11-15 22 14.10%
16-20 26 16.67%
21-25 16 10.26%
26-30 9 5.77%
over 30 29 18.59%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2017, 10:29 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Made it to 32. Would like to add Australia, Austria and the Czech Republic to the list.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2017, 10:53 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Spent 200 days per year on the road for 30+ years travelling for business with lots of time for personal exploration while there.
Quote:
I'm not eager to leave a large inheritance to a bunch of nieces who won't even talk to me unless I talk to them first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Hi there, favorite uncle, marko.
How ya' doing?
Your very bestest niece,
XOXOXO
redduck
Quote:
Heeeyyyy!! I found an appreciative relative finally!
Now, just send me your full name, address, important PINs and social security number and I'll put you in the will...guaranteed.
Found you. You really do travel a lot. Just the other day you were on a different thread.
Hi, it's me again, uncle marko. Thought I'd just drop by to see how you were doin'.
Oh, you and the numbers, always numbers, hah! You forgot my full name? I hope you haven't forgotten that you're my godfather. But, that's OK, even if you did forget-I forgive you. Oh, I don't have my own social security number-if I need one, my friends let me borrow theirs. But enough about me: let's talk about us…

I was thinking that maybe you could take me to a football game to see our favorite team--you know, the Patriots. I could wear a Tom Brady jersey (it would be neat if you bought me one). Whenever I see Tom Brady on TV, I always think he looks a lot like you--except that you have more of a macho swagger. That's my favorite uncle!!!
Forever and always,
Your very closest niece (and most appreciative relative),
redduck
Old 05-04-2017, 04:05 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Found you. You really do travel a lot. Just the other day you were on a different thread.
Hi, it's me again, uncle marko. Thought I'd just drop by to see how you were doin'.
Oh, you and the numbers, always numbers, hah! You forgot my full name? I hope you haven't forgotten that you're my godfather. But, that's OK, even if you did forget-I forgive you. Oh, I don't have my own social security number-if I need one, my friends let me borrow theirs. But enough about me: let's talk about us…

I was thinking that maybe you could take me to a football game to see our favorite team--you know, the Patriots. I could wear a Tom Brady jersey (it would be neat if you bought me one). Whenever I see Tom Brady on TV, I always think he looks a lot like you--except that you have more of a macho swagger. That's my favorite uncle!!!
Forever and always,
Your very closest niece (and most appreciative relative),
redduck
Finally! A relative who loves me for who I am and not for my money!!
Old 05-04-2017, 04:45 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

if not for those Patriots tickets you would be the invisible uncle.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:48 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Travelled all countries in Europe (including the likes of Andorra, Monaco, Vatican, Lichtenstein, etc etc) in my teens/early 20-ies. Rail passes and hitchhiking (no problem back then ). Then travelled many, more places on business for megacorp. That's part of the reason why I REALLY dislike air travel now and try to avoid it as much as I can.
Ah... I forgot about the Vatican... though I think there is some debate whether it is a country or a soverign city-state.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:53 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Had this debate with a friend when we were each counting countries -

Does having been to Germany, West Germany and East Germany count as 1 or 3?
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:55 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
if not for those Patriots tickets you would be the invisible uncle.
Naw....not my favorite niece redduck! I'm calling my lawyer this morning to change my will. (and increasing nighttime security around the house)
Old 05-04-2017, 05:26 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
I've been to about 40 countries, depending on what you count as a country. I only counted the U.K. once, though I've been to England, Wales, & Scotland (and Guernsey & Jersey). How to count Czechoslovakia if you were there when it was 1 country but were in both parts that later became 2 countries? (I was there when it was 1 country, but only in the part which became the Czech Republic.) How about the Sinai peninsula? I was there when it was still occupied by Israel and not yet returned to Egyptian control. What about the Palestinian Territories? What about Monaco or the Vatican, both of which seem pretty bogus to me? I didn't count Iceland or Japan where I never left the airport, or Cyprus, where I never left the boat.

I've been to all 50 US states & DC, 9 Canadian provinces (though I never got off the train in Saskatchewan), and 19 Mexican states plus Mexico City. Been to every continent except Antarctica.

