Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-15-2015, 07:38 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It surprises me that some of the same people here who would pay $300 extra for a 4 hr flight wont pay $300 for maybe 4 months of cable. It really goes to show you that different people have different priorities.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2015, 07:52 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Last week, I was coming back from Raleigh/Durham to Houston and got upgraded to First on United. A first for me since Continental was sucked in to the bad deal by United (Grrrr).

First class meal was a cold cheese and tomato sandwich on what looked like thin cheese bread and a single oatmeal cookie. Oh, forgot the salad in a very small finger bowl. Small bag of mixed nuts preceded the meal.

The two Europeans siitting across from my seat (who just flew Lufthansa in to RDU) just laughed and handed the trays back to the flight attendant.

My how things have changed.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:44 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I flew to Bali in December, and they offered me an upgrade to first class... for $2000! I declined.
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:52 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
After flying over 30 years I became totally burned out by the experience. Last month to get me on a plane, DW purchased first class tickets for an additional $150 on a Delta flight from DTW to FLL. Well worth it as it streamlined the process for a cranky old man. No lines at check in, three free bags, decent lunch, and did I say no lines.
Did you get any permanent status in 30 years?

I made the 2 million mile club on American which gives me lifetime Platinum status. So even with a coach seat I skip the lines. 1 million miles was lifetime gold, also good for skipping lines.

So for me the upgrade is all about the seat.
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #25

For transatlantic econo+ is now our standard (I'm 6'6") to long haul flights.

I'd love to get offered an upgrade to the big seats for another $300. Never has happened though. Every time I'm tempted to try business class on a flight to europe it's basically double the price so I decline.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:41 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
After I've booked economy class tickets on United, they frequently offer me the chance to buy up to business/first class. For a 3 hour domestic flight they usually want $300 for the round-trip. Which seems kind of steep, although if you were planning on buying "economy plus" (+$100) and checking a bag (+$50) then the incremental cost to get to first is only $150. Still more than I want to spend on a 3 hour flight. I think at +4 hours, the $300 upgrade would be worth it. But of course they want more than $300 for those longer flights.
I'm in the camp that would almost never pay for it.

Granted, IF I were flying on an airline that charged for checking a bag, and it were a long flight (10+ hours), I MIGHT consider it - but for most international flights, they'd want probably $1,000+++ for upgrading. And most int'l flights give you at least 1 or 2 checked bags for free.

I realize some people need leg room because of their height, but when I think about it, I just imagine taking a nice 7 day cruise with that pile of money they want to charge me, and think "Would I rather sit in a seat with more legroom for just a few hours and maybe get an alcoholic drink or two, and some crappy meal....or, spend an entire week on a cruise ship with some activities for the same money?".
Old 03-15-2015, 10:11 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

6'2" 330# $20. My restlessness is more of a bother than being cramped.
mike143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:35 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post

I realize some people need leg room because of their height, but when I think about it, I just imagine taking a nice 7 day cruise with that pile of money they want to charge me, and think "Would I rather sit in a seat with more legroom for just a few hours and maybe get an alcoholic drink or two, and some crappy meal....or, spend an entire week on a cruise ship with some activities for the same money?".
2 years ago we went to the UK and Europe and since I was having some really bad back problems I told DW that for the first time I wanted to pay for Business Class tickets. She came back to me a few days later and suggested "The Crossing" with Cunard. 8 days on a luxury liner, the Queen Elizabeth, between NYC and Southampton, return a few months later on the Queen Mary, cost of return trip $1,600, and a great experience. I doubt we'll ever fly to Europe again when there are no time constraints.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:40 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
One of the few pleasures left in flying, for me, is sitting at a window seat on a nice day, sipping a glass of wine, listening to good music and maybe snapping pictures.

When I flew a lot and occasionally got upgrades due to my status, it tended to be on a one-hour flight in the morning. I most certainly don't drink in the morning unless it's the Champagne at the beginning of a transatlantic flight!
I haven't had any wine on board that I particularly cared for. Maybe it was the plastic glass, LOL!

Had a mimosa once - wasn't bad.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:56 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I haven't had any wine on board that I particularly cared for. Maybe it was the plastic glass, LOL!

Had a mimosa once - wasn't bad.
I had 6 mimosas once, the flight attendant stumbled as she approached me and tipped the whole tray over me. This was just before a 17.5 hour flight to Mumbai from Newark. It was a good thing that the glasses were plastic
Old 03-15-2015, 04:02 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I had 6 mimosas once, the flight attendant stumbled as she approached me and tipped the whole tray over me. This was just before a 17.5 hour flight to Mumbai from Newark. It was a good thing that the glasses were plastic
Oh no!!!
Old 03-15-2015, 04:09 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I travel very little now but pay for premium+ and would consider booking business for any international travel.
+1
Ever since TSA got involved, flying has become a chore instead of a pleasure.

