Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #61

I don't have the money to fly business as a regular thing. But I *always* price it out. Sometimes the price difference is so little, it's worth the upgrade. We flew to Kauai in first in 2008 - the price difference per ticket was $75.

I'm flying business class for my big trip this summer. Even coach was super expensive- my open jaw, high season tickets were (and still are) pricing out at $1800. I priced Economy Plus - and it was running about $2600. My DH is 6'4" and my 14 year old is over 6' already... Plus, truthfully, I'm not a skinny-minny - so having a little more width and knee room (I'm 5'9") sounded really good. Business was consistently running over $5k.... no way I could justify that. But - it dipped for a few hours to $3.3k... and I pounced. Kids are flying in coach, and we're in the front of the plane. Actually - the way it worked out - the flights we wanted... business was cheaper than coach for the outbound - so the kids are in business outbound, coach on the return.
The price was back up to the $5k+ for business later that day... Even the BA clerk was shocked by the prices. (Booked through BA - but no british air flights - it's a cobble of AA, vueling, and USair.)

It's a splurge, for sure. One I'm very unlikely to repeat. But I'm really looking forward to being in the front of the plane. (And the euro price savings for lodging and train have offset the increased airfare.)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Something to consider if you do it again:
Last year we paid $3,470 for two of us in Economy Comfort on Icelandair.
Newark to Brussels, with a four-day stopover in Reykjavik.
Since business class was only half full, they put us up in there anyway, and treated us as fully paid business class passengers. Great airline!
Thanks! I'm thinking that if this works out we may do it again as a stopover to/from Europe. DH could probably handle Economy Comfort if we weren't bumped up; I had the equivalent on AA to/from London just after they rolled that out and, while it wasn't Business Class, it was certainly an improvement over Coach.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:51 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Thanks! I'm thinking that if this works out we may do it again as a stopover to/from Europe.
Just to be clear, if you use this Icelandair method, the stopover in Iceland can be as long or as short as you want, and on either or both legs. We found the ground agents and cabin crews to be delightful people, and the overall experience was superior to nearly any other trips we have taken. We will definitely fly them again.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I'm flying business class for my big trip this summer. Even coach was super expensive- my open jaw, high season tickets were (and still are) pricing out at $1800. I priced Economy Plus - and it was running about $2600. My DH is 6'4" and my 14 year old is over 6' already... Plus, truthfully, I'm not a skinny-minny - so having a little more width and knee room (I'm 5'9") sounded really good. Business was consistently running over $5k.... no way I could justify that. But - it dipped for a few hours to $3.3k... and I pounced. Kids are flying in coach, and we're in the front of the plane. Actually - the way it worked out - the flights we wanted... business was cheaper than coach for the outbound - so the kids are in business outbound, coach on the return.
The price was back up to the $5k+ for business later that day... Even the BA clerk was shocked by the prices. (Booked through BA - but no british air flights - it's a cobble of AA, vueling, and USair.)
Wow, I'm impressed. I don't know how to watch for those kinds of dips.

We're flying (open jaw) economy plus. It's around $2K pp with upgrades, $1600 base economy. I easily get scared off of business class because I never see anything under $4k or higher.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #65

Yeah I bought a business class ticket to Munich from SFO, for $3700 in early April.

Coach tickets were running about $1400-1500.

Reason is, I'm trying to make Premier Gold status and they have a spending requirement and the way they calculate the spending doesn't include some fees and taxes so you'd be fortunate to net 90% of the total ticket price to count towards the spending requirement.

I'm questioning whether it's worth it but I'll probably go through with it this year and see what happens.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:53 PM   #66

Quote:
Actually - the way it worked out - the flights we wanted... business was cheaper than coach for the outbound - so the kids are in business outbound, coach on the return.
Ooh, bad idea... you think your kids will ever sit in the back of the bus again?

But seriously: DS and I flew with my first husband on Frequent Flyer miles from NJ to Ohio in Business Class. (The Ex flew on business a lot back then and avoided Coach Class whenever possible.) A few months later, when I flew in Coach with DS, who was about 8 at the time, he said it would be nice if we could fly Business. I reminded him that the year before we'd flown to Montreal, stayed in a nice hotel for a few days, watched an Expos game and seen some of the attractions, for about $1,000 which would be about the extra cost of flying Business on the NJ-Myrtle Beach flight we were on. Bless him, he got the point and understood that sometimes you have to make tradeoffs.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Wow, I'm impressed. I don't know how to watch for those kinds of dips.

We're flying (open jaw) economy plus. It's around $2K pp with upgrades, $1600 base economy. I easily get scared off of business class because I never see anything under $4k or higher.
Pure luck and stalking prices on flights.google.com.... I'd been looking for a deal better than the $1800 coach tickets were running.... and happened to see a dip.... It appeared to be a few hour long dip - because I checked again that afternoon out of curiousity and the rates were back to the higher prices.

