Join Early Retirement Today

I love to travel but ?
Old 05-14-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

I love to travel but ?

Since so many of our members travel I thought I would start a thread on some of the pitfalls of traveling . I'll start . I love to travel but I hate the getting there . The early trip to the airport ,the flights , dragging my luggage around and being squashed in a seat because I am too thrifty to go first class . How about you what part of traveling do you not like or could do without ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I dislike checking flight prices, agreeing with the people who will be paying for it that I can take the $1400 flight because it's direct as opposed to the $1000 flight with a layover, then by the time that OK comes back (just 48 hours), the $1400 flight is now $1950. This just happened to me in the last hour.

A few years ago, I would have said "US Immigration for non-citizens", which, when the INS ran it, was like where they placed the only Americans who don't want to welcome nice European tourists who are going to drop $$$ at Disney - surliness personified to a man or woman. But since the Customs and Border Protection took over, things are way better, even though we now have to go through the camera and fingerprint rigmarole. The staff are well-trained, polite, and even friendly. I hadn't been back to the US for several years afetr 9/11 and I was expecting a nightmare at the airport, so this was a revelation for me.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Mostly it's the flying, but there's also finding out that the hotel you booked is also being used by 3 kids soccer teams, or there's a bachelors party across the hall.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #4

Everything you said, Moemg. While going throught the airport, I just tune in to my autopilot until I get to my destination. I really dislike traveling but I love being in new places. It's a real conflict.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I hate the leaving and returning. The being there is always good.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Turbulence.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
I hate the leaving and returning. The being there is always good.

Me too ! I wish there was some way they could zap me to my destination without the hassles .
Old 05-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Turbulence.

and why is there always turbulence over Dallas ? Is that part of Rewahoo's evil plot ?
Old 05-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #9

Seated next to someone with BO.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
and why is there always turbulence over Dallas ? Is that part of Rewahoo's evil plot ?
Of course not!

It's actually a state budget shortfall - no skypotholes are being filled until the economy improves...
Old 05-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #11

I hate the TSA invading my privacy with groping or cancer inducing scans.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #12

I hate paying airport prices for food and drink.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

How about landing at one part of the Airport and finding you connection is at the complete opposite end and you only have 30 minutes ?
Old 05-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #14

Flying is such a hassle now. To reduce the hassle somewhat, DW and I fly to our destination the night before. Things are a little less hectic early evening, and whatever the stress we're just going to sleep when we land.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #15

Quote:
How about landing at one part of the Airport and finding you connection is at the complete opposite end and you only have 30 minutes ?
It happened to us once at a connecting flight at Phoenix with less than an hour connection time. It is suppose to be a legal connection except: Flew into one terminal and the connecting flight is at another terminal. I am not familiar with the airport. To get to the other terminal, we have to take a slow shuttle bus (after waiting 10 minutes for the bus) that made many stops (other terminals and parking lots). Then since it is a different terminal, you have to go through the security. The line is long, I am pretty sure that we are not going to catch the flight and the next flight is on the following day. I was going to give up but DW persisted. We cut in line (with TSA permission and other travellers' permission).

The people at the counter called the gate that we were coming. We made the flight. We were the last one to board. I knew my BP shoot up. We vowed that we will never take connecting flights anymore.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:24 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I love to travel but I hate the getting there.
Same here. Hate it, hate it, hate it. From the time I pack my suitcase to the time I unpack it, it's agony.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:19 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I enjoy traveling... but I hate to travel! Mostly I dislike dealing with the Aeropuerto... it is stressful.

I have also found foreign train stations and subways to be a bit confusing (until we get our bearings).

But most of my leisure travel stress has been related to squeezing a vacation into a week or two. I always seem to have had a heightened sense of urgency about getting there on time and meeting a tight schedule.... one delay or problem could ruin an expensive vacation.

When I FIRE, we will travel and I am sure there will still be some stress, but since we will not be artificially constrained... and more flexible, I hope to relax, consider it to be part of the adventure, and roll with it.

Since I do most of the planning and arranging, DW does not have to deal with that part so it does not bother her as much. Her problem is that she gets a little anxious flying... but she handles it fine.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:18 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Funny how all of this angst and aggro is focused on the air travel part of it. As a reluctant business traveler, I agree with all of the issues with the added fun of having to work when I get there.

These are also some of the reasons that much of my personal travel is via RV.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:25 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
These are also some of the reasons that much of my personal travel is via RV.
Yep. The patdowns are considerably less public.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:12 AM   #20

The amount of CO2 added to the atmosphere ands seas (while it is still capable of absorbing co2).