops away on the T from the North end, the waterfront and the museum of science.

BTW for those of you who think the Boston drivers are bad you apparently haven't been to Providence.......
Old 07-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I just booked a 3.5 star hotel from Hotwire for Boston and I got the Sheraton in Back Bay which is a nice hotel . I've stayed their before and it is really convenient .
Old 08-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #38
Confused about dryer sheets

Three days in Boston is enough. There are better places the Legal Seafood. Price line for $100 got us into the Marriot on the Harbor. Pick up your car at the airport. See the Cape (2 days), Ogunquit and Bar Harbor, Me (1 day each). A day in Nantucket is fine. Staying over is expensive. Trip Advisor is a good start in planning your trip.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:51 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Another vote for not driving a car in Boston. I live 60 miles west of the city and only drive there under extreme duress. If I have to use an airport, I fly out of Manchester NH on Southwest. The city street layout is not in a nice grid pattern but was based on following the paths of a herd of drunken cows. Boston (and Massachusetts) drivers are horribly obnoxious and aggressive, but no more so than in Connecticut, New York and New Jersey. Take the "T" everywhere, and stay in Copley Square and walk. Forget Burlington, there is nothing there but your typical shopping mall.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:35 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

ok, ok, we're not going to NY.

ok, we're not driving in Boston.

FWIW, we'll be staying at a nice place in Braintree. Free parking for our car rental. The T is 2 miles from our hotel. We plan to drive to the T and take the T into Boston. We'll do this for 2 days. See Boston in those 2 days.

Another day we plan to drive to Lexington and Salem. Then we'll leave Boston and drive into New Hampshire and seek our fortune looking for the NE change of colors. Right now, we're debating on driving to Lake Winnipasaukee or North Conway. any thoughts?

thanks

albundyz is offline   Reply With Quote