Join Early Retirement Today

How to secure ebooks in Europe?
Old 04-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How to secure ebooks in Europe?

Let's say you check into your hotel and then want to leave for dinner. What do you do with the electronic gadgets like ebooks (for example, a Kindle Fire) if you do not have a car trunk to stash it in? It would seem to be a bit of a pain to ask the front desk to look after the stuff every time you step out. Perhaps taking too much of a risk leaving it in the room. I suppose one could just bring it along in a little day pack.

Any brilliant thoughts out there?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What kind of hotels are you staying at where you're worried about the theft of a $199 item? And if the hotel is overrun with thieves, I don't know why the front desk staff would be any less likely to pilfer your Kindle than the housekeeping staff...
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
What kind of hotels are you staying at where you're worried about the theft of a $199 item? And if the hotel is overrun with thieves, I don't know why the front desk staff would be any less likely to pilfer your Kindle than the housekeeping staff...
Do I detect a little sarcasm here? I do tend to be cautious. It's not just the $200 item but the data stored on it and the inconvenience -- lost Kindle Fire means no easy internet access, lost maps, lost books, etc. When I'm in the US I secure my laptop in the car trunk when at a hotel and leaving the room.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
Administrator

No brilliant thoughts, but it is something real that I had to deal with for many years, in the US and abroad, and mostly in nice, business type hotels. I travel with a small suitcase and a briefcase that each can be locked with decent external combination locks. Things we cannot afford to lose, such as passports, cash, backup credit cards, go into a hotel safe or stay with me. Things that would be a major loss but are replaceable, such as the laptop, go into the briefcase, which then stays with me or into the suitcase, always locked. I have had a number of things taken from us in hotel rooms but never anything from the briefcase when it was inside the suitcase.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Michael. We do have one of those loop locks for securing suitcases to a fixed post or something (used particularly when on the luggage rack in a train). That might just work in a hotel room too.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Most hotels have either a safe in the room for you....or you an leave it at the front desk and they will put it in their safe. Just don't forget its there!!
itsmyparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I frequently leave laptops, e-readers, cameras and tablets in hotel rooms and have never had any stolen. I'm sure it happens but staff get fired if a couple of reports of theft come in so I doubt most take the chance. If ther is a safe and it fits I use it, otherwise I just toss the stuff in my unlocked bag.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

First, I'm not proposing that all travelers should be as cautious as me. It's OK to take what might be just a minor risk. Second, I'm not really questioning the honesty of most hotel staff. But rooms do get broken into.

If it happens once to you and you experience a major inconvenience on your trip, will you change your habits? If the answer is yes, why not avoid the problem now.

OK maybe I just have an overactive imagination but humor me please .
Old 04-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post

OK maybe I just have an overactive imagination but humor me please .
Very reasonable precaution, IMO. I've been happy to find an in-room safe in my recent hotel stays. Like you say, losing my cheap, 4 YO net-book would be more a major inconvenience issue than an economic loss.

Might be worthwhile to ask the hotel about that prior to booking. And get the size if you have a larger laptop, some would not fit the safes I've seen.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Let's say you don't want to leave valuables in your hotel room so you bring them with you. Are the odds really better that you won't (a) lose it (b) get pickpocketed (c) get mugged than your hotel room would be robbed?

I just don't think a $199 gadget presents an irrestible target compared to stuff that every other tourist has in their room or on their person, so why worry about it?

If you really cannot bear the thought of being without it - why bring it on vacation - it would be much safer in your house. Unless it burns down, or is robbed, or flooded, or there's a tornado, or...
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I lock my valuables in my suitcase and leave it in the room. Never have had a problem. Money, credit cards, ATM card and passport are in my money belt which is with me at all times.
Also, a copy of my itinerary, and emergency number is in the money belt. Having taken these precautions, I really do not worry about it.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I lock my valuables in my suitcase and leave it in the room. Never have had a problem. Money, credit cards, ATM card and passport are in my money belt which is with me at all times. I really do not worry about it.
+1, except we don't have a locking suitcase.

I have also traveled a lot in Europe, both on buisiness and on vacation. If there is a safe in the room I'll use that for the laptop if it is large enough.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I just ordered one of these portable safes for a two-month trip I am planning to Asia. It should fit my netbook, SLR camera, iPod, and other valuables.

Pacsafe Anti-Theft Bags & Travel Security Products | products | Travelsafe 12L
inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
+1, except we don't have a locking suitcase.
Our suitcases don't actually have an installed lock system. But on each of the two zipper pullers there is a metal eyehole that allows you to loop a small lock through.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Our suitcases don't actually have an installed lock system. But on each of the two zipper pullers there is a metal eyehole that allows you to loop a small lock through.
That's like ours. Except the one with the eyehole that was cut off by TSA because we had locked it with TSA compatible locks.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I use the safe for smaller valuables if there is one, and I prefer to stay in hotels that have one. If not, I put valuables in my suitcase and lock it. This applies to passport, money and jewelry. I usually do not lock away electronics such as computer and Kindle.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote