Hire expensive private driver or wing it

It is possible to take public transportation to Saturnia. From Florence or Rome, you take the train to Grosseto, then take the RAMA bus to Saturnia. It is a long trip by bus, about 3 hours, so it is not a day trip by public transportation. While the train part is easy (trenitalia.it--you can convert the site to English), the bus schedules are often confusing and notoriously subject to change. Like most travel in Italy, plan for plenty of time and enjoy the ride as well as the destination. Rather than a private driver, you might check to see if you can find a tour to the area--could be cheaper. And by the way, don't listen to those who state that no one speaks English. I've travelled extensively in Italy, especially in Tuscany and Lazio, and rarely if ever found anyone who didn't speak or at least understand English. Roads, too, are excellent and clearly marked with easily understood international symbols and city/town directions. For my money, I'd rent a car. Enjoy: Saturnia is a treat!

I'll chime in and say don't be too concerned about driving in Italy and about not speaking Italian. You should of course learn as much as you can, but I've driven around the Maremma and, while you run into less English speakers there than in the cities, you can usually find someone. And, as someone else said, sign language and other languages (especially Spanish or French) can also be used. I traveled once for 3 weeks in Italy with a friend who spoke high school Spanish with an American accent -- he did just fine!

It seems stressful when you're anticipating it, but the situations where you find someone kind to help you (or even the situations where you don't!) are often the most memorable, fun parts of a trip.

I had no problems figuring out the regional busses in Italy nor the trains. It's all pretty easy. But maybe I'm a more experienced traveler than you? Probably not.

Well, our main goal is to get to the hot springs and back. I guess I need to plan more to see how much spare time we would have to make extra use of the car.

Oo, good to know that the bus schedules are not 100% reliable. That definitely factors into the decision.

I've got an app on my phone; I type in what I want to say, it plays it back in just about any language I want. I've gotten some pretty surprised looks when my phone asks someone where's the bathrooms. ha!!

Most countries are very curious about Americans and many know enough English so as to make each other understood anyways. I've been to 21 countries and can't say language barriers have ever made the trip less and usually added to the whole foreign atmosphere.

BTW, you might be surprised which countries are the most difficult to converse. New Zealand for me is almost impossible. I can't believe they speak English. I was at a store, like a K-mart here in the states, and checking out. They kept asking me a question before they would begin check-out. I couldn't understand what the clerk was asking. I figured she was asking if I was paying cash or credit or something like that. Eventually I understood that bags for your goods are not free. They charge 3 cents NZ for a bag and she wanted to know if I wanted a bag or if I had my own or just load back into the cart. While it's English technically, with an accent and their own vernacular slang, I couldn't make anything out!! ha!!

many people who know English in a foreign country didn't learn it from an American. As such, they hardly understand English when it's spoken by an American. (unless they watch a lot of US movies) I found it easy to write down what I wanted to convey. They can read English much better. Once asked a Japanese girl for a game; nintendo. She did not know what I was talking about, never heard of nintendo. I wrote it on a piece of paper. She said, 'oh! Nin Ten DO! Not Nin TEN do. They use the last syllable emphasized, not the middle.

Last edited:
I've got an app on my phone; I type in what I want to say, it plays it back in just about any language I want. I've gotten some pretty surprised looks when my phone asks someone where's the bathrooms. ha!!

Most countries are very curious about Americans and many know enough English so as to make each other understood anyways. I've been to 21 countries and can't say language barriers have ever made the trip less and usually added to the whole foreign atmosphere.