Last couple of flights have been Economy Plus, and well worth it. So we'll keep doing that from now on. For the long flights over 2,000 miles, I gulp but pay for business class. I figure my years of long flights are not going to last that much longer, so it makes sense to get as much pleasure out of them as possible.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:20 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Chalk me up as another economy plus ticket buyer and I would probably have taken that $300 offer too. From my local non-hub airport, Delta offers reasonably priced first class tickets that route through Atlanta. Boarding early means no worries about finding space in the over head bins and I'm sipping a screwdriver while the "cattle" fill up the back of the plane Oh, and my 6'3" frame has plenty of room to stretch out even on the regional jets they fly on the shorter hops.

I wish that business class upgrades were a better deal (cheaper) for flights to Europe, but when I tried to use my miles to upgrade myself last year on a flight to London, it just didn't make economic sense, so I went with the nearly free economy ticket and paid for the plus seating upgrade. It was fine.

Oh, and regarding the cable TV comment; at $50 a month, if I can figure out a way to cut that darn cable, that gives me $600 in airfare upgrades to treat myself to.
NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:25 PM   #34

I probably wouldn't pay to upgrade. I am 5'3" tall and the airplane seat is plenty wide for me. I've turned down exit row seats (even when free) and pointed out that the extra space would be wasted on me.

I always feel sorry for people who are tall, it looks very uncomfortable/painful to have knees jammed against the seat in front.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:39 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I'll pay, at least for economy +.

I'm agoraphobic and getting packed into the back of a small tube with 200+ of my closest friends is not fun.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:00 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I still remember when I flied Phoenix/Long Beach for business day trips. They served breakfast to everybody, and the flight was only 1 hour long. My memory is fuzzy, but I think the fare was perhaps $150/RT for coach. With inflation, that would be $375 in today's dollars.

Just out of curiosity, I looked up Phoenix/LAX RT in the same day, and Southwest charged $231. The difference with the old fare is a lot more than the food.

Ah, the old memory. It was more than 30 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Last week, I was coming back from Raleigh/Durham to Houston and got upgraded to First on United. A first for me since Continental was sucked in to the bad deal by United (Grrrr).

First class meal was a cold cheese and tomato sandwich on what looked like thin cheese bread and a single oatmeal cookie. Oh, forgot the salad in a very small finger bowl. Small bag of mixed nuts preceded the meal.

The two Europeans siitting across from my seat (who just flew Lufthansa in to RDU) just laughed and handed the trays back to the flight attendant.

My how things have changed.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:47 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I still remember when I flied Phoenix/Long Beach for business day trips. They served breakfast to everybody, and the flight was only 1 hour long. My memory is fuzzy, but I think the fare was perhaps $150/RT for coach. With inflation, that would be $375 in today's dollars.

Just out of curiosity, I looked up Phoenix/LAX RT in the same day, and Southwest charged $231. The difference with the old fare is a lot more than the food.

Ah, the old memory. It was more than 30 years ago.
The old days are long gone now that the airlines have instituted the "revenue model", aka, squeeze as many $$$ out of the passenger as you can.

That IAH - RDU round trip I took last week in coach was $1300+. No wonder they gave me an upgrade (or was it because of the 1,000,000 + system miles I have on United/Continental)

I'm at the tail end of the career flying stuff and have seen a lot since 1980 when I started heavy business travel. Nothing is fun anymore with air travel, period.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:58 PM   #38

Quote:
2 years ago we went to the UK and Europe and since I was having some really bad back problems I told DW that for the first time I wanted to pay for Business Class tickets. She came back to me a few days later and suggested "The Crossing" with Cunard. 8 days on a luxury liner, the Queen Elizabeth, between NYC and Southampton, return a few months later on the Queen Mary, cost of return trip $1,600, and a great experience. I doubt we'll ever fly to Europe again when there are no time constraints.
After reading all this today, I starting googling Cunard and it looks quite interesting.

Even getting a balcony room seems cheaper than flying (depending on a few things, but certainly it's close). I mentioned it to DW and she said, "we certainly have the time". So I'm putting this on the definitely maybe for next year. We're doing a 15 day mediterranean cruise next spring, so we'll have to see how that goes first.

[I actually spent 5 nights on the old QEII back in the 80's. It was strictly all in port. My company had chartered it for a large trade show in Boston. Very nice]
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:26 PM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
After reading all this today, I starting googling Cunard and it looks quite interesting.

Even getting a balcony room seems cheaper than flying (depending on a few things, but certainly it's close). I mentioned it to DW and she said, "we certainly have the time". So I'm putting this on the definitely maybe for next year. We're doing a 15 day mediterranean cruise next spring, so we'll have to see how that goes first.

[I actually spent 5 nights on the old QEII back in the 80's. It was strictly all in port. My company had chartered it for a large trade show in Boston. Very nice]
For the crossings we took inside cabins since it is all at sea apart from New York and sailing up the Solent into Southampton. Less need for a window or balcony when all you can see is sea.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:35 PM   #40

Quote:
I remembered that someone in the forum posted about actually doing a cruise across the Atlantic instead of flying (although my comment was more spending the money on any cruise, not necessarily taking a cruise across the ocean as an alternative to flying), but didn't remember that it was you.

I will say that your initial comment in the past about cruising trans-Atlantic has always stuck in the back of my mind, and would be an awesome way to travel when I reach the point of retiring, since you should be able to score some pretty good deals (especially if you can go last-minute).