Join Early Retirement Today

Hotel Recommendations Paris and London
Old 11-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hotel Recommendations Paris and London

DH and I are booked on a cruise that leaves out of England in September 2010. We are planning to spend a few days in Paris prior to the cruise and a few days in London after the cruise. We have never been to either city. We need to find comfortable, safe, reasonably priced hotels in both cities. Because we are staying just a few days in each place we would like to stay in areas close to tourist attractions or near subway, etc. Does any body here have any recommendations?
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds interesting. What's the itinerary?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

I've stayed at the Kensington Palace Hotel .It is with the Thistle group of hotels . It was near public transportation and lots of restaurants and shops nearby . Rooms were small but nice and it included breakfast . Make sure to try Wheatabrix ! It's like Metamucil made into a cereal .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

We are going on the Celebrity Eclipse. It is a fourteen day cruise that hits ports in France, Portugal, and Spain. The Eclipse is the newest Celebrity ship to be launched next year. We were just on the Solstice (a sister ship to the Eclipse) and loved everything about it. We did Italy, Greece, and Turkey on the Solstice.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Moemg.

I think I will pass on the Wheatabrix, doesn't sound nice at all! Thanks for the recommendadation. I looked at the Kensignton Palace Hotel on line and it looks good. Did you think the location was good for you?
Old 11-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I have never stayed in a hotel in London, but if you are looking for some interesting accomodation options in Paris do check out, Welcome at Alcôve & Agapes Bed and Breakfast in Paris - The best of the Paris' B&Bs We did stay with in the 5th arr - inner circle of Paris subway. The landlady/B&B owner was great and it was quite different and more fun than a hotel. Also might work out to be cheaper. We paid E110/night with breakfast included

-h
Hotel in Paris
Old 11-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Hotel in Paris

We have stayed at the Hotel Saint Germain des Prés, at 36, Rue Bonaparte Paris a couple years ago. This is a fairly small place, about two blocks from a metro line, and a 15 minute walk to The Louvre or Musée d'Orsay. Bistro Lipp is a block away, and there are a number of other dining establishments that are less pricey along the Boulevard St Germain a couple blocks away, down to the ubiquitous crepe carts. It's about 4 blocks to Passage Dauphine, a 'mall' from 1786. The Luxembourg Gardens is perhaps a 30 minute walk away.

Hôtel Saint-Germain-Des-Prés

About 10 years ago we did a huge family trip, with 5 days in London, 5 in Paris, then onto the train to Barcalona to catch a Mediterranian cruise for two weeks. That was fun! Travel tip: On the trains we took to Barcelona, they sold coach, 1st class, and offered separately a 'seat reservation' for a small extra fee. We bought the seat reservation, and were glad we did. When we switched from the TGV to the Barcelona train, the 1st class seating reminded me of a 1950's US train, old but comfortable. Our family were the only ones in the car. Ah, but as the train went along the French coast towards Spain, it filled up. Boy, did it fill up. 1st class had about 30 standees in our car, who were all surprised that a 1st Class ticket was sold sans seat!
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We rented an apartment in Paris and I highly recommend it IF you stay for a week or so. vrbo.com is a good source.

There is a great little (& inexpensive) pocket book on the bakeries in Paris called Amazon.com: Boulangerie!: A Pocket Guide to Paris's Famous Bakeries (9781580080651): Jack Armstrong, Delores Wilson: Books
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #9

I've traveled alot, and always chose to stay in small family run hotels or pensions. Cheaper (alot), and you get more of a feel of what the average person is really like in that country. Just my opinion, because I want to be with the natives when I travel.

I went to London last with no hotel reservations at all--like I've ALWAYS done in all the foreign travels I've had (23 countries so far). There are hotel accommodation desks in each railway or airport for travelers in Europe/Scandanavia who are only too glad to help you if you tell them your price range and what you are looking for as they get a commission on each booking they do. They will call the hotel or pension for you, and make the reservation for you on the spot. I have no idea what else they do as this is all I have ever used them for--other than simple questions like, "what time does the flea market open?"
They will tell you how to get to the place and will speak English, also, if that's a concern (they have to be fluent in English to work there). Different system totally over there than here. So, if you leave with no reservations I wouldn't worry about it one bit.

When you get there just tell the hotel accommodation desk that you want to be so close to the action as possible but in a SAFE area. You surely don't want to be near the tourist attractions that are surrounded by a crime area, and it happens. Again, they will speak fluent English, and my experience with them has always been positive every place I've been.

Both Paris and London have extensive innercity rail systems, so you might want to purchase cheap rail maps when you get there. And definitely use all your tricks to hide your money and avoid someone slashing your straps and running away with an expensive camera, tote bag, you wife's purse, etc. Lots of pickpockets and thieves target American travelers.

If you check some of the travel sites--assuming nobody here comes up with names for you to use that you like--there will be ratings and information on different places to stay in both cities. Lots of the net about this if you feel more secure with reservations ahead of time.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:16 AM   #10

The Paddington Hilton isn't a bad spot. They have the most comfy beds and lovely fluffy duvets. It is located at Paddington station so is convenient for the trains and the tube and not that far from Oxford St.

The breakfast that Moemg actually speaks of is Weetabix and it is actually quite nice. We have our own version in Australia, Weetbix and it's one of the biggest breakfast cereals.

Weetabix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cool cheap thing to do in Paris = catacombs. You go down down down then see skulls and bones stacked to the ceiling, totally weird experience.

Very convenient right under the city center.

Also cool and free = that one cemetery I forget the name. Beautiful settings and you run across such names Chopin, Wilde, Morrison, Callas, etc.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:44 PM   #12

Paris flea markets, too. World famous.