Join Early Retirement Today

How to improve hotel rooms
Old 04-11-2019, 12:07 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How to improve hotel rooms

My travel adventures have convinced me that many hotel rooms are designed by people who rarely use them. I am talking about then normal rooms people use, not the Presidential Suite or a run down room at the Flea Bag Motel.

For starters, I would love to see more shelf space in bathrooms and a few extra hooks for hanging things. Two people sharing a room can run out to shelf space and hooks very fast.

Any other gripes, err... suggestions?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2019, 03:03 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

In a hotel room right now. No hooks anywhere except in the bathroom.

When in bed - no master switch for killing all the lights. Have to get out of bed.

I understand that hotel rooms must be boring for interior designers but why make the mirror look like it's broken in several places? It's destroying it's function. Please be creative elsewhere.

Queen size beds are OK. But when you sit up against the head the bed should not sail out from the wall a foot or two. Glad I didn't fall in.

This hotel is far from beeing the cheapest in town btw.

Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Should have at least 4 usb chargers, 2 on each nightstand light would work. So I can surf online while iPad/phone are charging
Old 04-11-2019, 05:08 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Agree with the hooks and the charger issue.

I stayed at the Boston airport Hilton last year and they had a neat little hook near the door that folded up against the wall when not in use. Thought it was a great idea to hang a jacket coat or bag- very convenient.

As a tea drinker I hate places that give you a mr coffee type coffee pot and call it a coffee tea maker. Coffee has seeped into the plastic and coffee flavored hot water does NOT work for tea. Some kind of electric kettle please if there is not a microwave or stove top!
Sarah S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:38 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

At one motel I stayed at decades ago, the phone was on a table, not next to the bed, and its cord was too short to reach beyond the far end of the bed. The handset's cord can stretch out, of course, but it was annoying to play tug-of-war with it if I tried to get comfortable on the bed while on the phone.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:55 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

One compliant that I have seen pop up regularly in reviews is that the walls between rooms are too thin. Guests don't like to hear what's going on in the room next to them when they are trying to sleep or watch TV.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:04 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
One compliant that I have seen pop up regularly in reviews is that the walls between rooms are too thin. Guests don't like to hear what's going on in the room next to them when they are trying to sleep or watch TV.
That's why I always bring earplugs when I travel. They help me sleep in noisy hotels.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:17 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
At one motel I stayed at decades ago, the phone was on a table, not next to the bed, and its cord was too short to reach beyond the far end of the bed. The handset's cord can stretch out, of course, but it was annoying to play tug-of-war with it if I tried to get comfortable on the bed while on the phone.

Are you telling us that some people actually use those dinosaur like 'landlines'?
btdt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:22 AM   #9

We categorize hotels as "thin" towel or "thick" towel hotels. I do appreciate the 4 pillows/per queen bed many hotels are providing these days. Many times we've stayed in hotels that don't have bathroom fans. So we have to shower with the door open.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdt22 View Post
Are you telling us that some people actually use those dinosaur like 'landlines'?
Funny you say that, I keep expecting to go into a newer hotels and find there are no phones, but I'm guessing it might be a H and S zoning requirement.

Nothing bugs me as much as some of these hotel phones with flashing red lights that are almost impossible to shut off. I use earplugs and an eye shade to try and sleep. Don't get me started on all the people who think it's OK to let your heavy fireproof hotel door slam shut on it's own at 1 AM.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
We categorize hotels as "thin" towel or "thick" towel hotels. I do appreciate the 4 pillows/per queen bed many hotels are providing these days. Many times we've stayed in hotels that don't have bathroom fans. So we have to shower with the door open.
My number one rule about hotels, travel with my own pillow...
Old 04-11-2019, 07:28 AM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

They always put the electrical outlets behind the head of the bed and make them impossible to get to.
timbervest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:33 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Sometimes I need the door to remain open!
COZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdt22 View Post
Back in 1991, decades ago, they did!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:36 AM   #15

The newer hotels I have stayed in of the chain I frequent due to the rewards points that I have built up over the years have added many of the things mentioned above. In the past year I have had rooms with:

- Many more outlets and USB ports
- Walk-in closets with both hangers and hooks
- A lot of bathroom shelf space (one even provided two bathroom sinks and toilets)
- A pushbutton shower that I really liked - set the water temperature, push the button, the water comes out at that temperature almost instantly
- Single switch at both entrance and near bed to turn off all of the lights
- Energy efficient lighting - leave your card in the door for the lights to operate, when you leave the room with your card, the lights automatically shut off
- Tea bags in the room (as I am not a coffee drinker but love tea)

These have been in newer/renovated buildings, so perhaps the message is getting out (at least with this chain)
Old 04-11-2019, 07:38 AM   #16

jollystomper which chain, that shower feature alone would be enough for me.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:03 AM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

The Air Conditioner/Heaters that sound like a jet engine! FFS! I rent this room to sleep!
justlikebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:10 AM   #18

The thing that's annoying me lately in hotels are those sliding barn doors on the bathroom that don't really close. Some of these "doors" are even made of frosted glass so the light comes through into the bedroom. This is fine if I'm traveling alone, but not if I'm with anyone else.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
jollystomper which chain, that shower feature alone would be enough for me.

Hilton - this was in a DoubleTree built in the last year.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlikebike View Post
The Air Conditioner/Heaters that sound like a jet engine! FFS! I rent this room to sleep!

And the ones that rattle. Which is most of them.

Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote