Hot Air Balloon Flight

Derslickmeister

Recycles dryer sheets
We are going out to Angel Fire, NM next month and are considering taking a hot air balloon flight in Taos. Has anyone done this and is it worth the expense, $220/person? It is something I have always wanted to do, but being such a tight wad it's really hard to cough up $880 for the four of us (DW, me, DD and SIL).

Did one in Ontario around 40 years ago......can't recall what it cost......(apparently it's best to do it in the winter as you get more time in the air, due to the temperature differences inside/outside the balloon).......enjoyed it though.

I've been on two hot air balloon flights, both on the company's dime. I enjoyed both but could not see paying $220 out of my own pocket for the experience.

DW surprised me for our thirty year anniversary. What a wonderful time! The flight was great the only noise is the burn to go up. The pilot kept dropping down across large corn fields and tickle the tassels with the basket. Then hit the gas to fly over the trees. Saw all kinds of wildlife, none of which wanted anything to do with us.

That said the pilot and her chase guy came to our 20 acres and we flew across our property. Seemed like it was about the same price. We probably were up 3 hours. Landed many miles from home.

I'd find out how long the flight is planned for and if it's just the 4 of you.

DW surprised me for our thirty year anniversary. What a wonderful time! The flight was great the only noise is the burn to go up. The pilot kept dropping down across large corn fields and tickle the tassels with the basket. Then hit the gas to fly over the trees. Saw all kinds of wildlife, none of which wanted anything to do with us.

That said the pilot and her chase guy came to our 20 acres and we flew across our property. Seemed like it was about the same price. We probably were up 3 hours. Landed many miles from home.

I'd find out how long the flight is planned for and if it's just the 4 of you.

Thanks, yes it will be just the four of us. Total flight time is a little over an hour. They fly into the Rio Grande gorge (touching down in the river when possible). The price includes champagne breakfast (whatever that is) and transportation to and from the take off site.

We took a balloon ride in Sedona, Az about 8 years ago. I think it was about $150 per person. Great time and worth it IMO. Scenery was fantastic. It was about an hour in the air. We did have an interesting landing - scraping some small tree tops on the way down.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Saw all kinds of wildlife, none of which wanted anything to do with us.

We went over farmland.....cows would stand still, look up and up until their heads were touching their backs; horses would run in circles; cats would dash off porches into shrubbery, and dogs would just bark.

Also went through (Indian) cornfields, (the corn had been picked), with the basket low to the ground, separating the stalks as we passed through.

Went for a hot-air balloon ride, outside of Scottsdale AZ, back in the '90's. Don't know what it cost because the co. paid for it, on a trip DH had won. But it was truly spectacular (and I'm scared of heights)! It was about an hour long, and views of the deserts and mesas were breath-taking (and I'm not usually "into" deserts---- I had just come along to enjoy the free trip).

Most likely it was costly. DH's company spared no expense on these "President's Club" trips. We used to refer to such trips as "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous."

After we enjoyed the company's dime, later vacations found us back at the Best Westerns.
:blush:

Last edited:
I did one in Ontario about 40 years ago too. It was in the Labatt's balloon and was great fun. The Labatt Brewing Company, headquartered in London, Ontario, had promotional hot air balloons that toured around and my dad new the regional rep. I wasn't in a position to benefit from the free beer but the ride was way better in my mind! Labatt's is now part of the InBev Group.

I took DW (then DG) on a hot-air balloon ride for her 30th birthday. It was a sunrise ride, and was awesome! Not sure we paid $200 for it, but I would once!

Reported in these pages some time ago, DW and I took a hot air balloon ride which cost (IIRC $60/hour each - 25 years ago.) The ballon eventually "crashed" (a semi-controlled emergency landing.) DW still suffers some issues from the event. The cost is so high due to the balloon maintenance as well as propane as best I recall.

With the bad news out of the way, the ride was fantastic until the very end. YMMV

Thanks for the replys guys. DW and I will be flying in Taos July 28th. Hopefully it will be memorable but not as eventful as Koolau's experience :)

Yes it's expensive but everyone should have the experience at east once IMO. We took a hot air balloon ride in Napa, it was just wonderful. I'd do it again despite the expense.

Back
Top Bottom