Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2009, 09:01 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Towards the end of his life and suffering from health problems, Robert Lewis Stevenson (Scottish author of Treasure Island etc) went to Western Samoa in the middle of nowhere Pacific Ocean. He found a good place to die. There are places there that are still pretty raw and beautiful. Kinda like what Hawaii must have been 150 years ago. If it wasn't for the evangelicals, they may still be having all sorts of good times without the guilt.

I only go to stay a month in my youth, I would love a longer visit next time.

Salaryman

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Manhattan. I haven't been there in 30 years, but on a two day visit back then it struck me as a place where I'd love to have an extended visit.

Coach

Coach

Old 08-22-2009, 10:06 PM   #23

Interesting that this question should come up as last night I was making a draft of how we would spend our first 3 years of travelling once we are retired. Truthfully, there are too many places that I want to go to name just one. On my list would include Vietnam, Italy - could do either Tuscany or Rome, France - Paris or Toulouse, Buenos Aires, Thailand - Chang Mai.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Is Mars an option? If so that is where I'd like to spend 6 months, clearly it would be great cocktail conversation afterwords.

Nope, sorry. Per thread title, it must be on this world.

My first thought was I'd love to spend 6 months living in the International Space Station after you mentioned Mars. But since we are terrestrially limited, I dunno. Somewhere really expensive since I probably wouldn't live there otherwise. Maybe Manhattan financial district. Tokyo. Singapore. London. Moscow.

Other places that are moderately priced I can do on my own after my 6 month dream residency, so why waste my dream residence on those affordable places?
Old 08-23-2009, 12:09 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Manhattan. I'd spend weeks at the museums, go to shows and galleries and gorge on street-vendor hotdogs and Italian foods. I'd people-watch and take my camera and take hundreds of pictures. I'd do it any time of year -- and I'd ride the subway pretty much everywhere, and live in a prewar six apartment and buy flowers from the vendors, and maybe even spend a week or two in Montauk or Fire Island or the Jersey Shore.

In fact, DH and I plan to do this once he's RE and the kids are off to college. I figure Manhattan will still be there in twenty years or so.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:33 AM   #26

Six months in one place is a long time. But drop me and a good bicycle and camping gear (and a wad of cash) in France and I'd ride the length of the Canal du Midi, and then I could sneak off on train trips to anywhere in Europe and you'd never know I left France.
There are lots of places in the world I haven't been that I'd like to visit, but they are all a bit too challenging for me to want to stay six months.
So I guess the answer is Europe.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:20 AM   #27

I'd do 6 months in a cabin outside of Jackson,Wy with an atv, mountain bike, jeep and a fishing pole
Old 08-23-2009, 07:11 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I am not sure where exactly but I would like to try a nice town on the CA coast like Santa Barbara. I will probably try a month or so in a VRBO condo sometime but I need to research the best places first. Needs good restaurants and good roads for bike riding.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Interesting that this question should come up as last night I was making a draft of how we would spend our first 3 years of travelling once we are retired.
Hah! That's one of my standard daydreaming activities too. I can actually fill up a couple years at per week granularity, in logical directional fashion for minimum travel expense.

As for original question, have traveled all over the world and given six months the answer is easy... New Orleans. Something about that place I can't put my finger has completely captured me, hell the food alone would keep me happy for six months.

Somewhere in Northern Thailand would be second, again the food! Yeah I'm one of those people who eats/drinks whatever they want and stays skinny.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

My real answer is that, after visiting many many places, I have always said that none compare with "home." -- that is, Denver.

On Hawaii: Yes, I would love to to spend six months in the Hawaii I first met:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/21/op...=hawaii&st=cse

However, the Hawaii of the past ten years or so is only tolerable for a couple hours weeks at a time.

Silver City, New Mexico is one place I do think about occasionally, though.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:34 AM   #31

I wouln't mind Hawaii for six months. I'd also love to live in a cabin in the relatively high mountains somewhere near a small lake, river, or creek.

Realistically, we probably will spend a month at a time every few years in Hawaii, and a week or two at a time in a travel trailer or RV in the mountains near a water source.

R
Old 08-23-2009, 10:13 AM   #32

You fish Rambler?
Old 08-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #33

We plan to live in Guisborough, N. Yorks, for 6 months in 2011. We've been looking at furnished accommadation, it is very affordable, and we are looking forward to it immensely. The reason is that we lived there before, from '79 to '85 and absolutely loved it (both children were born there). It is a market town on the edge of National Trust Moorland. 30 mins walk up steep hills get you on top of the moors, with plenty of places to walk to. It is also close to many other historic towns and beautiful countryside - James Herriot country for those who've read his books.

The following year we plan to live in Queensland, Australia, for 6 months. We've been there twice before for 3 weeks each time. We have family and friends living there, also the countryside and coastline is so beautiful plus you have the Great Barrier Reef. From there we also plan a few weeks in New Zealand - never been there but hear great things from friends who have.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:14 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

A swiss chalet, high in the Alps.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Hard to say. No first hand experiences outside the States so it would just be a guess. I'm sure I could easily find an enjoyable stay for 6 months here at home. Hawaii seems to be a no brainer. I've enjoyed my visits in the Vail, CO area so I know 6 months there would be fun. Outside the U.S., probably Australia.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #36

There have been a lot of replies to the effect that I would live some where for X months of the year.

I live in CA where it is nice all year and coastal California is my choice.

I have been to Hawaii a dozen time and love it there and I would certainly have no problem living there. I love the (warm) ocean, the mountains and the fact that so many people are active.

But as far as being the "best place" I rule out Hawaii because of the weather. It is just a little too hot and too humid there.

Edit: Sorry I didn't do a very good job of reading the original question. For 6 months my choice would probably be Paris or London or Rome.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, Manhattan to the Matterhorn, and Hawaii. This thread is news to me, Paul Theroux has re-married but OP isn't responding to his own question.

I'm inspired to park on the old easy chair for six months, re-read "The Magic Mountain" and Theroux's latest. He's settled down as a (part time, second career) beekeeper, who would have predicted that?
Old 08-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #38

Vancouver BC, Coastal California, Hawaii or Northern New Mexico
Old 08-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #39

Which six months out of the year? That determines whether I'd choose some place cool or some place warmer.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Which six months out of the year? That determines whether I'd choose some place cool or some place warmer.
Just chose coastal southern California so you're covered either way.