Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-02-2015, 07:18 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks, everyone. Some food for thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
We travel a good bit and have used housecarers, friends stopping by, and now a roommate. All have different pros and cons. I'd say that the roommate is the easiest by far.

Depending on how long you go, you can find some great housesitters who would enjoy your rural location and the chance to explore your hometown.

One thing I suggest is to write an honest but positive description of who and what you are looking for, while extolling the virtues of your particular area. With that, you should get a good response and can weed through the replies to find your perfect match.

AND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I was thinking of getting a roommate. Charge not too much, and they get a place. It generates some additional income too.
Objectively, a roommate situation makes the most sense, especially since the house is put together with separate sections to make living with teenagers easier on the ears. But we’ve gotten way too used to our privacy since kids left for school. (And we’d have to get dressed for the hot tub!)

Also, guess we are kind of rural; never thought of it that way, despite owning a tractor. But only 12 minutes from departing flights drop off, 25 from the state capital building, and commuter train access to the downtown entertainment district; so not too rural if we end up seeking a young (or young at heart) house sitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Our long term plan when the kids are launched is to move to a more lock and go condo or townhouse.
Yep, this is our eventual plan as well. If we are lucky, we’ll be convinced to sell by a developer at or before retirement. Otherwise, we’ll build off the ideas we gather from this thread and other locations....

A few people raised the idea of IP cameras. Have to look into that more closely; it has a lot of promise. Agree that mail holds/forwards and automatic bill payment mostly work well. Thinking about it, there are only a couple of payees that I haven’t been able to automate (prop. tax and grass cutting). Property tax bills can be dealt with by paying well in advance (they are very low here). And if we don’t have someone local watching things over, I could hire a lawn cutting service that is more expensive, but comfortable with receiving payment via email or ACH...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2015, 07:41 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We go away from our houses for 6 months at a time. No need to get a sitter unless you've got something special going on. Just turn off the water, adjust the thermostat appropriately, tell your neighbors to call the fire department if they see smoke, and go.

We do have neighbors that have our phone number if something major happens. Our northern(ish) house is bigger and more complicated, so I pay our lawn guy to check it out after major storms and such to make sure nothing blew off or broke. But that's it. No big deal.

Oh yeah, to do this method you do have to get rid of indoor plants. Not that big of a sacrifice, IMHO.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:46 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

what services do you go to when looking for a housesitter? that sounds like a nice way to see parts of the country.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #24

frank, this might be a good place to start your research:
Find House Sitters | House Sitting Guide USA Australia Canada NZ UK worldwide

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #25

We hired a college daughter of a friend to house and pet sit. The first two times were wonderful, but we came back after Christmas to find that the dogs had gone to the bathroom all through the house and she hasn't even cleaned it up. I don't think she was here regularly to let them out. Her parents live very close, so even though it was during the holidays, she could have run over and let them out twice a day. I was not happy and will not use her again. So it's back to the kennel or we find a new person.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #26

Question about house/pet sitters from the website above: About how much would one expect to pay for house sitting plus 3 dogs and a cat?

Old 01-02-2015, 12:05 PM   #27

We've never paid the housesitters who move in for weeks at a time. It is an exchange of labor for staying in the home, hence the careful matching of expectations.

I have paid some local friends a couple of times when we were gone less than a week. $25 a day for one visit per day.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
house watcher when extensive traveling
Old 01-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #28

house watcher when extensive traveling

Thanks, Sarah.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

We are away from our largest house for most of the year and have our landscaper watch it during both extended periods (summer and winter). He checks it inside and out and takes care of minor issues and repairs. We pay him what amounts to around $50 per visit. Worth it because he does an extensive checklist.

We don't want cameras, smart thermostats, etc., because part of the point is not fussing over it when we are not there. There is an alarm system that will deal with intrusion, hot temps, cold temps, water, smoke, carbon monoxide, you name it, but it runs itself.

At our smaller house, which is unoccupied nine + months per year, we have a caretaker who visits weekly and checks before and after storms. The house is drained and winterized, and the heat is left on at a low setting. He can deal with minor repairs.

At our condo, which is unoccupied for seven or so months a year, the manager and staff take complete care of it, inside and out.

We take our dog with us for all but short trips (up to two weeks), and kennel him during those. We would not travel without him for longer than that, not fair to him and part of being a dog owner.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:33 PM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

You might try advertising on Workampers.com, or Workers on Wheels which is work-for-rvers-and-campers.com.

Both cater to the mobile RV crowd, if you can provide water, power and possibly a method for them to dump holding tanks, you can probably find someone who would trade housesitting for a quiet parking spot.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:44 PM   #31

My family, friends and neighbors trade off keeping an eye on houses, getting mail and pets. Though I've never had to do it for longer than a week. My parents keep an eye on a neighbors home while he's in Florida for the Winter. My one neighbor always sends his older dog to the kennel when he's gone due to injections that the dog requires. I pick up his dog before he gets home so he doesn't have to worry about getting to the kennel. We do have one neighbor that no one will ask to house sit/watch because they are nosey.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:21 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I've noticed a 'landscaper' theme which implies that a lot of people 'have a landscaper' year round. We do our own yard maintenance, and have been leery of turning it all over to someone else. Let alone allowing them into the house!
Somebody - it had to be from another neighbor on our shared driveway, who does use a landscaper year-round - walked down our driveway and stole the electric hedge trimmer right out of our garage. (I say it had to be their landscapers, because nobody else is going to turn off the main road, travel 700+ feet down a shared driveway and target our house, just to take a hedge trimmer). Think we're going to let that kind of person in our home? Riiiiight!

Amethyst
Old 01-03-2015, 11:11 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Crooks be everywhere, as do honest people. You have to make the call yourself. Our lawn guy is a great guy, does all sorts of stuff for us. Back when I was working long hours DW convinced me that spending my few weekend hours mowing was a poor use of time/money. I continued having it done even after ER. I could mow, but these guys edge and blow and do all sorts of stuff. Worth it to me.

Having said that, even though our guy is great, all he does for us as far as house watching is make sure nothing on the exterior is damaged by storms. It's not that hard to shut a house down. With the water off and a generator managing electric outages there's nothing that can really go wrong inside. Add in a security system for break ins and we feel well covered.