BTW, you might be surprised which countries are the most difficult to converse. New Zealand for me is almost impossible. I can't believe they speak English. I was at a store, like a K-mart here in the states, and checking out. They kept asking me a question before they would begin check-out. I couldn't understand what the clerk was asking. I figured she was asking if I was paying cash or credit or something like that. Eventually I understood that bags for your goods are not free. They charge 3 cents NZ for a bag and she wanted to know if I wanted a bag or if I had my own or just load back into the cart. While it's English technically, with an accent and their own vernacular slang, I couldn't make anything out!! ha!!

many people who know English in a foreign country didn't learn it from an American. As such, they hardly understand English when it's spoken by an American. (unless they watch a lot of US movies) I found it easy to write down what I wanted to convey. They can read English much better. Once asked a Japanese girl for a game; nintendo. She did not know what I was talking about, never heard of nintendo. I wrote it on a piece of paper. She said, 'oh! Nin Ten DO! Not Nin TEN do. They use the last syllable emphasized, not the middle.
I've not had that experience outside the US, but I sure have in here US. Sometimes I wasn't even sure we are speaking the same language as I travel around the country.

As for not being understood, it happens to me occasionally at home when DW and I are discussing the finer points of an issue, and also here to the forum, but usually limited to discussion of certain topics, like taxes and such. Can't say for sure it is language however.

We bought our GPS in Europe while on vacation there this summer. I even worked up enough nerve to drive through Paris and only survived b/c of the GPS. I believe we paid about $100 for it over there.

Generally speaking, I would worry little about being stranded anywhere. I have been to many countries where their language looks like art work to me. You are very fortunate to speak english, as that seems to be the default of anywhere I have been.

Learn to drive a stick and pack light!

...many people who know English in a foreign country didn't learn it from an American. As such, they hardly understand English when it's spoken by an American. (unless they watch a lot of US movies) ....

Or MTV. We've found traveling in Europe that many of the children (otherwise well-educated :)) of our acquaintances speak "American English" without a trace of an accent to our ear.

I am going to answer the OP question...

Wing it

Italy Experience

So we rented a car in Florence and drove all over the countryside on multiple trips.

All ok, except there are parts of the city that are restricted. I drove through 2 of them and 6 months later got two tickets for 180$. I was able to use the hotel to get one removed, but ended up paying the other one.

Guess the recommendation is to make sure you know what restricted signs look like. Ask for information from the hotel.

Thanks for the reminder about the ZTI zones in Italy - tripadvisor and slowtravel cautioned against those.

I feel much relieved about having to learn Italian, but I'll try to learn basic phrases since that seemed to work for people.

We rent cars in Europe often-this year in the UK, Turkey, and Italy. We have never had a problem with the language. If you can drive a standard even better as automatic transmissions are expensive.

Driving in Italy is not issue. In Tuscany you need to watch out for traffic cameras (they are marked) as you can get a nasty surprise a few months after returning home. Also, many towns have restricted areas (well marked) where only people with permits can drive. You need to watch out for these otherwise you may be ticketed. This past May we paid $225US for one week rental, including insurance, for a small diesel Fiat with standard transmission.

We also use a Garmin GPS with European maps. Much better than renting one. Our preferred vendor is Autoeurope.

Sorry, somehow this thread did not show up on my radar until today.

$1000/day is criminal. I am sure you can do better. Use the internet to look for bilingual guides. Call the tourist board. etc.

We find it best to hire a bilingual driver. A little English is better than none. More is better. They explain things and make the trip much more interesting.

I drove a rental in Holland. Not sure I would try it in Italy.

We have been living for over a year in Azerbaijan. No way would I drive here. We are not up to public transportation either. We hardly know any Azeri or Russian. From friends and co-workers, we found local taxi drivers who speak enough English for us and we ring them up. We hired a private driver for weekends for about $60/day who spoke very good English and provided her own car. She explained a lot about this country and this city. It was a bargain!

There are countries where you should not drive. MichaelB could tell you about Venezuela. Long ago, a colleague who had worked there for Exxon told me that you needed a local driver. If there was any problem, it was going to be your fault if you drove. In many places in the Middle East, I have been told if you are even a passenger and there is an accident, jump out and run away. The law is that if you had not been there, there would have been no accident, so it is your fault.

