Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I think you mean stay 10 nights get 1 night free?

Yes, that's what I mean. It's usually not quite a 10% savings, but close enough for my calculations.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
Yes, that's what I mean. It's usually not quite a 10% savings, but close enough for my calculations.
The "one night free" is quite a flexible perk. You should use it for a hotel that is equal to or more expensive than the value of the free night.

From hotels.com
  • You can redeem your free night for a night of greater value and pay the difference.
  • You can redeem your free night for a night of lesser value and forfeit the difference.

From the hotels.com web site
"The value of your free night will be the average price of the previous 10 nights you collect. You only pay taxes and fees"

walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:01 AM   #43

Do you actually have to select free night or does it do automatically for you. I haven't booked for 10 nights yet.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:53 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Do you actually have to select free night or does it do automatically for you. I haven't booked for 10 nights yet.

It's been awhile since I've booked a room, but if I remember correctly it is given to you as an option at checkout.

I remember that it was easy to redeem.

I looked for instructions and yes, it's during checkout.

http://hotelsen.custhelp.com/app/ans...rewards-nights
Old 04-26-2017, 10:11 AM   #45

So I booked something today, but they were all cancellable. They are place holders. One is where I wouldn't mind staying and the other one is very good value, good location. But I buy myself 9 months of cancellable option.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:47 PM   #46

So update with my search on French Polynesia travel plan. I was able to cancel one hotel on OWB, it was expensive and from what I've read the water is shallow, has no view. So it's a waste of money. However, I was managed to replace it with right on the ocean lodging for less than half the price. Pretty sweet spot. Kind of ideal. This is on Moorea island.
On Bora Bora, I made inquiry to one of the Marlon Brando OWB on vrbo, but my research shows that this area has strong currrent and I have to pay $80 a day for extra car rental; I need a car for this area because it's remote. But it has fantastic views. So overall it looks like I will keep my Bora Bora booking until I find better upgrade, not booking on VRBO.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:34 AM   #47
Administrator

I just learned a good lesson about Travelocity. Over Labor Day weekend, we flew out to Missouri for a wedding. As I have done before, I booked the plane tickets through Travelocity. They offered a "package deal" with the plane tickets and a hotel. Since all the hotels out there are virtually the same, I took them up on it.

When we got back home, I saw on my credit card statement that the hotel had charged us for the stay, which they shouldn't have done, because it was prepaid through Travelocity. I called Travelocity and they got things straightened out in a day, with the hotel giving me an offsetting merchant credit. So kudos to them for that.

But here's the catch -- the charge directly from the hotel was $20 less per night than what I paid Travelocity. The lesson? Always check the price of the hotel on their own website before you take the Travelocity package "deal."
Old 09-16-2017, 07:37 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As the Romans used to say, Caveat Freakin' Emptor.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:42 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I just learned a good lesson about Travelocity. Over Labor Day weekend, we flew out to Missouri for a wedding. As I have done before, I booked the plane tickets through Travelocity. They offered a "package deal" with the plane tickets and a hotel. Since all the hotels out there are virtually the same, I took them up on it.

When we got back home, I saw on my credit card statement that the hotel had charged us for the stay, which they shouldn't have done, because it was prepaid through Travelocity. I called Travelocity and they got things straightened out in a day, with the hotel giving me an offsetting merchant credit. So kudos to them for that.

But here's the catch -- the charge directly from the hotel was $20 less per night than what I paid Travelocity. The lesson? Always check the price of the hotel on their own website before you take the Travelocity package "deal."
Since this is a package how do you know the hotel portion of the Travelocity bill,I'm just curious because I thought that was pretty opaque pricing...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:56 AM   #50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Since this is a package how do you know the hotel portion of the Travelocity bill,I'm just curious because I thought that was pretty opaque pricing...
My American Express bill tells me, because the Travelocity charges for the two plane tickets are separately billed (one charge for each ticket/passenger)and are explicitly designated as plane tickets with the ticket number, itineraries and such included. There is a third Travelocity charge on my Amex bill representing the hotel portion.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:05 AM   #51

