Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How do you make calls and use data when traveling to Europe?
Old 08-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How do you make calls and use data when traveling to Europe?

We have a Verizon plan that allows us to use data or make calls for $10/day, and we don’t pay unless we use it. DH is thinking this is the best way to operate when we’re in Greece for 44 days. We probably won’t use it every day, but since my phone # has been provided to all of the places we’re staying, companies we’re taking a tour with, etc., I can imagine we’ll use it quite a bit. Also I can envision using google maps and other such tools as we drive around.

Is there a less expensive way to do this without changing one’s cell number? We thought about a prepaid phone or changing out the SIM card (my phone is fully paid for), but then we wouldn’t have the same phone number.

In the scheme of things, even if we used my phone/data every day, it doesn’t add that much to the total cost of the trip - $440. But just wondering if there is a better way that others have used.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2018, 11:27 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I have Verizon and that's what I do.

Went to Europe a few months ago and it was no problem.

They let you know every day that a new charge is starting.

I used it every day because we like to walk around and need google maps.

There were a couple settings I had to change when I got there but it was easy.

Once you're back in the US the charges stop; you don't have to notify them.
Luvdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:53 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We bought a 30 day SIM card in Italy for 40 euros. We found that we did not use it enough to justify it. In-bound calls are a problem though if they are calling you US number. I think roaming is the way to go. That's what we do now!
Old 08-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

T-Mobile One covers us in Europe - free texts, free data, free calls to/from US if it's done by WiFi calling. Otherwise it was 20c a minute, but I think it might have gone up slightly. 25c now.

We do a lot of texting, data, FaceTime, and WiFi calling when we travel in Europe. Rarely do we get charged the minute rate for calls.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #5

Historically we bought sim cards in each country. Earlier this year we switched to the T Mobile 55+ plan. Data and texts are free in Europe and calls are 25 cents per minute. Wifi calls are also free. We are headed over later this year. Hopefully it will be seamless. Very impressed with T Mobile's coverage in the States.

Shout out to Audrey1. Thanks for your input and help on TMobile. Very pleased.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:12 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I know when europeans visit the US they either buy a burner phone or replacement sim card for the phone they have. The T mobile answer sounds good.

Also worth noting, if you have a Tablet (or phone) with an onboard GPS and an app that works off-line you could see where you are without any connection whatsoever. My Apple tablet works this way.
SpartacusSchmartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to buy a sim card in each country. A couple of years ago I switched to Google Project Fi for my phone plan in order to have international coverage. Data is the same price internationally as in the US ($10/GB) and texts are free. I think voice calls cost something but I almost never talk on the phone.
geeky_grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeky_grrl View Post
I used to buy a sim card in each country. A couple of years ago I switched to Google Project Fi for my phone plan in order to have international coverage. Data is the same price internationally as in the US ($10/GB) and texts are free. I think voice calls cost something but I almost never talk on the phone.
+1

Project Fi covers something like 140 countries. Data is flat rated and phone time is either free (Canada) or ten, maybe twenty cents a minute depending on their local deal. No screwing with SIM cards. In January I easily made a call home from the transit lounge in Seoul, a brief stop where I never would have bought a SIM card.

Domestically it is nice too for those of us who use limited data because the $10/GB is the rate but you pay only for what you use. I have had months where my data charge was under $1. Almost always it is under $2.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:33 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

So far, we have never taken our phones on vacation even though we are often gone for months at a time.

For the past five years we have used ipads and the web. So far so good. We did take one phone to SE Asia last winter with the intention of buying a SIM card. We did not, however, find it necessary so did we did no bother. Not adverse to it, just have not yet found the need even though we are spontaneous travellers who often only plan and book a few days in advance when on an extended trip.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tmobile one plan. Works internati9nally but they charge for voice (and retrieving voicemail). I read about creating a throwaway Google voice number and forwarding your US number and voicemails to it. A little setup in US required and then "should" work seamlessly when turned on. Only read about it, haven't tried it yet.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:50 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
So far, we have never taken our phones on vacation even though we are often gone for months at a time. ...
For us, a phone is important because we try to use AirBnB wherever we can, and contacting the host to get access or keys can often be the most difficult part of the process. For communications home, we just use email.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:58 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
Historically we bought sim cards in each country. Earlier this year we switched to the T Mobile 55+ plan. Data and texts are free in Europe and calls are 25 cents per minute. Wifi calls are also free. We are headed over later this year. Hopefully it will be seamless. Very impressed with T Mobile's coverage in the States.

Shout out to Audrey1. Thanks for your input and help on TMobile. Very pleased.
, Love this easy way to go.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:59 PM   #13

Another +1 for Project FI here. Never have to think about it and having real time google maps when travelling is really helpful.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:07 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartacusSchmartacus View Post
I know when europeans visit the US they either buy a burner phone or replacement sim card for the phone they have. The T mobile answer sounds good.

Also worth noting, if you have a Tablet (or phone) with an onboard GPS and an app that works off-line you could see where you are without any connection whatsoever. My Apple tablet works this way.
I went through a couple of years of buying SIMS over there, and that got old fast.

If Verizon has a reasonable temp solution for $10, that's cheaper than dealing with a SIM if it includes some data and text as well as calls.Ooops - sorry forgot that was $10 PER DAY if used. What about data and texting?
Old 08-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

We also do the $10/day Verizon international thing. One trip we both used it every day, so $220 while driving through Germany, for calling family and accommodations. Last trip this spring to Ireland neither of us used it at all. We could always find wifi and we didn’t need to deal with accommodations. Next month we will be in Spain for two weeks so maybe only DH (who is in charge of the trip) can have it on as we will need to be in touch with different guides and drivers, and our travelling companions. DH has bought a burner phone in the past for calls only when he was in Switzerland for two weeks by himself and that worked well.

The Tmobile for international is intriguing—something to consider if/when we change plans.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:56 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
T-Mobile One covers us in Europe - free texts, free data, free calls to/from US if it's done by WiFi calling. Otherwise it was 20c a minute, but I think it might have gone up slightly. 25c now.

We do a lot of texting, data, FaceTime, and WiFi calling when we travel in Europe. Rarely do we get charged the minute rate for calls.
AFAIK, ATT does the same thing via WiFi. Just hit the 'wifi calling' icon on your phone. Might get complicated for video and such but....
Old 08-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #17

Also good to know that you can download the maps of your travel areas to your phone before you go. Then you can use Google Maps without a cellular connection by simply relying on the GPS in your phone.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:14 PM   #18
Confused about dryer sheets

We turn off data roaming and don’t answer any calls that we don’t know the caller. We send a few texts back home to to each other and pay the small amount for that. In an emergency (just once) we simply call and receive calls back home and then it’s worth the cost. We have never had extra charges come anywhere close to what we would pay ATT for expanded or international service. Those don’t make calls/data free, just cheaper. Use WiFi when available, which is pretty much all over. I use a free app called Ulsan CityMaps2Go which gives me great directions on pre-downloaded countries and cities without using cellular date.
Fshnfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #19

Turn off data and use wifi only. If I really needed to take a call and there was no wifi I could turn it on and depending on the country it is $5 to $10 per 24 hour period commencing when one makes first contact. Up to a maximum of the total for 5 24 hour periods in a calendar month.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Also good to know that you can download the maps of your travel areas to your phone before you go. Then you can use Google Maps without a cellular connection by simply relying on the GPS in your phone.

Yes this is a good tip. Or download them with wifi when you are there.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote