Join Early Retirement Today

I Won A Trip (Rhone-Alpes France)
Old 07-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I Won A Trip (Rhone-Alpes France)

While surfing the net looking for info on France for an already planned trip in May 2011 I stubbled upon the website for the officlal French tourist agency. It was a great site for info on France and they were advertising a sweepstakes giveaway of a trip to the Rhone-Alpes area of France. You had to answer a few wine related questions (which I am sure I aced since I have been acquiring knowledge on that subject one bottle at a time for years) and then reqister for the sweepstakes. I won!!!

The trip consists of round trip air, three nights accomadations, wine tastings, breakfast and dinner for the three days, a car and driver, and a rail pass.

We feel like we will extend the trip by a few days. To travel to France from Texas is just too far to go for only three days.I have now been reading about that area of France. Has anyone on the board been to this area and what can you tell me? I have until April 1, 2011 to take the trip. The way I read the info we can fly into and out of any city in France. Since we will be in Paris on the previously planned trips we would like to stay in the Rhone-Alps area or surrounding areas and away from Paris. Our planned trip to Paris would have been our first trip to France.

I remember the past thread about what you have won and I posted that I won a $250 gift certificate to a restaurant last year. Until this that was my biggest win.

I need suggestions, comments, and advice.
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We feel like we will extend the trip by a few days.
Can you extend it more than that? After five days you'll probably still be getting over jet lag. You'll want a real strategy for dealing with that so you can enjoy yourself. DW used to think melatonin was the key, but later abandoned that for Lunesta.

On one trip to Sweden I adjusted my bedtime earlier and earlier in the weeks before the trip, so that I was going to bed at 7:30 just before leaving. However, because we were visiting family over there, we couldn't stay up too late. But if you can go to sleep at 7:30 here and and 2:30 AM there, it might work for you.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I lived in Rhone-Alpes for 23 years and still go back once or twice a year, so pm me if you have any question.

My suggestions:

Lyon: Great city, the gastronomic capital of France, just south of the Beaujolais region. Go visit the "Vieux Lyon" (medieval city), the Roman amphitheater near the Fourviere Basilica, "la croix rousse" (which was once the silk capital of Europe - you can still visit old mills), the "parc de la tete d'or", etc...

Annecy: visit the old town and take a cruise on Europe's cleanest lake. Beautiful vistas of the surrounding mountain ranges, and castles to visit. Sunbathe on the beaches.

Chamonix: For a great taste of the Alps. At the foot of "Mont-Blanc", the highest mountain in Europe. Take a cable car to the top of "Aiguille du midi" (altitude 12,500 ft) for an up-close look at Mont-Blanc and (weather permitting) a stunning view of the valley below. Go visit the "mer de glace" glacier (you can hike it or take the train).

The Drome and Ardeche departments: for a taste of Provence (especially in the southern parts). Lavender fields, villages with a provencal flair, warm and dry weather. Taste the local lavender honey and the "nougat" of Montelimar.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

My husband and I have flown into Italy twice in the last few years. I did suffer from jet lag on both occassions, but by the next day I was fine. So on this trip I would like to get to the area at least the day before the planned tour begins.

We can then do a little sightseeing on our own pace and get to bed early. I will be ready to go the next day. The three days of the official "won" trip looks as though it will be heavy vinyards and wine tasting in three different areas. Gosh, wine tasting in France, I can't wait!

Thanks Firedreamer for the suggestions. You make it sound wonderful and my excitement is growing on seeing this area. I know I will have many more questions for you as we get closer to this one!

We are waiting for the official information packet that will detail the places we will visit and where we will be staying. All I know at present is that our lodging will be at or near the vinyards that we will be visiting.

We will probably stay about a week or a little more on this trip. As we learn more about this area, we might extend it more.

We have two visits to Paris planned during the next 12 months so this will make our third trip to France. The other trips are before or after cruises.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Congratulations ! What a great win !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Wow! That is awesome--so jealous (not to mention the trip you're already doing in May 2011)!

When do you think you will go on this new jaunt?
Old 07-23-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

We've spent, cumulatively, 2+ months in that area, particularly in the Drome around Nyons and the great wine villages of Gigondas, Vacqueyras and Beaumes-de-Venise. It is magical country with the best hiking trails we have ever seen (and we are Coloradans!), phenomenal wine and food. We know the vineyards and food scene there well; you can PM me for more info. As you may know, famed cookbook author Patricia Wells lives in this area (just outside of Vaison la Romaine), and she clearly had her choice of anywhere in France for home base. Nyons olives, hiking les Dentelles, heady wines, roast farm chicken with rosemary and garlic, Montelimar nougat, the smell of Scotch broom and heirloom roses....I am jealous. Have a great time!
kevink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

congratulations on winning such a great trip. Not to put a damper on anything but you do realize that you will have to pay tax on the value of the trip. I won a one night, two day trip to new york last year to see a movie premiere and had to pay taxes on it as well. Have a good time.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Lyon: Great city, the gastronomic capital of France, just south of the Beaujolais region. Go visit the "Vieux Lyon" (medieval city), the Roman amphitheater near the Fourviere Basilica, "la croix rousse" (which was once the silk capital of Europe - you can still visit old mills), the "parc de la tete d'or", etc...
Agree competely!

I spent a lot of time in Lyon since I worked for a U.S. holding of Renault.

It's where I got to appreciate good food, good wine, and good people (hey, French folks are great - as long as you have the time to get to know them, and they, you).

The only Frenchman I ever had problems with was my boss (chef) - but that could be the case in any country ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ah, Lyon brings back memories...

Got a ride from Paris to Lyon hitchhiking during part of Spring break. Then we tried for hours to get a ride but no one would pick us up.

Headed over to the nearby airport, hung around the private hangers. By this time of the school year, my French was pretty good. Wandered over to anyone approaching a plane to chat and to find out where they were headed and if they might have room for a couple of students.

Long story short - we hitched a ride in a Cessna Cardinal to Geneva which was approximately where we needed to end up to get back to classes.

spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, you may have won a trip to France, but my honey just won 22 Million American dollars! Don't know how they knew we had been passing through hard ways by passing through difficulties with various miscreants, but what the heck - we'll take the money anyway.

Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 18:31:49 +0000
Subject: REF:- INSTRUCTION TO CREDIT YOUR ACCOUNT WITH THE SUM OF (US$22Million)
To:

FROM THE MANAGEMENT
OF NATWEST BANK
WESTMINSTER
57 VICTORIA STREET
GB - LONDON SW1H 0HP

REF:- INSTRUCTION TO CREDIT YOUR ACCOUNT WITH THE SUM OF (US$22Million)

This is to notify you about this said fund.

After due vett and evaluation of your file that was sent to us by the Nigeria Government in conjunction with the Ministry of Finance and Central Bank of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

This bank has an instruction to see to the immediate release of the sum of TWENTY-TWO MILLION UNITED STATE DOLLARS (US$22Million) of your claim that has been holding since is transferred into your bank Account from their Domiciliary Account with this Bank.

We were meant to understand from our findings that you have been going through hard ways by passing through difficulties to see to the release of your fund TWENTY-TWO MILLION UNITED STATE DOLLARS (US$22Million), which has been the handwork of some miscreant elements from that Country.

We advice that you stop further communication with any correspondence from anywhere concerning your funds, you don't have to pass through any difficult to receive your fund, as you have meet up with the whole requirements.

We know your representatives in Nigeria or anywhere will advice you to still go ahead with them, which will be on your own risk.

Your TWENTY-TWO MILLION UNITED STATE DOLLARS (US$22Million) will reflect in your designated Bank account within three Bank working days.
Do not go through anybody again but through this Bank if you really want your fund. Finally, you are advice to re-confirm these to us, your full name, your contact Address,Occupation,Age, Telephone for easy communication.

Yours sincerely,
Mr. Carl Perry
Assistance Secretary,
Natwest Bank London,
United Kingdom.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Gosh, we get one of these type postings a day. We must be billionares by now.

I really did win a trip.....
Old 07-26-2010, 03:01 PM   #13

All I can say is...I'm mighty jealous! But glad for you!
Old 07-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisinthru View Post
I really did win a trip.....
Please come back and tell us about the trip after you have actually taken it. Sorry, I'm just as skeptical as calmloki.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I am the biggest skeptic in the world when it comes to winning things. I looked for the strings (time share anyone?), but I can't find any.

I am waiting for all the documents to reach me so we can do the planning. They say I should have them by the later part of this week at the latest. We are thinking of taking the trip in early October. I will definitely keep you posted.

The site that I won it on is
Old 07-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

OOps, the site is Franceguide.com
Old 07-27-2010, 11:48 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Looks legit to me.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I wanted to post a quick update on my trip to the Rhone-Alps. I have finally gotten all the documents for the trip. It seems I will be staying in a vineyard guesthouse in Chambery France for three days. We have talked to the guide who will be with us for the three days of hiking, touring by car, picnics, and lots of wine. We have the certificate from Air France for the flights and a four day rail pass from Rail Europe. We are set for that portion.

As I have said in the past, the only strings I could find in this deal is that no one would want to go from the US to France for only three days. We have decided to extend the trip to include three days in the Loire Valley and two days in the Burgandy area. We will fly into Paris and use our rail pass to get around. So I am now looking for suggestions for hotels/B and B's in the Loire Valley or around Dijon France. We are set to leave the US on Oct. 5th on this journey. Any comments on weather or other suggestions for the trip would be appreciated.