As everyone says, it is country-specific. Always, if you drive, get good insurance! In an expat forum, it was suggested that when renting a car, you should take pictures of the car immediately all around so they can't ding you for existing damage. Remember, you are always the rich gringo.

Rent a car and drive yourself and enjoy the adventure. Italy is easy to find your way around. If lost, ask a young person (under 18) as most have taken English in school. I had a 6 speed manual Alpha last time I was there and had no problems. Only issue was I drove into some restricted area in Florance and they sent me a ticket for 130 euros. I must have missed the sign while looking for a specific parking location. (Rick Steves book recommendation) I just wrote deceased on the envelope and sent it back. Probably should have paid it as we now want to go back to Italy and will rent a car. Probably end up in jail this time. But 130 euros because I went around the block to get back to my starting point seems a bit onerous. 20 euros and I would have paid it.

I have rented cars in most countries with no problems. Italy, Germany, Australia, UK, Malaysia, France, Spain, Singapore, and a few others. There are places where I usually get a driver. Mexico City, Sal Paulo, China, India, and a few others. Most because they are very inexpensive or not safe alone and it helps with time management.

Another vote for renting a car and driving yourself. We've rented cars throughout Europe including Italy (Tuscany, Umbria). We much prefer being on our own. In general, we take public transportation in cities and rental cars in the countryside.

We always bring a pocket dictionary just in case, but have only had to use it in restaurants w/o English menus :LOL:. Now with an int'l smartphone, that won't be necessary.

Paying $1,000 for a car and driver seems outrageous, even in Italy. (I live in Asia and pay my driver about $400/month to work 12 hours/6 days week (including a food and phone allowance) and he is extremely well paid.

Hard to believe you'd even need a driver in Italy or that you couldn't find one for a few hundred dollars/day at most!

I believe the consensus that renting is easier than I had thought. However, right now we're looking into the driver after all, because of the style of our excursion (just a few hours wanting to spend at the natural hot springs). We will pay a few hundred dollars to gain about a day of sightseeing-time. It would make sense to rent if we were staying in Tuscany for any length of time.

I will remember all the tips I've read here though when we go on a near future trip where we do rent.

It means a lot to hear certain things I'd read on faceless websites, from actual people on this board. It really crystallizes out what is the real advice and what is inaccurate.

The driver we're looking at is $850 for a full day. Others were maybe 20% cheaper, but I have a better feeling about this one. All were mentioned a lot on the cruisecritic forums; that was the only way I could assemble a short list.

Neither of us have experience driving in unfamiliar, foreign surroundings.

You will be fine driving in Italy! In fact, you will probably drive better than the local driver that you were going to hire... You will be the best behaved driver around...:D. No, seriously, rent a car with a GPS. You will have much more fun, will be able to stop wherever you see a nice spot (and there are a lot of those in Tuscany) and will develop the confidence to do it again in a more challenging environment ( like in the UK, where they drive on the left ). That will mean more fun for the rest of your life.
I drove all over Europe before they had GPSs.. no trouble at all, other than getting lost occasionally.

Well, still will most likely stick with the hired expensive driver. At least it'll make me appreciate much more how unnecessary that expenditure was, when I do get the chance to rent.

Lesson is that I need to prepare trips farther in advance, because if I had, I would have had some time to practice stick driving as well as been more able to look at maps and routes for driving ourselves.

The only time we hired a driver was when we visited the Amalfi Coast, when we hired a driver for the day. I wanted to look out the window and see everything rather than keep my eyes glued to the road navigating the switchbacks.

We took the local bus. It departed right in front of the train station of Sorrento. The high seating of the bus gave an excellent view of the coast, while a passenger in a car seat might have problems looking over the walls along the scenic drive. My guide book said there were very few points where one could stop, and that was true.

With the bus, we hopped off at Amalfi and Positano to do some walking around for sightseeing. We also had lunch at a restaurant on Positano's beach, which involved a bit of a hike from and to the highway. A memorable trip!

Back
Top Bottom