Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-27-2019, 09:05 AM   #101
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
1) Get rid of the nasty bed covers. I know they are never washed, so the first thing I do is try to find a place to put it out of the way.

2) Offer a choice of pillows. Not everyone likes a fat foam pillow that acts like a Pogo stick under your head.

3) Pay your employees. I should not have to tip a person that I have never and will never meet.
AMEN about the tipping thing!!
Shardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2019, 09:42 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
One compliant that I have seen pop up regularly in reviews is that the walls between rooms are too thin. Guests don't like to hear what's going on in the room next to them when they are trying to sleep or watch TV.

Honestly, I consider this an interesting feature, perhaps because I can fall asleep regardless of the noise level. The sounds and conversations have been fascinating and many times more entertaining than watching TV. The only conversation type I have not heard was a stock or fund tip that I might have tried to make money off of.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:29 PM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wincherr View Post
I’m surprised this wasn’t mentioned more. Those darned duvet covers. Besides the cleanliness issues, who in the world sleeps under 4” of “stuff”. Every time I check in, I immediately rip that thing off the bed and pray there is a blanket in the closet. I have written Hilton over and over about it.
I'm with you on the duvets. I love a hotel that has an extra blanket in the closet. We take the stuffing out and use the blanket, we just use the duvet cover.

AC units that turn off and on all night are a pet peeve, too.

Recently stayed at the Hampton Inn Airport in Boston and loved their AC unit plus they had a blanket in the closet so we could get rid of the duvet. Good breakfast and their shuttle dropped us off at Mario's Restaurant, which had great food. Plan to stay there every time we fly out of Logan.
PawPrint53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:06 PM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Some of my pet peeves:

The last post reminded me of high-end hotels that either don't offer complimentary van service to/from the airport, or they charge you for it.

I like places with free parking. Paying $40 or more per day for parking, when you are already paying considerable for a room, is ridiculous (unless you are in the heart of NYC).

And I really dislike places that tack on a gratuitous "resort fee" whether or not you use anything besides your room.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:33 AM   #105
gone traveling

Watch out for the hidden charges called " safety deposit charge". A few hotels along I-95 in the Southern US I have stayed at have tried to add on this daily fee usually $5 per day. I decline it the front desk employee takes it off my bill.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

When we travel our preference is for small family run boutique hotels or B&B's. We tend to stay away from the familiar hotel chains where all the rooms are the same. We have stayed in some very quirky and very enjoyable places. The exception would be in some large cities in SE Asia where 5 star hotel rooms are relatively inexpensive compared to North America.

Our experience in hotel parking is that we can usually find a spot for a 1/3 or less within a block of the hotel either by circling the block ourselves or asking the door person to recommend a spot.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:00 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

If you're wondering why more and more hotels have those half length shower doors that don't keep the water from splashing onto the bathroom floor, here's one take on that matter:

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/the...el-shower-door

Quote:
Half doors (or no doors) serve a handful of practical purchases as well. Chief among them? They save space. “A lot of it comes down to people trying to design hotel rooms with limited space,” Parker says. “It’s about the swing of the shower door, because it has to open outward for safety reasons, like [if] someone falls in the shower. You have to figure out where the door swing’s going to go, make sure it’s not [hitting] the main door. It’s just about clearances.”

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:35 AM   #108

Absolute cleanliness. Corners, caulk and bed sheets smelling fresh. Did they really change the sheets?
A place to sit and relax other than the bed.
Good coffee with the breakfast. Watered down coffee is the worst.
Pleasant front desk staff'
Our hotel/resort for the past 3.5 weeks in South Padre Island was a bit dated...but housekeeping and cleanliness (excellent), staff very friendly and helpful, 350+ sq. ft. room with nice sitting area and a fantastic breakfast with made to order omelettes and tacos included in room price. And the pool, I swear it was 90 degrees, felt like a therapy pool. The beach access, perfect. We felt welcome and saw license plates from North Dakota, Canada, WI, and even Florida haha.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:58 AM   #109
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Absolute cleanliness. Corners, caulk and bed sheets smelling fresh. Did they really change the sheets?
Our hotel/resort for the past 3.5 weeks in South Padre Island was a bit dated...but housekeeping and cleanliness (excellent), staff very friendly and helpful, 350+ sq. ft. room with nice sitting area and a fantastic breakfast with made to order omelettes and tacos included in room price. And the pool, I swear it was 90 degrees, felt like a therapy pool. The beach access, perfect. We felt welcome and saw license plates from North Dakota, Canada, WI, and even Florida haha.

Will you share the name of this hotel please?
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:04 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
Will you share the name of this hotel please?
Sure, La Copa Hotel/Resort. Many guests stay 2 months there (Jan-Feb, this is considered out of season). I suggest reading TripAdvisor or an independent review site.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 02-29-2020, 09:05 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
How was the weather, since this would be off season.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:19 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
How was the weather, since this would be off season.
Mixed temps from low 80's to mid 60's. Even cloudy, cooler days were nice and with the very warm pool...the nice thing about SPD, there's stuff to do other than beach or shop. I really enjoyed the remote, natural beaches, even on a cooler day. Turtle, Inc., the Bird Sanctuary, many restaurants (loved The Painted Marlin). We made reservations for a full month next year. And, if you stay more than 30 days, no tax on the room. That will save us $450.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 02-29-2020, 09:34 AM   #113
Give me a forum ...

This is getting increasingly common in large/touristy cities. D.C. and Miami being two we are familiar with.

They don't even have to have any amenities. They just charge extra because they can. You won't come back? Fine, others will, don't let the door hit you!

(Might change if we have another recession).

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post

And I really dislike places that tack on a gratuitous "resort fee" whether or not you use anything besides your room.

omni
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote