Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-26-2009, 03:25 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Lake Winnipesaukee is nice, take a ride on the "Mt. Washington" which is the boat that tours the lake. I can't be positive, but I believe you can pick it up at least in Wolfboro (southern end) and Meredith (northern end). A web search will reveal the details.

North Conway is a strip of Rt. 16 dedicated to outlet shopping and traffic snarls (on summer weekends). Plenty of touristy stuff to see in the area, like Mt. Washington (the actual mountain, not the ship....see above). If you decide to drive your car, take the shuttle vans or perhaps even the cog railway to the summit (pricey but a glorious experience), a general rule of thumb is "if you can see the summit from the bottom, it's a good day to go." If the summit is in the clouds, you'll be treated to an overpriced view of your feet. The auto road is on the southern side of the mountain, along Rt. 16 just past Pinkham Notch. The cog railway is on the northern side. To get there, take Rt. 16 out of North Conway, and where it splits with Rt. 302 (traffic lights at the Dairy Queen), follow 302 north through Crawford Notch (spectacular views at the crest), then look for the signs for the cog after the height of the notch.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2009, 03:36 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by albundyz View Post
ok, ok, we're not going to NY.
ok, we're not driving in Boston.
Another day we plan to drive to Lexington and Salem. Then we'll leave Boston and drive into New Hampshire and seek our fortune looking for the NE change of colors. Right now, we're debating on driving to Lake Winnipasaukee or North Conway. any thoughts?

thanks
Salem is a really cool place. I took a weekend bus trip there 2 years ago.

Fall foliage...ooooooooooo my favorite. The maples are glorious when they flame into brilliant reds and oranges.
Here's a site that may be helpful.
New England Foliage Map - Yankee Foliage - Your Source for New England Fall Foliage
I was surprised to see some areas coded yellow for "Turning" already. Turning means very few leaves are changing. We've had plenty of rain, but nighttime temps are the biggest factor.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:28 PM   #43
Confused about dryer sheets

Ok so, I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds here as this is my first post but I want to throw some facts at you.

Copley is very nice, and would be a sweet place to stay; however, you're looking at some jacked up hotel prices. A much much better idea would be to stay somewhere in Newton. The Sheraton over the pike in Newton Corner is very convenient but since it's over the pike, it might be kind of loud. Another choice is to stay at the hotel right next to the Riverside T stop. It may be at the very end of the green line but it's in Newton, it's literally 500 feet from a stop, and it's ridiculously cheap; AND since it's at the very end of the line, almost every single stop up until the Fenway stop is pretty uncrowded and easy going.

As for going to Salem, there is a ferry that heads there and they've got plenty of bikes or mopeds if you're into that thing. The same goes for Martha's Vineyard/Nantucket/most other places on the Cape. If you want to save some cash, the ferry is much cheaper than a rental car and you won't have to drive around with us Massholes.

The foliage IS gorgeous and it's highly recommended to get a car for a day and drive out as far west as you can. Not necessarily all the way to Amherst but halfway there it becomes less cityish (nothing is grosser than driving through a crappy town like Saugus) and more rural with beautiful trees and fields.

Fun touristy things to do are Fenway Park (expensive), checking out the Zakim bridge at night (gorgeous), the science museum, the aquarium, the freedom trail, Copley and the Prudential for shopping, old north church, the north end for overpriced Italian food (that's one of those places that is overhyped but you still have to go there), and grab some seafood in the harbor (No Names is a pretty popular destination for tourists.) There's also Fanueil Hall (which I'll never spell right) and the surrounding area.

Like I said, all of those are pretty touristy but all my visiting friends seem to enjoy it. For the non-touristy things, there's Church (bar, not actual church) in Back Bay and Jim's Deli in Brighton. Both of which are wicked easy to get to via T or bus.

Anyway, hope I could help and enjoy Boston (PS: If you're on the T, and you're not sure it's your stop but you stand in front of the door anyway, you WILL get pushed the hell off )

PPS: If you see a "roundabout" or "rotary" in Boston.. then you're not in Boston. You're probably in Roslindale or JP or Hyde Park or something.
prence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:58 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

From Boston to NYC, you'll hit Hartford, New Haven, Stamford, and NYC each with its own traffic jams some of which are mere nuisances and some are monumental headaches. There is no scenery to speak of along the way except for a minor bit of northern CT and southern/western MA that's kind of nice, so it's a boring drive to boot. The drive is definitely too much trouble for a one night stay.

Burlington is the burbs, so there isn't much to see. I would bid for a hotel downtown and be where the action is.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:49 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prence View Post
Another choice is to stay at the hotel right next to the Riverside T stop. It may be at the very end of the green line but it's in Newton, it's literally 500 feet from a stop, and it's ridiculously cheap; AND since it's at the very end of the line, almost every single stop up until the Fenway stop is pretty uncrowded and easy going.
That would be the Indigo Hotel on Grove st. in NewtonNewton Hotels- Hotel Indigo Riverside Near Waltham, Needham, MA- Newton, Massachusetts

I stayed there this past summer,the proximity to the green line was very handy and as the first dozen or so stops are above ground the front seats give a nice view down the tracks. the hotel was inexpensive and had no problems i could remember..