Join Early Retirement Today

Infant PFD
Old 08-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Infant PFD

We are off to Tahiti in a few days and are anticipating various water activities with our 7mo infant. We were in Hawaii back in March and had a blast with the baby in the hotel pool and ocean but never ventured out more than a few feet for obvious reasons. Since Tahiti has the fantastic lagoons we are planning to kayak with the little one so have been researching infant personal floatation devices (PFD) that are Type II and comfortable.

If anyone has experience with a decent one (Stohlquist, MTI, etc.) would appreciate opinions and insights.

Regards.
GusLevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't have kids, but people who brought babies on board our sailboat used a Mustang Lil Legends on theirs. And also used a tether. Have a wonderful trip!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

+1 on Little legends for long time wear, but to be honest all three of my kids passionately hated the big collar and restricted mobility at this age. Maybe your little one is more mellow
Also - they are tight for their stated weight - should not be a problem for your 7months old, but you'll graduate to next size earlier than you think - excellent snug fit though.
Also - it's not as comfy when it gets soaking wet, so I would not recommend swimming in it. If you want a swimming one, O'Neil or Stohlquist are better bets.
On a kayak you should not have an issue with a Stohlquist (or any neoprene PFD), but kids tend to get hotter in them than nylon shell ones. When we go sailing in hot weather I have my older kids sprinkle the youngest one with water

With all infant PFDs (ones with the collar) I recommend a dunk test in a pool to make sure that the fit is right and it will turn your kid face up.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

The final two after my Internet research are the Stohlquist Nemo and the Lil Legends. I agree sailor that mobility issues - and the potential crying and whining involved - are the biggest concerns with the big collar PFDs. However, as a parent whose concerns and fears are to be preyed upon by child product makers, it just seems so much more safe in case the worst happens!

Lil Legends has a strap in the front which Nemo doesn't but the Nemo does appear to be more form fitting than LL which prob makes it more comfortable. Decisions, decisions...

As for the tether idea...the lagoons are extremely calm but if they were choppy I prob wouldn't take the baby out too far, if at all. We will only kayak as well so she'll be beside us constantly. Which means, having said all that, we'll prob still tether her!
GusLevy is offline   Reply With Quote