Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-17-2011, 05:42 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday I was on a 4 1/2 hour flight two rows behind a two year old and a baby. They were so good I didn't realize there were kids there. These parents really had their act together.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2011, 08:04 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Yesterday I was on a 4 1/2 hour flight two rows behind a two year old and a baby. They were so good I didn't realize there were kids there. These parents really had their act together.
Benadryl

Old 05-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Speaking of being a crybaby, I also hate flying in economy when it seems I always have the person in front of me who reclines their seat all the way back. Space is so limited in coach that I never recline my seat out of consideration for the person seated behind me.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Flew from Jo'Burg to NYC last year, about 17-18 hours including a 1 hour layover in Senegal where you can't leave the plane.........family about 4 rows up had 3 kids, (6-8ish); the kids got up and walked around a bit, (who can blame them), but overall they were pretty good and kept themselves amused...we were impressed.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #65

Didn't read the whole thread, but for me one of the big stressors is DW at times. She's a "planner," while I'm a "go with it" type of guy. I take my time, and if I miss something, so be it.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Train vs. Plane
Old 05-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Train vs. Plane

I'm old enough to remember when you were treated like royalty when you flew. Why did that change?

I took the train cross-Canada a couple of years ago and I'm a convert. With no time constraints, the trip was glorious. I was treated like a queen, the food was fantastic, the scenery beyond description. And I could escape if something or someone got annoying. It was a bit costly, but I notice that they often have last-minute deals that make the trip cheaper than flying.

It doesn's help much for over-water trips, but my first post-retirement trip will be Amtrak's North America Rail Pass.

Nui
Old 05-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

How can this be? Those points must be costing you something?

-ERD50
All these points cost me is the time in signing up for a credit card and making everyday normal expenditure that I would make anyway.

There have been some mega deals out there lately. British Airways visa 100k miles for sign up and spending $3k in 3 mos. That converts to a round trip in business class to Hong Kong on Cathay. Capital Venture card where they matched your FF miles, for $1k spend DH and I managed to get enough points to redeem for $3800 of Gift Certificates for Hyatt hotels.

There are plenty of opportunities out there to get something for virtually nothing.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
All these points cost me is the time in signing up for a credit card and making everyday normal expenditure that I would make anyway.
OK, so they are costing you something. I currently get 2% (in cash, to be spent or saved any way I wish, no strings), on every single dollar of the everyday normal expenditure that I would make anyway. So that would be my basis for comparison.

Quote:
There have been some mega deals out there lately. British Airways visa 100k miles for sign up and spending $3k in 3 mos. That converts to a round trip in business class to Hong Kong on Cathay. Capital Venture card where they matched your FF miles, for $1k spend DH and I managed to get enough points to redeem for $3800 of Gift Certificates for Hyatt hotels.

There are plenty of opportunities out there to get something for virtually nothing.
If this is working for you, great. But it's hard for me to see how they can give $3.80 in rewards for $1.00 spent. I don't have much/any experience with this as I don't travel much, but when I see cards offered like that, I seem to see annual fees and lots of fine print.

On one hand, it could be tied to 'loyalty' type incentives. But, OTOH, we see businesses give special deals to attract new customers (and ignore the old - a negative loyalty incentive), so I'm not sure that explains it either.

edit/add: I guess this reminds me of the coupon clipper thread from several months back. You get $3,800 'worth' of Gift Certificates - but would you have actually spent the $3,800 otherwise? Maybe so in this case, but I'm skeptical of how this could be over the long haul.

-ERD50
Old 05-17-2011, 11:10 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow

Have any of you stood below Michalengelos Masterpiece in the Sistene chapel and been totally breathless?
Have you dived the Great barrier reef and seen unimaginable fish?
Have you seen the whales during mating season in Maui, breaching and providing scenes worthy of a National Geographic Special?
Have you climbed the Great Wall of China and thought what history and culture came before you?
Have you seen the wonders of Yellowstone, Yosemite, Mesa Verde, Petrified Forest, the Everglades etc?

I have and every second of delay, inconvenience, discomfort was worth it.

But maybe it is better sit at home and to say "get off of my lawn" then to experience life.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:42 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52andout View Post
Wow

Have any of you stood below Michalengelos Masterpiece in the Sistene chapel and been totally breathless?
Have you seen the whales during mating season in Maui, breaching and providing scenes worthy of a National Geographic Special?
Have you climbed the Great Wall of China and thought what history and culture came before you?
Have you seen the wonders of Yellowstone, Yosemite, Mesa Verde, Petrified Forest, the Everglades etc?

But maybe it is better sit at home and to say "get off of my lawn" then to experience life.
It doesn't appear that you actually read the OP, or the title of this thread.

-ERD50
Old 05-18-2011, 07:53 AM   #71
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Heathrow.
Yeah, been there - done that (many times )...
Old 05-18-2011, 08:00 AM   #72
gone traveling

Quote:
Wow

Actually, DW/me have done the items on your list (except China, which is on our "to do" list), but I still hate travel and after many, many years of both business and personal travel have decided to scale back for awhile.

I'm speaking only for myself (DW was in Cairo/Nile cruise last Sept, touring the South for the "early blooms" within the last six weeks, and is heading off for two weeks in Switzerland in September - all with her "travel buddy" - another woman that shares her "passion").

I've personally done the travel (about to renew my passport - I already have gone through two). Today? I rather just stay home with the puppies and tell the kids to stay off the lawn (gives me target practice )...
Old 05-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wow

Yes and I love the being there I just dislike the getting there !
Old 05-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
OK, so they are costing you something. I currently get 2% (in cash, to be spent or saved any way I wish, no strings), on every single dollar of the everyday normal expenditure that I would make anyway. So that would be my basis for comparison.

