Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #141
Recycles dryer sheets

We spent a little bit over $20,000 which included business class airfare from Los Angeles to London. Spent one week in Scotland, 10 days in Moscow and St. Petersburg. Also spent two weeks in London at my sister's place. That was our first long trip since I retired in Jan.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Disappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2014, 04:40 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just got back and tallied up the costs. Method used was a simple tally of the ATM withdrawals and credit card charges. Departed Sept. 10. Returned Nov. 6. Vienna, Budapest, Prague, then Malta for 10 days, Sicily for three weeks, and ended with an eight day Med cruise. Total expenditure was more than I thought. Worked out to $12K US door-door. We had some gratis items whose market value would be about $500, so $12,500 USD would be a more accurate number.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Just got back and tallied up the costs. Method used was a simple tally of the ATM withdrawals and credit card charges. Departed Sept. 10. Returned Nov. 6. Vienna, Budapest, Prague, then Malta for 10 days, Sicily for three weeks, and ended with an eight day Med cruise. Total expenditure was more than I thought. Worked out to $12K US door-door. We had some gratis items whose market value would be about $500, so $12,500 USD would be a more accurate number.
That includes airfare?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Yes-for two of us. Airfare to Vienna. Then to Malta and after to that to Sicily and then to Rome to pick up a cruise. Returned home from Barcelona using a one way cruise air offering. Air travel in Europe was on low cost airlines and worked out very well. Also includes a rental car in Sicily for 10 days, plus some rail/ferry to get to the Aeolian Islands.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

WE have been to europe 4x's. It really depends on the country you visit in regard to cost. We have been to Italy 2x's & Poland 2x's. Italy was way more expensive then Poland. Both are beautiful countries with much to see. Both Sweden & Norway are crazy expensive so doubt we will ever go there. Just spending one nite in each place on way to other destination gave us a first hand look at costs. In fact, we just came back from 2 weeks in Poland & the cost was $4,000. The only time we rented a car was when we did the Tuscany region of Italy which is all small towns & no reliable way to get around.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Our car rental in Sicily was a bargain. $245 CAD for 10 days, all insurances included, for a one way rental w/ no drop off charge. Plus another $50. CAD for a small daily road tax levy of some sort.

We find car rentals in Italy to be a bargain....as long as you stick to smaller standard transmission vehicles.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

I have to learn to drive manual.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #148
gone traveling

3 years ago, I took a little bike ride on my Goldwing, camping every night for 29 days. My wife flew in/out of Boston and stayed with me 12 nights. I spent $1100 including her plane fare. Our next trip will be Key West for New years. That 7 night trip will be less than $1000. $12/night camping one mile from downtown KW. We've taken 3 cruises and enjoyed them, but we don't have the fun on a cruise that we have on our camping trips. for our KW trips, we drive the truck and carry two bicycles, 2 kayaks, 3 kites and kiteboards and everything needed to cook 3 squares a day if we want. Our tent is 10 feet from the water and we spend a lot of time snorkeling, fishing and kayaking from our 'front yard". fortunately, we are both outdoors lovers, health conscious and active.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

About 2k for 2 including airfare. Destination wedding Kansas City to Isla Mujares the little tourist isle off Cancun. 5 days of preplanned activity with some walking around shopping, eating, beach, etc. No diving or expensive tours.

heh heh heh - We have kansas snow birds we can visit in Mission or Port Aransas if it gets too nippy here in KCK. I have yet to convince my wife to to aggressively go 'ski lodging ' yet.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
3 years ago, I took a little bike ride on my Goldwing, camping every night for 29 days. My wife flew in/out of Boston and stayed with me 12 nights. I spent $1100 including her plane fare. Our next trip will be Key West for New years. That 7 night trip will be less than $1000. $12/night camping one mile from downtown KW. We've taken 3 cruises and enjoyed them, but we don't have the fun on a cruise that we have on our camping trips. for our KW trips, we drive the truck and carry two bicycles, 2 kayaks, 3 kites and kiteboards and everything needed to cook 3 squares a day if we want. Our tent is 10 feet from the water and we spend a lot of time snorkeling, fishing and kayaking from our 'front yard". fortunately, we are both outdoors lovers, health conscious and active.
That KW trip sounds great !
How long in advance do you have to reserve camp ground space in KW as I thought its a fairly small but popular spot. Is the camping public ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #151
gone traveling

no reservations accepted or needed for Key West military campground. I tent so I can camp regular or overflow. the rv's have a time period. if there are some waiting for a spot with facilities, some move to overflow for a couple weeks. the rv peeps are there for a few months at a time...
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote