Join Early Retirement Today

home exchange
Old 10-08-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

home exchange

has anyone in this forum exchanged their home with either a domestic (U.S.) or foreign party? we are looking into it as a way to spend more time in one spot (several weeks or months) so as to get to know the area better and save some money. there are websites devoted to this but first hand experience is always better, in my view.
grateful
grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful View Post
has anyone in this forum exchanged their home with either a domestic (U.S.) or foreign party? we are looking into it as a way to spend more time in one spot (several weeks or months) so as to get to know the area better and save some money. there are websites devoted to this but first hand experience is always better, in my view.
grateful
Oh no you dint!
This is almost the exact post you made on 4/11/07!!
Did you think the world changed since then?
Could you not comprehend that our memory is longer than our male members?
Do you realize the agony you have inflicted on the mental mass residing here?
Why…Why…Why? Does the term SEARCH mean anything to you?
I…may….explode..! FAQ FAQ FAQ FAQ

But on topic, I missed your earlier post. I have properties in Diamond Head, Waikiki, SFBay area and Vegas, baby that I’m probably going to vacation rent/house swap in the near future. Where is your property? My thinking is to have Honolulu as a 6 month base and travel Europe/Oz/and major US Cities 1-3 months at a time. I would prefer to swap with the same group of people for at least a 5 year term. I find most of the other swap sites are geared to working people who only want to swap 1-2 weeks at a time. It seems that there are not a lot of people here who would swap. Not sure if it’s because they’re in LBYM areas or what. I'm looking mainly for singles or couples. PM me if you are possibly interested in the areas I will have available.
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
home exchange
Old 10-08-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

home exchange

i did search the travel information archive for the term "home exchange" and got no hits before i posted. yes, the world can have changed in six months as i assume new members are always joining the group who may have new experience to offer. i resent your reply.
grateful
grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:29 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post

But on topic, I missed your earlier post. I have properties in Diamond Head, Waikiki, SFBay area and Vegas, baby that I’m probably going to vacation rent/house swap in the near future. Where is your property?

Hmmm. I haven't given much thought to this. Are you interested in staying in a close in DC townhouse on Capitol Hill, DC (just listed as one of the top ten neighborhoods in the country). Catch is you would have to dog sit for three Golden Retrievers Where is your SF Bay area house? How about the HI houses?
Old 10-09-2007, 08:44 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We home swap with people in San Diego for 3 weeks and with people in Toronto (Kiwartha Lakes) for 4 weeks. We have 2 friendly cats and 2 cars that come with our penthouse. See more Welcome to Keith & Faye's WebSpace!.

Our future plans include Hawaii, Australia, Tuscany and Provence. Probably not every year but regularly like 2-3 times in 5 years. We are considering purchasing another property in PV MX that would also be in the mix.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Nice place. So how do you feel about dogs and DC?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:08 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Catch is you would have to dog sit for three Golden Retrievers Where is your SF Bay area house? How about the HI houses?
[/size]
Dogs are good. My Bay Area home is pretty much in the most central area of the Bay. I work in the City and can drive in in 30 minutes or 2 1/2 hours depending on traffic. Public transportation gets me there in 45 minutes.
In Hawaii I have two 1bedroom condos on the slopes of Diamond Head just outside Waikiki. In Waikiki, a stones throw from the International Marketplace, I have a two bed two bath, a one bedroom and a studio.
One of the Diamond Head condo's and all in Waikiki allow pets. My Jack has traveled to Hawaii 5 times since the quarantine restrictions have been relaxed. DC would be one of the American cities that I would like to spend extended time. I have several IRS friends that are based out of there.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:32 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm curious about the economics. If your home is desirable for a vacation swap, wouldn't it also be desirable for a vacation rental?

There are two homes on my street that are rented out on a seasonal basis. Seems like the rental income would significantly offset your vacation expenses, plus you have their credit card on hand in case of property destruction. You also have a lot more flexibility in terms of your own vacation planning.

The only upside I see to a swap is that you're eaching holding a virtual shotgun to one another's head, and that means you'll treat the homes well.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:00 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Dogs are good...
One of the Diamond Head condo's and all in Waikiki allow pets.
Nah, my dogs don't fly. I want someone to feed them and take them for a walk while staying in my house.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:52 PM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post

The only upside I see to a swap is that you're eaching holding a virtual shotgun to one another's head, and that means you'll treat the homes well.
Taxes on $4,000 a month rental. Stash needed to generate $4,000 month to rent. No 11.45% vacation rental tax. But it's not really about the money.

Some places would not be available to rent on the open market but available to swap. Some Honolulu residential areas are having trouble with illegal vacation rentals.

Special services such as pet handling/stocking kitchens for repeat swappers/getting to know the neighbors. Swapping cars.

The personal care because of the relationship.

Although I'm not vacation renting now I develop relationships with my tenants. This past spring when I was placing a new tenant in my studio I met my 7 year tenants for dinner and invited along their friend who is from a famous Hawaiian musical family. After dinner we ended up in the last dive bar in Waikiki where he sat in with the band and played music while my tenants a Hawaiian/Haole couple me and the Jack in the Bag(my dog goes everywhere) have a pretty memorable evening. On that trip I also got invited by a tenant to the High School graduation party of one of the star players of the state high school champions. Lots of local entertainers, good food and I get seated with a Chicago Playboy Bunny with stories of Buddy Hackett and the good old days. Good times!

This is what I hope to fill my retirement with. Hotels are nice and all but if you go to the bar everybodies on their cell chatting in their own world.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:37 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Nice place. So how do you feel about dogs and DC?
Love goldens. It would be a bonus. We used to have dogs before downsizing. DC is much like Vancouver in weather and greenery so it would be fine. Plus it is close to some good friends in Snow Hills MD.