Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry night View Post
You might regret missing Oktoberfest in Munich. It's something to do before you can't.
From Copenhagen, take a nice, short, cheap train ride to Roskilde to visit Viking Ship Museum and outdoor village.
Lots of nice stuff in No. Germany. Fairy Tale Route anywhere from Frankfurt to Hamburg takes you through great towns and castles, including Hamelin.
Another lovely medieval town is Celle, between Hamburg and Hanover.
I know lots of people like Oktoberfest, but I don't like huge crowds and I don't drink alcohol! Those are the reasons I ruled it out. Not sure if it is possible to watch from a distance. I got munched in a crowd during Fasching in Cologne many years ago.

Thanks so much for the suggestions for towns around Hamburg. I will check out that route and also Roskilde.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
I spent six months there in 1974-5 during college. As a college student we didn't eat at nice restaurants, but great brats and fries on the street, and a very nice Saturday morning market in the town center (Prinzipalmarkt, as I remember). While Germans have great beer I remember a German friend taking me to a bar where they had his fav, and it was a Czech beer, Pilsner Urquel, I think, on tap.

Definitely not on the main tourist itineraries.
That sounds like it was a lot of fun! I regret that I didn't get to do a study abroad program in college. I'll have to check out Muenster.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:20 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Re: Oktoberfest in Munich

I don't drink either, but would gladly go back to Ofest just for the rotisserie chicken....and the tents and the atmosphere.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't drink anymore. I just don't drink any less...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:09 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullmyfinger View Post
I know lots of people like Oktoberfest, but I don't like huge crowds and I don't drink alcohol! Those are the reasons I ruled it out. Not sure if it is possible to watch from a distance.
We stopped by Octoberfest two years ago when we were picking up our car (we dropped it off in Munich).

We didn't really go to Munich *for* Octoberfest, but since we were that during it, we thought we should stop in.

DW isn't big on crowds and noise and so on. I dragged her into one of the big tents. After getting kicked out of a couple of seats (they were reserved) we found a place to sit down. Just then, the band started up right next to us. That was enough for her (it *was* a bit loud ;-) ) and we headed out.

I'm glad I got to see it. She's not so sure.

My take was that it was a lot like the Ohio State Fair with way more drunk people!

Oh, all the hotels in Munich charge a lot more during Octoberfest.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:04 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
We stopped by Octoberfest two years ago when we were picking up our car (we dropped it off in Munich).

We didn't really go to Munich *for* Octoberfest, but since we were that during it, we thought we should stop in.

DW isn't big on crowds and noise and so on. I dragged her into one of the big tents. After getting kicked out of a couple of seats (they were reserved) we found a place to sit down. Just then, the band started up right next to us. That was enough for her (it *was* a bit loud ;-) ) and we headed out.

I'm glad I got to see it. She's not so sure.

My take was that it was a lot like the Ohio State Fair with way more drunk people!
That is too funny!