If this is working for you, great. But it's hard for me to see how they can give $3.80 in rewards for $1.00 spent. I don't have much/any experience with this as I don't travel much, but when I see cards offered like that, I seem to see annual fees and lots of fine print.

On one hand, it could be tied to 'loyalty' type incentives. But, OTOH, we see businesses give special deals to attract new customers (and ignore the old - a negative loyalty incentive), so I'm not sure that explains it either.

edit/add: I guess this reminds me of the coupon clipper thread from several months back. You get $3,800 'worth' of Gift Certificates - but would you have actually spent the $3,800 otherwise? Maybe so in this case, but I'm skeptical of how this could be over the long haul.

-ERD50
Ok let's compare the Capital One Venture Card that recently offered the 100k sign up bonus.

My husband and I both signed up for this card and after a spend of approx. $3000 we received Gift Certificates to Hyatt for $3800. The annual fee was waived for the first year.

So for that $3000 you would received $60 cash back from your credit card.

As to whether I would have spent that $3,000 anyway. You bet I would. We put everything on credit card, use very little cash. If I buy something for $3 from the drugstore it goes on a credit card. So we don't need to do random spending to achieve the required spend.

What's in it for the credit card companies? Well they are hoping to attract customers with good credit ratings as long term customers. They hope by getting you to sign up you will like their program enough that you will stay once year 2 hits and you do get charged a fee. Personally we will be cancelling the card in month 11 because they have changed redemption rates for rewards and I can get better value out of other cards I hold.

Take yourself over to Flyertalk and have a look at the Miles Buzz forum. There is a whole different world out there with some folks who are very hard core and make out like bandits on credit card promotions.

You have to know how to use your cards to get what you want. Upgraded travel is our goal and we can usually leverage $40k of spending on the AMEX gold into a round trip in business class to Europe, Asia or South America on an annual basis without much effort.

It comes down to what is important to an individual.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:59 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ok let's compare the Capital One Venture Card that recently offered the 100k sign up bonus.

My husband and I both signed up for this card and after a spend of approx. $3000 we received Gift Certificates to Hyatt for $3800. The annual fee was waived for the first year.

So for that $3000 you would received $60 cash back from your credit card.
Right, I would only get $60. But, I get it for every $3,000 I spend, not just the first - this is what I'm getting at. Over the long haul, are these deals really so hot (maybe so, but it doesn't add up for me)?

Quote:
As to whether I would have spent that $3,000 anyway. You bet I would. We put everything on credit card, use very little cash...

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I was not referring to the $3,000 spent on the card, I was referring to the $3,800 in gift certificates you received. Would you have really purchased all $3,800 of the things those gift certificates offered? That's where I relate it to the coupon thread - people say they 'saved' $X, but it was stuff that I would not have bought, or good alternatives could have been bought for far less. To me, that isn't a true savings.

Quote:
What's in it for the credit card companies? Well they are hoping to attract customers with good credit ratings as long term customers.
I understand, and that is also why they offer 2% cash-back rewards. I'm just having trouble understanding how one set of rewards they offer could really be worth that much more than another set. Or is it?

Quote:
You have to know how to use your cards to get what you want. Upgraded travel is our goal and we can usually leverage $40k of spending on the AMEX gold into a round trip in business class to Europe, Asia or South America on an annual basis without much effort.
I don't know what an upgrade like that costs. I'll assume much more than the $800 a 2% card would give, after annual fees, etc. Maybe they offer it at near 'wholesale' or whatever, or the combo with 'loyalty' makes these a great deal for frequent travelers - I don't know. But if all your card spending counts towards products you really would use, that's great. And maybe it averages out for the CC companies with many people who sign up, and then never really take full advantage of the deals.

Quote:
It comes down to what is important to an individual.
It comes down to whatever really works for an individual. If the true value of the travel rewards you get is above the 2% no-strings cash, then it works for you.

-ERD50
Old 05-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #76

Quote:
We put everything on credit card, use very little cash. If I buy something for $3 from the drugstore it goes on a credit card.
Awright!! We generally 'set' the lower limit at about $9.......I can see we need to [s]raise[/s] lower our sights.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Awright!! We generally 'set' the lower limit at about $9.......I can see we need to [s]raise[/s] lower our sights.
I no longer have a lower limit. When I've done that in the past, I end up with a pocket full of change I never use. I have not seen a merchant sign that set a limit in a very long time, so I just go with it.

-ERD50
Old 05-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #78

OK So I agree with all the bad things listed previously. But we just arrived in Florence today , The weather is beautiful are we are staying at an unbelievable place called Villa San Michelle just outside of Florence. Now I remember why we travel so much. Just beautiful. Worth all the hassles.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
The amount of CO2 added to the atmosphere ands seas (while it is still capable of absorbing co2).
I only address this issue because I recently did a "thought experiment" on the subject of "fuel mileage" for air travel (yeah, I know, I need to get a life!!.)

Start w/assumption that you plan to travel either by car or air (not going isn't an option in my thought experiment - keep in mind that the plane is going whether you fly or not). I'm sure there are significant variations, depending upon equipment, but my thought experiment went like this: A 747 burns about 8 gal/mile on average. It easily transports 400 people. So, for 1 gal of fuel, it will transport 50 people 1 mile (or one person 50 miles/gal). Assume a typical car trip takes two passengers, so the 747 would deliver about 25 mpg for the equivalent number of people. I'm sure you could change the scenario around to show that air travel is not always as fuel efficient, but, as a first approximation, it's not a lot different in many typical situations.

I now return you to the subject of our symposium.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Here is a devil's advocate point of view.

We are complaining about hassles, but consider that you are sitting in a chair and are magically transported through the sky to a faraway location. How would cavemen view our bitching?
I suspect many of you have seen this already, but perhaps it's on target here. Pretty funny in any case.