Nearly all of this was before I retired and it was all pleasure travel, not for work. The vast majority was by bicycle. Since my retirement 5 years ago, eldercare has prevented me from doing as much travel as I'd hoped.
WOW! We have not covered as much territory but we did a lot of our travel, in N America and Europe on our bicycles as well. We have another trip planned for this summer GAP/C&O. A great way to travel. Hope you are still able to get on the bike from time to time.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:26 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not really sure; 50 maybe? The ones that left the most impression and in the end felt like the biggest reward were the worst. Chad, northern Uganda, Rwanda, Liberia etc... Riding the scary ferry between Brazzaville, Congo and Congo-Kinshasa was one of the highlights of my life.
MatatuPuncher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:32 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatatuPuncher View Post
. Riding the scary ferry between Brazzaville, Congo and Congo-Kinshasa was one of the highlights of my life.

You might, if you haven't already read it, find this book enthralling......my post #2568 http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...43066-129.html

Facing the Congo: A Modern-Day Journey Into the Heart of Darkness by Jeffrey Tayler, Paperback | Barnes & Noble®

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:00 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Yep. Great and very accurate book.
MatatuPuncher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:03 AM   #52

Regarding travel to Kinshasa, this epic thread from a couple (Belgian, no less) driving across the D.R.C. in a Toyota Landcruiser in 2008 continues to amaze: Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa - Expedition Portal Really Long thread, with their story being interspersed with commentary, but a worthwhile read. (My personal takeaway was: "Wow, that's interesting.... They're nuts.")
Old 05-04-2017, 08:25 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Regarding travel to Kinshasa, this epic thread from a couple (Belgian, no less) driving across the D.R.C. in a Toyota Landcruiser in 2008 continues to amaze: Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa - Expedition Portal Really Long thread, with their story being interspersed with commentary, but a worthwhile read. (My personal takeaway was: "Wow, that's interesting.... They're nuts.")
Neat! DW, my tech wiz, is going to see if she can somehow download the whole thing to our little laptop for reading on the ship, (with no internet access).

Related: I met this couple, circa 1998, at an RV park in Tsawwassen (Vancouver); they were living in a tent while awaiting the arrival of their vehicle which their sponsor, Toyota, was shipping to Canada......Land Cruiser arrived a few days later:

One Couple's Land Cruiser Lands In Guinness Book Of World Records - Autoblog

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:30 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Currently at the top of our list....Philippines and Thailand for this coming winter.

TransSiberian railway trip, China-St Petersburg, is on my list, not DW's. Looking at Sept but now DD is having a baby Oct 5ish (section) so the the rail trip gets postponed until next year.

Spent fours hours in emerg waiting room last night and spent the time researching both. And thinking about where we had been and where we need to revisit because so much has changed.

I would be happy with a small 1BR pad that serves as a base for six-eight months of travel per year. Not DW. So we are now packing and culling our possessions for a move in a few weeks to a new, larger, permanent abode that we will own. What is surprising? We did a major downsize four years ago. Now, we are downsizing some of the boxes that remain unopened after that time plus some of the decor items. Only downside is that DW expects me to go furniture shopping with her. I hate shopping.....unless it is on line for travel opportunities!
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:59 AM   #55

I've travelled to 28 countries, 36 states, and I w*rk in DC.

Will be adding another state in July, and hopefully another country within a year...
Old 05-04-2017, 10:17 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

We are 6 to 10....but....been working in Africa since 2003.....permanent resident basis for oilfield.
Not much travel for fun...all work....
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:43 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Couldn't/didn't count all my Caribbean cruises, would have put me 30+.
Same here but "definition of a "visit" is spending at least 48 consecutive hours there"

Also excludes some for me, and frankly I think it's a good definition as taking a cruise excursion might be fun, but hardly long enough to experience the real culture etc..
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #58

1 at the moment. I went to Canada a few times, but never for more than a night when I lived in upstate NY. Did a week in D.R. a couple years ago. I've kinda gotten the bug to travel since then. I'm going to Aruba later this year and have a goal to visit at least 1 new country each year on vacation going forward. I suspect that quite a few years it will be more than one, especially after I retire. Being that I'm 40 y.o. now and plan to retire in the next 7 years, I expect the number will increase dramatically by the time I reach "normal" retirement age.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:03 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I counted 29 when I clicked on the poll, then remembered two more for a total of 31. By the end of June I'll be able to add four more.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:02 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
136 according to Most Traveled People but I at the stage of slowing down and going back to places I like.

https://mosttraveledpeople.com/index.php

My friend has an aunt in southwestern France and has spent a day or two in Andorra. Probably one of the few. When I worked in Metz, I spent many days in Luxembourg, one of those rare gems. We went back last year and DW said why. After we visited, she understood.