Join Early Retirement Today

Help with Canandian Rockies trip
Old 08-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Help with Canandian Rockies trip

I'm flying into Vancouver this weekend and renting a car.

Plan is to visit Banff and Jasper parks, then drive over to Prince Rupert on the coast and take a round-trip ferry to Queen Charlotte island (Haida Gwaii) for a couple of days. Then take a ferry to Port Hardy on Vancouver Island, and meander down towards Vancouver.

Plan is to do day hikes on scenic trails in the parks.

Any suggestions for "must see" (or fun) places, trails, restaurants, etc.?

omni

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Wow lots of driving! I worked in Holberg (NW of Port Hardy). Currently live in Vcr. Enough to see for 3 weeks. From Port Hardy, either Comox ferry to Powell River and down the Sunshine Coast, or down the Island and visit all the places along the way. Then Malahat Mountain highway into Victoria. Too many sights to mention. Side trips to Sooke and Bucharts Gardens recommended. Schwarz Bay ferry back to Tsawassen then an hour to Vancouver. Lots to see but especially Capliano Suspension Bridge and Park, Grouse Mountain Skytram, Cypress Mountain Lookout, Stanley Park. Bike the seawall if you have the time. There are seawall trails all around Stanley Park, English Bay, False Creek and Coal Harbour. Nothing better in good weather.

Whew and you still want to go east? Decide on the route through the Rockies. Crowsnest Pass and Rogers Pass, or Rogers Pass and Yellowhead. I will let others tell you about Banff and Jasper. (I lived in AB for 8 years in the 70s). Just make sure you drive the Icefields Parkway from Banff to Jasper.

I have not mentioned all the wineries in the Okanagan Valley because you will not have the time. If you decide to make time, Burrowing Owl (Jim and Midge Wise) and Rustico Estate Vineyards (Bruce Fuller). Worth the side trip.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:25 PM   #3

Nothing useful to add.

However, I made the trip in the 1980s. One beautiful trip! I am sure you will enjoy.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:25 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

While we meandered down Vancouver Island we fell in love with Quadra Island, just a short ferry ride from Campbell River.
We stayed at the Tsa Kwa Luten lodge and did a boat tour to see bears and nature. Have a great time!