I'm hoping to actually SLEEP on the plane - something I don't do well. Lets hope those lie-flat seats are what they're touted to be.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:41 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

about $50 on a 3 hr. flight...
Old 03-19-2015, 05:22 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Pure luck and stalking prices on flights.google.com.... I'd been looking for a deal better than the $1800 coach tickets were running.... and happened to see a dip.... It appeared to be a few hour long dip - because I checked again that afternoon out of curiousity and the rates were back to the higher prices.

I'm hoping to actually SLEEP on the plane - something I don't do well. Lets hope those lie-flat seats are what they're touted to be.
Glad you lucked out. I use google flights too, but I didn't do a lot of checking. I just verified that the $1600 fare I had scoped out a few weeks before was still available. I had to wait a while for my plans to consolidate since it partly depended on family.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:13 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... I'm hoping to actually SLEEP on the plane - something I don't do well. Lets hope those lie-flat seats are what they're touted to be.
Flight time LAX/Sydney non-stop was close to 15 hours. I slept like a baby, and the flight was painless and felt a lot shorter than some torturous coach flights across the US which were only 5 hours.

The next long flight I was on was Atlanta/Tel Aviv, which was 14 hours. Same thing. It makes it difficult for me to fly coach, hence I like RV'ing more now.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:40 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

To appease the missus so that she will continue to go on long RV treks with me, I just hold a week-long cruise out of Fort Lauderdale for later this year.

Cruises do not excite me the same as they did back when I was still working and welcome any chance to relax, but I think I can still enjoy it. What is dreadful is the flight to get to port. Will have to look into that next. We already spend too much money, so coach it will have to be. Arghh!!!!
Old 03-19-2015, 07:51 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
I remembered that someone in the forum posted about actually doing a cruise across the Atlantic instead of flying (although my comment was more spending the money on any cruise, not necessarily taking a cruise across the ocean as an alternative to flying), but didn't remember that it was you.

I will say that your initial comment in the past about cruising trans-Atlantic has always stuck in the back of my mind, and would be an awesome way to travel when I reach the point of retiring, since you should be able to score some pretty good deals (especially if you can go last-minute).
I just price two cruises today. Miami to Barcelona = $470 per person plus tips. Miami to England (Dover IIRC) or Denmark $550 + gratuities. Not the absolute cheapest I've seen, but pretty run of the mill prices for last minute repositioning cruises across the Atlantic.

We're thinking about building a summer 2016 family trip to Europe around one of these repositioning cruises. $2200-2700 plus gratuities for 11-14 days across the Atlantic for our family of 5 in 2 cabins of ~200 sf each, meals, entertainment, "layovers" in a few cities on the way, etc.

As for the OP's question, we were offered an upgrade to 1st on a ~2 hr flight (RDU to MIA) as the first leg of our flight to Montevideo Uruguay (the 9 hours of MIA-MVD wasn't available for upgrade for another $90 unfortunately ). We turned it down since 2 hrs isn't a long flight to me. I would definitely pay $90 for a 9 hr flight. Maybe more. Not $300 though. I can always get up and walk to/from the bathroom to stretch. What would happen if I did pushups in the aisle to get the blood flowing and burn off some energy?
Old 03-20-2015, 12:25 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
....snip....
What would happen if I did pushups in the aisle to get the blood flowing and burn off some energy?
We'd probably hear about a forced emergency landing.:sly:
Old 03-20-2015, 06:55 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
We'd probably hear about a forced emergency landing.:sly:
Cool, I could check a few things off my bucket list. I've never seen the inside of a federal detention facility.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:09 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

... or an asylum?

Hmmm. I wonder if flight attendants carry Taser guns.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:53 PM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just to be clear, if you use this Icelandair method, the stopover in Iceland can be as long or as short as you want, and on either or both legs. We found the ground agents and cabin crews to be delightful people, and the overall experience was superior to nearly any other trips we have taken. We will definitely fly them again.

I took iceland air to reykjavik from LA and I was pretty happy w it also - if you hunt around on their calendar you can find certain flights that are quite a bit cheaper if you are not too picky schedule-wise - at least you could a year ago when I went

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-20-2015, 09:39 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

You guys are corrupting me!
Old 03-20-2015, 10:54 PM   #78

Sorry, Audrey. It's an expensive addiction! DH and I just found it's an easy flight from Reykjavik to Glasgow (Scotland is a favorite destination of ours). If this trip (Iceland only) isn't too hard on DH we could try that with a few days in Iceland in either direction in 2016. Fingers crossed!
Old 03-24-2015, 12:34 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Like I said! I am now officially corrupted. I found an answer for me.

A round trip flight TX to GA for a quick family visit was super cheap. So cheap that I actually looked at first class options for the first time ever.

Looking at the first class versus best coach/economy seat upgrade, first class came out to $66 a leg more (4 legs). So I went for it!
Old 03-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #80

Yeah but a short domestic flight might not have much in the way of first or business class.

You might get a meal and a little more space.

Some coast to coast flights have lie-flat seats so you can sleep.

You might check seatguru.com to see the configuration of the planes, see what kind of amenities first class seats have on them. You might get personal screens, power for your devices. Those might be nice amenities if coach seats on the same planes don't have them.