Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
I dislike checking flight prices, agreeing with the people who will be paying for it that I can take the $1400 flight because it's direct as opposed to the $1000 flight with a layover, then by the time that OK comes back (just 48 hours), the $1400 flight is now $1950. This just happened to me in the last hour.
Make sure you clear your cookies or try a different browser. Sometimes it works. I read this somewhere. The airlines pull dirty tricks when it comes to pricing.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got the travel bug out of my system last year with 3 trips to FL.
I flew out of a low congestion airspace (SYR) into a high congestion airspace (MCO). I had wonderful flights, choosing to depart at 230 PM instead of using the usual business traveler departure time slots.
The 2nd and 3rd trips were direct flights both ways. I was happy to pay the extra to avoid a layover at JFK (a mistake I made on trip #1).
Now that I have been completely spoiled by JetBlue, I truly doubt if I could ever subject myself to the other carriers I had to use when I w*rked for the fed. Oh the stories I could tell...
This year I am curtailing my airborne vacations so I can finish the multi-year windows replacement project on my house. Next year...we shall see.

As far as safety goes, I feel safer in the air than I do on the road with people yakking on their cell phones and texting.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I love to fly, but hate the hassle at airports! I haven't flown in about 8 years, and have no intentions to do so in the foreseeable future.

We've done a LOT of group travel via motor coach, and overall it was enjoyable....except almost without fail, there was always one person in the group that was either: a) annoying b) hopelessly helpless c) always late d) hacking and coughing continuously and NOT covering their mouth e) ALL of the above! Had it not been for those FEW people, all of our trips would have been great! Now that I'm retired, and have no time constraints, we've pretty much given up all group travel.

I much prefer to drive to our destinations, and enjoy the scenery and sights along the way!!! I try to avoid rush hour traffic around major cities, but driving in traffic and through metropolitan areas doesn't bother me at all. If we see something along the way that pics our interest, we can stop and check it out....then continue on at our leisure.

We just go with the flow!!!

I totally agree with you ......we have not flown in 8yrs. We just drive and see the sights on the way to our destination - and we don't have to worry about the hassles of air travel. It saves us $$ ,too.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't mind the flight as I can catch up with movies if I can't sleep but I do mind crying children (sorry, mothers) as that definitely means no sleep at all even with ear plugs and definite jet lag. I also don't entirely enjoy part of the planning - the part on agreeing on the dates and destination. I wonder whether anyone else have this apprehension - when one is travelling with new companions, there's a bit of worry of whether we can get to each other's nerves when we have to be together for so many days.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
I don't mind the flight
Nobody minds the flight. It's the 3 or 4 hours of wasted time getting to and into the airport that is the issue. The TSA's groping is a problem for some as well (for me it's a thrill, I haven't been groped for 40 years). I used to have to go to a city about 300 miles away. So, door to door is 300 miles (4.5 hours drive). From door to door, it was faster to drive. Leave home 2.5 hours before flight (airline recommends getting to airport 2 hours before). One hour flight. 30 minutes to get bags. 30 minutes to rent car. 45 minutes to drive from airport to destination.

In my mega-corp days, the company plane often flew from my base to our US operation. That flight was:
  • cab to airport - 10 minutes
  • wait to board - 5 minutes
  • fly to USA - 100 minutes
  • customs, immigration etc - 5 minutes
  • drive to office - 10 minutes
  • Office
  • Drive to airport - 10 minutes
  • fly home - 120 minutes
  • cab home - 10 minutes
Leave home a 6:40, in US office at 9:30, leave US office at ~4:30, home by 7:00. If flying commercial, add 1 day.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:37 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Here is a devil's advocate point of view.

We are complaining about hassles, but consider that you are sitting in a chair and are magically transported through the sky to a faraway location. How would cavemen view our bitching?
Old 05-16-2011, 12:34 AM   #47

To revert to the thread title, I do like to travel. I hated the problems when traveling for work since no matter who made the arrangements, any problems were my fault (my PHB once gave me a hard time for missing a meeting because I was traveling hitching a ride on the mega-corp corporate plane which broke its schedule so CEO could play golf).

DW does not travel well. Any little thing and she's gonzo. She doesn't adapt to local culture very well either. My best vacation would be we leave on different flights and meet at our destination, and no culture shock please.

A good friend of DS got married in India a year ago. He asked us if we wanted an invitation, meaning he'd like us to come but would we/could we. DS wanted us to go. DW asked me if I wanted to go. My response was "Yes, but not with you". She laughed, at least she knows her limitations.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:16 PM   #48

Understand where the negative feelings come from with regards to the travel process. However, I find you can buy your way out of it by doing premium travel.

Our next trip is to Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific in First Class. When we get to the airport I expect there will be no-one in queue when we check in. Often for FC or even Business there is a line for premium travellers to get thru the TSA checks. I go thru the nude-o-scopes, don't bother me in the least. From there we will head to the First Class lounge where we will relax until our flight boards from it's own entry point. We will then plonk our butts down in 1A and 1K in our spacious seating with plenty of space for carry on. No-one is going to be hitting us in the head with their 14 bags of carry on as they make their way to the back of the plane. We will then be handed a refreshing glass of Krug, the first of many we will enjoy on the 14 hour flight. When we have eaten all we could possibly want, when we are ready for a nap they will make our bed for us.

I know most people will say they can't afford to buy premium tix but the cost for the two of us to do this flight was 150,000 British Airways points + $250. We play the credit card churning game and in the past year have received more than 700k frequent flyer/hotel rewards point which allow us to travel like this on a regular basis.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Understand where the negative feelings come from with regards to the travel process. However, I find you can buy your way out of it by doing premium travel.
We can afford to travel in business or first class, but I can't bring myself to pay the premiums. Paying the extra $5K for business class or $10K for first class for 2 people on a transatlantic flight seems rather steep to alleviate a few hours of suffering. I would rather spend the money on something else. Of course, if I don't have to pay for it, I will gladly take the upgrade.

But those paying for premium travel allow us to travel cheaply in steerage, so it works for everyone.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #50

Probably a good chunk of people riding up the front are probably like myself, there on points.

As I said, next trip I'm riding up front and I'm sure that is costing me less than those travelling steerage.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #51

Oh, yeah, the closing up of the house, boarding of the dog with a friend and the getting there is a pain. I usually travel coach, too, unless I can wrangle first class using dividend miles. I hope to travel off-season more in retirement. I don't travel at all for w*rk and I mainly go to my place in FL or visit friends or relatives in appealing locales by way of vacation these days.
And what the heck, when I am retired and take some really nice vacation once a year, I can break down and spring for first class plane tickets. It won't put me in the poor house and making life easier is a good use of money.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I hate dirty bathrooms and uncomfortable beds. I also don't trust hotel room floors and always wear flipflops (I really hate flipflops, but not as much as dirty floors).
Old 05-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
. However, I find you can buy your way out of it by doing premium travel.

Our next trip is to Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific in First Class. When we get to the airport I expect there will be no-one in queue when we check in. Often for FC or even Business there is a line for premium travellers to get thru the TSA checks. I go thru the nude-o-scopes, don't bother me in the least. From there we will head to the First Class lounge where we will relax until our flight boards from it's own entry point. We will then plonk our butts down in 1A and 1K in our spacious seating with plenty of space for carry on. No-one is going to be hitting us in the head with their 14 bags of carry on as they make their way to the back of the plane. We will then be handed a refreshing glass of Krug, the first of many we will enjoy on the 14 hour flight. When we have eaten all we could possibly want, when we are ready for a nap they will make our bed for us.

This is definitely the way to travel . Now, if they could promise no turbulence in first class I would gladly pay the premium .
Old 05-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro View Post
I hate dirty bathrooms and uncomfortable beds. I also don't trust hotel room floors and always wear flipflops (I really hate flipflops, but not as much as dirty floors).
Approx 10 years ago, I bought a pair of Okabashi slide ons at a drug store for $9. They are made of a very dense cushiony plastic material. Best of all, they have arch support.
I liked them so much I went back the next day and grabbed a 2nd pair. Talk about comfortable and such a low price. MADE IN USA too.

This an updated version of the 2 pairs I still own. I never thought they would last this long.
Messina
There are styles for men too.

They take up very little room in the outer pocket of a suitcase. I've taken them on every trip I've made, business or leisure. They are perfect for the shower, pool, walking on the beach, or just hanging out.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:38 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Turbulence is the best part.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Here is a devil's advocate point of view.

We are complaining about hassles, but consider that you are sitting in a chair and are magically transported through the sky to a faraway location. How would cavemen view our bitching?
Maybe the same way I do (about many things, not just travel) - How is it they do these amazing, miraculous things, make them happen routinely and safely at a price people can afford, yet they screw up the 1% part that doesn't seem that hard, and that 1% sucks most of the joy out of the 99% miracle?

Quote:
Probably a good chunk of people riding up the front are probably like myself, there on points.

As I said, next trip I'm riding up front and I'm sure that is costing me less than those travelling steerage.
How can this be? Those points must be costing you something?

-ERD50
Old 05-16-2011, 11:26 PM   #57

Am I the only one who enjoys people watching at airports? Just flew from Newark - New Orleans (RT) with a 43 min layover in Houston en route to NOLA. Had a great time...people are interesting...headed out to CA in a few weeks...then to San Antonio in Aug (ugh!)...actually looking forward to both trips! Do random people annoy me during the process - of course, but I still enjoy travelling more than not!
Old 05-17-2011, 12:21 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been traveling steady since March 2010 ... I love it...the trip to our destinations as well as the destinations...

My class A never leaves the ground though....might be the main reason
Old 05-17-2011, 02:55 AM   #59

I agree that all of the many hassles mentioned can be a pain in the butt. However, in our case travel is one of our primary retirement activities and we still enjoy it a lot. Probably fly about 20 times a year with 2-3 of these very long haul to Europe or Asia. We are lucky that we can afford to buy our way out of many of these issues with first class airline seats and five star hotels. Would never consider a flight longer than 4hours in economy.
Leaving for 2weeks in Tuscany later today. Meeting some friends on a bike trip. Looking forward to it despite all the hassles we will experience.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:36 AM   #60

Un-consoled babies riding either in business class or seated right behind business class in economy are probably my biggest peeve. Seems like there is at least one on very flight. On my last trip from Manila to Tokyo, there was a kid who cried the entire flight, and it escalated to the point that I was thinking to myself that ifthe mama didn't get the crying under control that the kid was gonna launch his lunch. Not 3 minutes later, it happened. So now there is more crying, and that awful smell. The mama did nothing...

R