Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Besides the air travel issues, I hate packing and making all the arrangements for the pets, stopping the mail, the paper, etc. Unpacking is not as bad.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep. The patdowns are considerably less public.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This unfortunate early retiree ran into a serious problem while travelling. She literally lost her head!

Beheading victim had sought help - The Irish Times - Sun, May 15, 2011
Old 05-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Me too ! I wish there was some way they could zap me to my destination without the hassles .
That´s me too
Old 05-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #25

I have more issues with time change than the effort of flying.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
Besides the air travel issues, I hate packing and making all the arrangements for the pets, stopping the mail, the paper, etc. Unpacking is not as bad.
+1

Not to mention, my anal DW who always has to unpack before going to bed even when we get home from the airport around midnight.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #27

We hate the airlines for the most part. It's a necessary evil, I suppose, but they could be more customer friendly and transparent. Redeyes are pretty bad too, especially when the actual flight is only 4 hours and you lose another hour with take off and landing activity.

We also hate the crowds. When I worked, family vacations were always in the summer. Just takes some of the pleasure out of or trip waiting in lines, fighting crowds and all the hustle and bustle. Now, we can travel off-season and avoid that for the most part.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Heathrow.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

and of course there is the head cold you get from being in a crowded plane for seven hours with people coughing on you .
Old 05-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I don't like the part where it's three days before your trip, and you feel a tickle in your throat, and think "Uh-oh."

I have a theory that people who like traveling have amnesia for the actual long, boring parts (long driving or long flights). These people are descended from nomadic tribes, who, without this special amnesia, would have given up their migrations.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #31
Administrator

So, you all are saying that you love traveling except for the TRAVELING part, when you are actually on the plane and moving from point A to point B?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I don't like the part where it's three days before your trip, and you feel a tickle in your throat, and think "Uh-oh."

I have a theory that people who like traveling have amnesia for the actual long, boring parts (long driving or long flights). These people are descended from nomadic tribes, who, without this special amnesia, would have given up their migrations.

My theory is that some people who like traveling really don't - - they would really just like to live someplace different and are putting up with the traveling part in order to "try it out" on a temporary basis.

I do like traveling by car, but mainly if it is spontaneous and with no itinerary. If we decide what to do from moment to moment, then we aren't boxed in so much. We usually end up coming home much earlier than anticipated.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

I would willing submit myself to an injection at home before a trip if it meant I could arrive in my hotel on the other side with no recollection of the trip. You know what I mean: taxi, check-in, aiport security, screaming uncontrolled kids, overpriced airport food, bad service on the plane, immigration on the other side, waiting for bags on the other side, being harassed by taxi drivers on the other side.

I need to go and have a little lie-down now as I feel my blood pressure rising meaningfully...
Old 05-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #33

I agree with others in that the logistics are the problem. Almost all my travel is Chicago-Phoenix or vice -versa. 60-70 times in the last 9 years. Typical trip to Phoenix involves:

Drive to work
Coworker drives me to train station
Take train to Chicago
Take another train to airport
Take plane to Phoenix
Take shuttle van to condo

What a nightmare - sometimes a 4 hour flight with all the transfers adds up to a 12 hour ordeal.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

My theory is that some people who like traveling really don't - - they would really just like to live someplace different and are putting up with the traveling part in order to "try it out" on a temporary basis.

I have to disagree . I think most people who like travelling love seeing the places once they are there or travel to visit their children or grandchildren. I've travelled to a lot of places that I would never want to live but enjoyed seeing . We love the adventure part but dislike the getting there . So here I am complaining about the travelling as I look into the next trip !
Old 05-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamtin34 View Post
overpriced airport food,...

I actually think airport food is getting better not cheaper but better .
Old 05-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have to disagree . I think most people who like travelling love seeing the places once they are there or travel to visit their children or grandchildren. I've travelled to a lot of places that I would never want to live but enjoyed seeing . We love the adventure part but dislike the getting there . So here I am complaining about the travelling as I look into the next trip !
I don't see any disagreement at all between the part of my post that you quoted, and your generalization above.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #37

I love to fly, but hate the hassle at airports! I haven't flown in about 8 years, and have no intentions to do so in the foreseeable future.

We've done a LOT of group travel via motor coach, and overall it was enjoyable....except almost without fail, there was always one person in the group that was either: a) annoying b) hopelessly helpless c) always late d) hacking and coughing continuously and NOT covering their mouth e) ALL of the above! Had it not been for those FEW people, all of our trips would have been great! Now that I'm retired, and have no time constraints, we've pretty much given up all group travel.

I much prefer to drive to our destinations, and enjoy the scenery and sights along the way!!! I try to avoid rush hour traffic around major cities, but driving in traffic and through metropolitan areas doesn't bother me at all. If we see something along the way that pics our interest, we can stop and check it out....then continue on at our leisure.

We just go with the flow!!!
Old 05-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I hate to admit it, but after 9/11, I developed a fear of flying. Not overwhelming, I can and have flown since. But, I'm no longer the fearless traveler I once was. I practically grew up on an airplane since my father's job required frequent overseas moves for my family. Then, as an adult, I had a job that required travel on a regular basis.

That day still haunts me. I could see the Pentagon from my office on that tragic day and live in the high risk DC area. Yes, I know statistically speaking the risk is low, and my fear is quite irrational….but still.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #39

The little kid sitting behind you that starts to kick the seat before the doors are closed and you're on a 14 hour flight to the other side of the world.

I immediately tell the kid to stop. If that fails (which it usually does, since the parents have spoiled the kid rotten), I tell the mother to stop it or 'else' ... with a smile... That usually gets the kid a seat change.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:24 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I hate to admit it, but after 9/11, I developed a fear of flying. Not overwhelming, I can and have flown since. But, I'm no longer the fearless traveler I once was. .
I was never a fearless traveler but 9/11 almost stopped me in my tracts except the will to visit my children was stronger so I put my affairs in order and flew.