Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-07-2016, 06:20 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Then, one has to price out the 1st class seat for Phoenix/Chicago. Some money may still be saved, but it probably involves more long layovers.

It's OK. Come to think of it, people on the east coast will pay back when they want to go to Hawaii, Australia, or to the Orient.

It's just that I have had more trips going east than crossing the Pacific Ocean.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2016, 11:09 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I looked more closely, and found that the $1600 business-class airfare for Chicago/Rome was a special deal from Air Berlin. The normal airfare is around $3500, which is more commensurate with the $4100 airfare for Phoenix/Rome.

Oh well. With this kind of rate, it will be a long time before I can get out of the coach class, which is a mere $732. By the way, I learned that there's even a non-stop flight for Chicago/Rome.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:40 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Yes. Cheap airfares if one must sit in bad seats is no deal, IMHO. People of height are especially sensitive to this. There are plenty of ways to save money on vacation. But, cramped seats on a long overseas flight is not one of them.
I guess I haven't had trouble getting the Europe seats I wanted as long as I had a couple of months, and much less time required to get decent domestic seats. We're always buying economy plus seats (this year I used a subscription), and there are usually plenty left that far ahead, although I admit our return from BCN only had two pairs of reclining KL seats left in economy plus and I was glad to be able to nab one of them. None left on the AB side. (767-300)

I usually try to have us flying on Tuesdays or Wednesdays when planes aren't quite as full. Although some legs, like IAH to AMS seem to usually fly packed no matter what day of the week.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:45 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Audrey1's advice is the OP is timely and makes sense. On the other hand, sometimes it also makes sense to book a deal when it looks good, even at the risk of missing on a better deal down the road.

We are headed to Germany July and in February I was able to book 2 refundable business class fares for a bit more than double the non-refundable coach fare. I have looked at fares since then and seen a few business class fares a bit cheaper, but nothing refundable even comes close in any class, and there is a very small chance of a last minute change in plans, so the full refund matters.
Whoa - I haven't seen anything like that, let alone refundable. Yes - I'd jump on it too!

United offered us to upgrade to business class for $6,700 per person on our $653 economy tickets when we purchased - ROTFLOL! I'm pretty sure I saw $4,800 offered through google flights. Maybe that was a refundable price - LOL!
Old 06-08-2016, 08:11 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I looked more closely, and found that the $1600 business-class airfare for Chicago/Rome was a special deal from Air Berlin. The normal airfare is around $3500, which is more commensurate with the $4100 airfare for Phoenix/Rome.

Oh well. With this kind of rate, it will be a long time before I can get out of the coach class, which is a mere $732. By the way, I learned that there's even a non-stop flight for Chicago/Rome.
I just bought 2 bulkhead seats on a MSP-London for 99 dollars each way per seat. I happen to believe it's a great value. I think many airlines offer this under different names. That's one reason I don't wait for last minute fare drops, my SIL was on this flight last year for a last minute business trip and even with some status on Delta ended up in the middle seat on a row of 5...I'd pay plenty to avoid that happening to me.

Keep an eye on what theDelta Comfort+ customers will enjoy:

More legroom and on select longer flights, extra recline

Premium snacks and complimentary Starbucks®, beer, wine and spirits on most flights*

Seat location toward the front of the plane which means customers are among the first off

Access to Sky Priority® boarding and dedicated overhead bin space which means customers will be among the first on the plane to get their carry-on stowed**

Wi-Fi, where available

Complimentary pillow, blanket and sleep kits available on certain transcontinental flights and long haul international flights

Complimentary pillow and blanket available on request on other flights

Complimentary premium entertainment through Delta Studio™ where available†
*Premium snacks available on flights over 900 miles and select route call Delta comfort or what name your airline uses
Old 06-08-2016, 08:36 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

$199 RT to London! OMG!
Old 06-08-2016, 08:43 AM   #27

I agree, Sweet, I've paid 130 RT for some 1500 miles domestic trips. I thought it was under priced another reason I was ready to buy after you told us about the sale.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:24 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Totally amazing!

Now, imagine if you can buy low/sell high cheap airline seats like you do stocks.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Totally amazing!

Now, imagine if you can buy low/sell high cheap airline seats like you do stocks.
In case my post was misunderstood, because I wasn't specific enough the 198 was for the comfort plus upgrade, not the ticket price. Sorry if I confused anybody..The fees for a MSP-London ticket are 227 RT so a 200 dollar ticket isn't even possible!
Old 06-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
In case my post was misunderstood, because I wasn't specific enough the 198 was for the comfort plus upgrade, not the ticket price. Sorry if I confused anybody..The fees for a MSP-London ticket are 227 RT so a 200 dollar ticket isn't even possible!
Well - you had me there. My mind was blown!

I'm used to paying plenty for economy plus upgrades on international RT flights, so the subscription for E+ quickly pays for itself. I about broke even buying the subscription for a RT to Hawaii earlier this year, so no more E+ upgrade fees this year and I was able to pick our seats even before paying for the tickets.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:25 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

BTW - our tickets were $653 yesterday, $1112 today.

Which with a Saturday flight out I would have considered a quite decent price as they were higher the last two years.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well - you had me there. My mind was blown!

I'm used to paying plenty for economy plus upgrades on international RT flights, so the subscription for E+ quickly pays for itself. I about broke even buying the subscription for a RT to Hawaii earlier this year, so no more E+ upgrade fees this year and I was able to pick our seats even before paying for the tickets.
Sorry about that