Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-02-2017, 07:56 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I use flyertalk, they have both a premium (business and first) forum for cheap seats up front and another for mileage run deals and super low and mistake fares. Finally, I use flights.google.com to track specific routes and flights. You can then turn on a the option to track the fare and get an email from google every time it changes.
Clover5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2017, 08:43 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I typically use Travelocity for my travel. Recently, while traveling in Southeast Asia I discovered that there are many cheap airlines that are not listed in Travelocity. I've been finding the sites for the airports I want to go to and seeing what airlines use that airport. Then I go to that airline's site and check out the prices. Basically, doing what you had to do before sites like Travelocity and Expedia. I think this is probably a useful strategy for travel to smaller airports outside the US.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:36 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our experience in Asia, Europe, and Australia is that there are many airlines/flights that do not show up on the likes of expedia and travelocity.
Same for kayak etc.

We do the same. First we google something like discount airlines in....or as above we look up the airport site and see what airlines they service.

We recently booked several flights in South America and Central America. Directly, and at prices and in one case, a carrier that was not on the 'popular' sites.

Poking around the web for a hour or two can yield some very good benefits.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:34 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Our experience in Asia, Europe, and Australia is that there are many airlines/flights that do not show up on the likes of expedia and travelocity.
Same for kayak etc.
How about Google Flights? They came up with Transavia for a flight from AMS to Munich. But we have little experience with flights within Europe (let alone Asia and Australia).
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:20 PM   #25

I use airfarewatchdog.com. You can sign up for city specific alerts and also specific route alerts.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:16 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

We have found that google air and matrix it will usually show all of the options. But there have been a few times where they have not. Last winter we picked up two Jetstar flights, Saigon-DaLat and Hanoi-Bangkok, that did not show up. Some flights were there, but not all for some reason.

We had the same experience in Europe, specifically with Veuling, Pegasus, and Atlasjet. Some of the flights did not seem to show up.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:49 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

if you are close to Houston , DFW , or Austin use Escape Houston , Escape Austin and Escape DFW.

Budapest Hungry 435.00 RT London RT 579.00 plenty of others
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
if you are close to Houston , DFW , or Austin use Escape Houston , Escape Austin and Escape DFW.

Budapest Hungry 435.00 RT London RT 579.00 plenty of others

Thanks for the tip. Looks promising.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Has anybody noticed that the cheapest flights seem to be always much longer in duration, regardless of which website you use, ?
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:25 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Has anybody noticed that the cheapest flights seem to be always much longer in duration, regardless of which website you use, ?
Just think how much more you're getting for your money....

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:33 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Just think how much more you're getting for your money....
Yep! It makes no sense right? You are on board longer which means they are spending more on fuel, but you end up paying less. Anyway, if your direct flight time is less than 5 hours and you end up spending extra few hours on the plane, or a little extra for layover, that may not be so bad, but my direct flight total flight time is already 13.5 hours, so when that becomes 30+ hours (including layover), the whole thing becomes a bit ridiculous
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes, but not always.

The last really good offer we took advantage of was a one hour plus mid day flight from Saigon to DaLat, Vietnam last Feb. It did not show up on the popular sites. We logged on to the Jetsar site, saw the flight/fare for $27CAN net of taxes (we only do carry on) for two days hence so we booked it. The bus was about the same price but took 13 hours. It made up our minds as to where we wanted to go next.

Did exactly the same for a few other Jetstar flights over the past several years. It could be that the flight offers come and go with the space of less than an hour. Don't know. We experienced the same with a Vueling and a TAP flight in Europe.

We have learned the hard way to be prepared to push the button and book a good offer because the flight/price could vanish in the blink or an eye or when you log back in to book ten minutes later.