Join Early Retirement Today

Iceland Air travel packages to Iceland
Old 03-16-2017, 06:55 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Iceland Air travel packages to Iceland

Has anybody used any of the travel packages that Iceland Air offers to Iceland? I am thinking of perhaps a 4-7 day trip (plus traveling days) to Iceland either this year or next. From what I have heard it is an expensive country and these packages are good values.

What, if any, was your experience?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2017, 07:30 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Yes. Very much so. It is high on my bucket list. It is particularly attractive because if Icelandair's one way and open jaw fares. Aldo hoping that WOW will do something similar.

After all...for us it is on the way. Why not?
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:36 AM   #3

Not a specific package, but we've used their standard offer where you can go to/from a city in Europe with a connection in Reykjavik. On either leg you can stay in Iceland for up to two weeks at no extra cost. I love Iceland, and have been there in both summer and winter, but it is expensive.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

We are staying in Reykjavik on our last night. We just finished a 9 day trip where we drove around the entire island along the ring road.

We flew Iceland Air out of Wash-Dulles. The base airfare for Wow Air was a bit less but Iceland Air allowed two free checked bags, while Wow charged for checked bags. I also recall that Wow charged for a pre-assigned seats but verify that yourself. Both airlines strictly limit the size of the carry on. When you factored in one checked bag, the airfares worked out to be the same.

We did not do any package tour but did all the arrangements ourselves.

Zorba
Old 03-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We went to Iceland and drove around the Iceland with a package for the car rental, hotel/guest house, GPS, suggested itinerary, and free breakfast. Food is really expensive, and not that great. I brought several pounds of nuts and some granola bars on the trip so we could cut our food expenses by limiting our need to eat out to once daily. We chose pizza and hot dogs far more than we would have anywhere else.

I would definitely go with Icelandair over Wow. Plan what you want to see there ahead of time--the south part is loaded with volcanoes and glaciers, the east is warmer and more lush. The beauty of the country is stunning. Realize that much of the country has gravel roads and few services--the gas station company N1 was our friend, since they served food. Almost everyone speaks English. Do spend the money at the Blue Lagoon or at Myvatyn Nature baths, it was fun for us and our 25 year old son. Be prepared to hike to see things.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:06 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

DH and I went to Iceland in 2015 and loved it so much we were planning to go again in 2015 till he got sick. Even though I leave for Central America next month, I decided I HAD to go back to Iceland again this year so I'm going in August. I don't even look at air/hotel packages; I have an Airbnb apartment booked. A few thoughts:

1. Yes, food is expensive. I like the idea of protein bars; DH and I also got food from local grocery stores- sandwiches, etc. DH favored ramen noodles. I had to laugh that we were on an exotic, relatively expensive trip and that was what he ate!

2. I LOVED the "Inside the volcano" expedition (insidethevolcano.com). It's the only known hollowed-out volcano and the variety of rocks inside is pretty amazing.

3. If you drive or take a private guide and have chess fans in your party, Bobby Fischer is buried in Selfoss, not too far from Reykjavik.

4. Icelandic yarn is wonderful- there are a couple of shops in town that sell it in a huge variety of colors- natural but also dyed.

5. Check out the indoor public pools, which are geothermally-heated. I used one near the Hallgrimskirkja- Olympic-sized, not many people, $3/trip. Showering beforehand sans swimsuit in a large shower room (but separate for male/female) obligatory. Well, when in Rome....

I'm planning on day trips to Surtsey (a recently-formed volcanic island, which you can't actually enter, just sail close) and possibly Snaefellsnes, a peninsula further north. I looked at pictures on the web sites yesterday and got tears in my eyes. I am so glad to be going back soon.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
iceland air package