Quote:
My American Express bill tells me, because the Travelocity charges for the two plane tickets are separately billed (one charge for each ticket/passenger)and are explicitly designated as plane tickets with the ticket number, itineraries and such included. There is a third Travelocity charge on my Amex bill representing the hotel portion.
That's interesting because Expedia use just the total with no breakdown. I can back into a hotel price by looking at ticket price the day I book,but I don't know if Expedia gets any price breaks from the airlines.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:24 AM   #52

Our experience is that the best prices have been either through opaque booking sites like Hotwire,etc, on bidding sites like Priceline, or directly through the hotel or the hotel chain. This is, in our experience, very city centric. The latter especially if you book for three nights, pre pay, etc. We have had some great deals through Accor, Marriott, Hilton, Melia, etc. We make a point of belonging to their clubs. This often results in an additional discount.

We do use Expedia,Booking.com etc. to look at hotels however we always first try to book direct either with the hotel or with the chain in Europe or Asia. This inevitably results in a lower price, a better room, or additional benefits such as breakfast or parking. For smaller properties we always ask if there is a discount for cash. Not unusual in Europe to get a 10 percent discount for cash IF we have booked direct.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #53

Marriott has a really good best price guarantee as well. 25% off any price lower then Marriott.com. I used to have really good luck with this but it seems as though they have tightened up and it's harder to find lower prices on line.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:58 AM   #54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
As the Romans used to say, Caveat Freakin' Emptor.
Yes, it was a relatively inexpensive reminder of that timeless wisdom.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:04 AM   #55

We spent time in Costa Rica last winter. In one area we arranged a hotel for two nights.

We decided to stay in the area. We looked up other acccommadation on tripavisor and booking.com on the next beach down from where we were staying. Noted the prices. Then we drove over to one of the places on our shortlist. Spoke to the owner, had a tour of the rooms. Made it clear that it was a cash deal for four or five nights.

Bottom line, price went down by about 40 percent and we got an upgraded room as compared to what was offered on booking.com. Plus, we knew exactly what we were getting...no surprises. Right down to the specific room We even tested out the internet prior to doing the deal. We have done this several times in various locations. We are flexible travellers and we often decide to stay in one place for longer....or leave earlier than we anticipated.

We often phone, or email as well. Ask directly for their best price based on type of room etc. Most places are very happy to provide discounts when they do not have to pay large commissions to the booking engines. And in smaller family run hotels an 'off the books' cash transaction can be very attractive.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #56

Booking.com and Expedia can be a double edged sword for these family owned properties. The commissions can be high. We favor a small family owned resort on the beach in Playa and one year out of the blue they offered a 80 a night price for early winter which included breakfast and dinner. We booked it ASAP. At dinner one night we were talking to a Canadian couple who booked the same deal. A couple who visited every year at the same time (for like 20 years) tended to book early. They were paying 180 a night and were not happy. They went right to the front desk and had a talk to the manager/owner.....they got their bill adjusted, not sure how much got taken off.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:57 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yeah - I never book through Expedia or Travelocity, etc., because sometimes something goes wrong with the reservation being lost, and they rarely have a better price than going directly to the hotel anyway, so it's simpler to cut out the middle man. Only in a few rare circumstances have I used them because they had availability while the hotel did not have it directly. And then I always confirm my reservation with the hotel.

Oh yeah - and I learned years ago to book flights directly with the airlines. Things like changing seat locations can be done anytime and is free. And if there are problems with flights - so much easier to rebook.

I always double check package deals. It's rarely a deal if you have other access to discounts.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:08 PM   #58

Me too.

I book flights with the airlines and hotels with the hotels.

I don't want to save any money, I want things to go right.

I don't deal with middlemen, I go straight to the source.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:13 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Booking through the hotel is a great idea especially with the smaller, family owned hotels. The booking agencies take a huge percentage of the rent in return for their service. By booking directly, you help the small guy stay in business and often they will toss in some extras. Or, if a small room or a superior room are both open they will give you the superior room and let the booking agency people have the small room.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:06 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

When I booked a hotel in Vienna, DH and I read several reports of hotels "losing" booking.com reservations, or moving booking.com customers to a sister hotel.

Not very scrupulous. But something that can happen if they aren't happy with the middleman.