Join Early Retirement Today

Identifying your luggage?
Old 12-05-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Identifying your luggage?

Over and over we've heard to mark our luggage so you can find it easily at the airport--and to prevent theft. Well, a couple was arrested lately caught with over 2,000 pieces of luggage. It was on tv and lo! and behold! all the luggage was either black or dark navy. No wonder they say to make your luggage distinguishable!

Has anyone on this board found a way to mark their luggage without either destroying the piece or making yourself look like a doofus carrying it?

From my web homework it seems there are only 2 ways to mark luggage:
1. Bright duck-type tape on it or 2. actually paint something (dots, stripes, pictures) on the luggage itself.
The luggage piece I have that would go thru the carousel and not be allowed with me on the plane is a really pricey Hartman piece, and boy! I'd hate to tape it or paint it.

Is there another way I am missing insofar as marking your luggage for ez identification that I'm missing?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #2

We have bright colored luggage tags. Works just fine.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
Administrator

I took an old bright orange exercise band and cut it strips then tied the strips onto the handles/grips on our luggage. Does no damage and it stands out very well.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #4

I have a hot pink luggage tag, but if the luggage is turned away you couldn't see it. Seems we need a tad more than that.
One article did mention tying just a small plastic bag to the handle, which is kinda what Alan did--only he did alot better.
Also mentioned that some people tie small toy animals to the handle, but the airline employees pull them off...so bad idea there.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:07 PM   #5

DW has chunks of the family tartan tied to most handles and wheels.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #6

I normally have a 3" circle of brightly colored plastic attached to the handles of our luggage using nylon wire-ties. We also have some red or yellow yarn 'people' my Mom made, attached to the handles too. And last but not least, I take a damp red bandanna, roll it up like a do-rag, wrap it around the handle one full time, and then tie it tightly onto the handle...once it dries completely, it's nearly impossible to get off, so it can't possibly 'accidentally' fall off.

One time when I flew, I saw a suitcase that was very identifiable at the baggage claim area. Someone had taken a big hardshell suitcase, and painted it fluorescent orange, and had their initials in 3" or 4" bold black letters painted on all sides of it.....ya couldn't miss that one if ya tried!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #7

I use these brightly colored handle covers on each handle of my bag. They have a place inside for your name/address etc if you like external labeling on your bags. I've never seen anyone else with these on their bags while traveling.

Easy Spot Handle Wraps - Magellan's Travel Supplies
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Try a bright bungee cord around it, through the handles so it doesn't slide off.

I have a purple roll-bag, and the screaming-green dufflebag-thing. It is impossible to miss that second bag. It leaves a trail of retinal burns behind it!!

ta,
mew
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I went to the local craft store and bought the brightest ribbon I could find and tied a bow on each piece. Our luggage is red and the bows are made with wide ribbon in red, black, and green stripes. No one else has that combination. It has worked out very well. If anyone things the ribbon is odd, let them laugh, we find our luggage very easily.
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

At a trade show I got a free luggage tag that is made of a flourescent red gel. You could see it a mile away. That goes on the side handle.

For the top handle I dug down in my sewing kit and found over a yard of decades old yellow bias tape. I folded it back on itself several times and then tied it onto the handle in a bow, then tying the bow parts again in a double knot like you might do to keep children's tied shoes on.

Lots of people use yellow ribbon but not too many seem to use yellow bias tape.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:25 AM   #11

I see nobody is putting tape ON their nice luggage, which is sticky; which is what I've read to do. Seems tying something bright on works best if I go by responses here.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
We also have some red or yellow yarn ...... attached to the handles too.
For years, red seemed to work very well. In recent years, so many people started doing that that using a different color (not yellow, since that seemed to be fairly common also) became necessary.......I added a yellow to the red....you don't see too many w/ dual colors.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
For years, red seemed to work very well. In recent years, so many people started doing that that using a different color (not yellow, since that seemed to be fairly common also) became necessary.......I added a yellow to the red....you don't see too many w/ dual colors.
We also have ones made with red, white, and green all combined for travel during the Christmas season.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The luggage piece I have that would go thru the carousel and not be allowed with me on the plane is a really pricey Hartman piece, and boy! I'd hate to tape it or paint it.
Consider that the baggage handlers may find this attractive. They steal luggage, too.

I have used duct tape. DW has a sense of style that I lack and has luggage with fabric patterns on it.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:38 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

It's interesting that no proof of ownership is required when you leave baggage claim with a bunch of luggage. There was a time at some airports when someone at the main exits from the baggage carousels used to check that the passenger's claim tags matched the ones on the bags, but I haven't seen that done anywhere in the US or overseas for many years.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I have a hard shell roller Samsonite like this one:
Amazon.com: SamsoniteŽ Dura-lite Hardside 29" Hardside Wheeled Luggage: Clothing

There is a recessed strip all around that contains the locks, and the suitcase is supplied with a set of stick-on letters that fits within the recess - about 2" width. So my last name is readable from several meters away.

I also use a professional association luggage tag with my business card (I never, ever put my home address on the outside of a suitcase). And if I am travelling with a generic suitcase (e.g. black) I tie a red ribbon on the handle.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I try not to fly whenever possible, but when I do I just go with the brightly colored luggage tag. But my best method of getting my luggage is just to work my way through to where the luggage first comes out of the chute. I grab mine before anybody else (except airline employees) can steal it.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I try not to fly whenever possible
But your avatar is a bird!!!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #19

This is an easy one. Last time I bought a suitcase I bought in a nice green colour and usually it is the only one of it's kind so is easy to identify.

Victorinox Swiss Army - TravelGear - WT-24

When I was in Vietnam a couple of months ago, all luggage was checked against your claim tags before you were able to leave the baggage claim area. This was the first time I had seen that for years.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
But your avatar is a bird!!!
Yeah, but he's walking!

I don't have anything against flying, just airports and the TSA. I'm retired and if it takes me longer to get where I'm going, so what?