Join Early Retirement Today

How to travel carry on with epi pen?
Old 11-15-2018, 07:41 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How to travel carry on with epi pen?

Hi

My doctor and I recently decided I should carry an epi pen with me in case of a life-threatening allergy situation.

How do I handle carrying an epi pen as I take carry-on luggage only?

Should I give the pen to the flight attendants during the flights?

Should I just FedEx it to my hotel ahead of my trip? It's not hard to avoid the foods I am allergic to for a few days.

I'm severely allergic to shellfish. (Aroma is no problem: I have to eat it.)

The problem usually arises when a restaurant doesn't declare shellfish as an ingredient in a dish. (Like when McDonald's was cooking their fish for sandwiches in the same fat as they cooked shrimp a couple of years ago.) I'll take my own food on the flights or buy sandwiches.
gretah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Your answer below.

What do I need to do to bring my EpiPenŽ on a plane?https://getaway.10best.com/12783041/...pens-on-planes
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:55 PM   #3

look here

I just googled it. I've got medical devices that I need to know how to deal with in the airports.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:18 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Makes sense you would take it on the plane with you, after all what if you fly first class and they serve shrimp cocktails
Old 11-16-2018, 04:15 AM   #5
Administrator

TSA says you can carry it on.

Quote:
EpiPens
Carry On Bags: Yes
Checked Bags: Yes
TSA allows larger amounts of medically necessary liquids, gels, and aerosols in reasonable quantities for your trip, but you must declare them to TSA officers at the checkpoint for inspection.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-.../items/epipens
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:02 AM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Taking this off-topic, especially for those who use epipens. In absolutely no way to suggest that it would represent medical opinion. Just one person's experience.

In 1964, I came as close to death... maybe 5 minutes or less, as I would ever expect. A simple ground wasp sting between the toes, that in a half hour turned into a hospital visit... unconscious and not breathing. adrenaline shot and instant recovery. Until the epipen, in the '70's, the home medicine was Benadryl.

Now of course, it'e the epipen, which despite the lowered cost of $600 until recently, is still expensive. Based on my personal experience, for 35 years, I paid for this religiously. Now I wonder... Does a person grow out of allergies?

Several times over the years, I was stung, and away from my epipens. I would go to the emergency room and wait to see if the anaphylactic shock would... (not signing in for treatment). Aside from minor swelling no further problems.

Two years ago, at camp, I was stung four times. I decided to wait. Calamine, and Tylenol, and no problems.

Now, I wonder... and with some medical agreement that people can and do grow out of allergies. For the years I spent $600 for protection, was it necessary? Further, I can find no recommendations that doctors regularly test for this type of allergy, even though it is quite common. This is obviously big business. How much of it is driven by fear? What might happen if doctors DID test patients to see if they were still allergic?

I am not usually prone to conspiracy theories, and can't find anything about this on line, but... I do wonder.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:10 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I carry mine in my purse when I fly. I have never had a issue.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:53 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Just over four years ago I had an anaphylactic reaction to a wasp sting requiring a trip to the emergency room. Good news! I made it!

Since then, I'm on immunotherapy which will reduce the chance of a severe reaction in the event of a sting. But I also carry an epipen for a backup. To date, I've traveled numerous times in the US, Hawaii, and Europe. Been through TSA in all those places, perhaps 15-20 times, never a question. Always in the carry on.

Carry it always, hopefully you won't need it, but if you do... you'll have it.
oldphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:16 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Taking this off-topic, especially for those who use epipens. In absolutely no way to suggest that it would represent medical opinion. Just one person's experience.

In 1964, I came as close to death... maybe 5 minutes or less, as I would ever expect. A simple ground wasp sting between the toes, that in a half hour turned into a hospital visit... unconscious and not breathing. adrenaline shot and instant recovery. Until the epipen, in the '70's, the home medicine was Benadryl.

Now of course, it'e the epipen, which despite the lowered cost of $600 until recently, is still expensive. Based on my personal experience, for 35 years, I paid for this religiously. Now I wonder... Does a person grow out of allergies?

Several times over the years, I was stung, and away from my epipens. I would go to the emergency room and wait to see if the anaphylactic shock would... (not signing in for treatment). Aside from minor swelling no further problems.

Two years ago, at camp, I was stung four times. I decided to wait. Calamine, and Tylenol, and no problems.

Now, I wonder... and with some medical agreement that people can and do grow out of allergies. For the years I spent $600 for protection, was it necessary? Further, I can find no recommendations that doctors regularly test for this type of allergy, even though it is quite common. This is obviously big business. How much of it is driven by fear? What might happen if doctors DID test patients to see if they were still allergic?

I am not usually prone to conspiracy theories, and can't find anything about this on line, but... I do wonder.
I also had an anaphylactic reaction to a wasp sting requiring an emergency room visit. Followed up with IGE blood tests and skin tests, and am highly positive for numerous wasps/hornets, etc.

Been on immunotherapy since. Doc says I should be able to handle a sting, maybe two, no problem. Literature indicates about 5% chance vs. 80-90% chance without immunotherapy of a severe reaction to a sting. Also carry the epipen for backup.

Had a conversation with doc about if/when to stop. Some think 5 years of immunotherapy should do it. Some stop because of inconvenience and rely on epipen. Bottom line is they just don't know. Grow out of it? I grew in, multiple stings over the years but never a problem and then one time, BOOM! After 5 years of treatment is it better? Will IGE tests show it? Simply put, not known.

Personally, while the regular therapy is less than convenient and all treatment adds up, I can afford to have the immunotherapy and carry an epipen. Beats the alternative, so to speak.

Note to all, they have an expiration time so the $600 cost is not one time, but they are regularly replaced even if not used. While they quote 18 months, given delivery time the realistic replacement time frame is more like 15 months.
oldphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:58 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you for your response! This has been very helpful and websites have been bookmarked.

btw - I have become newly allergic to some things (I enjoyed shellfish until my mid 30s) and lost any problem with reactions to other things (cats no longer bother me).

I have found the under-tongue allergy drops by Allergen very effective - especially the pollen and mold ones. I took antihistamines daily for many years. This year I only needed around 6 pills total.

I wonder if there are allergy drops for shellfish? I won't risk eating it again but it would be nice to have less severe reactions to accidental exposure.
gretah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:07 AM   #11
Confused about dryer sheets

An Auvi-Q pen is a lot less suspicious looking and usually easier to carry, about the size of a deck of cards. Also, they usually have free coupons available. You can tape a prescription to the side of it.

See https://www.auvi-q.com
DougNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:59 PM   #12

I'll declare my meds if they ask, but I haven't yet (I carry insulin pens with me) since no one has ever cared (traveling domestically or internationally). I imagine you'll find the same lack of anyone saying anything about an epi-pen in your carry-on as well.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote