Inspirational Traveler Sites/Blogs

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Retire Early Lifestyle
Billy and Akaisha Kaderli site was my first inspiriting site

Budget Travel by HoboTraveler.com
Hobo traveler is interesting. Andy tends to travel at the lower end of the travel spectrum.

Tioga George Blog
Tioga George is good also. He has traveled many different paths.

The above have been focusing on Mexico and Central America recently.
Does anyone know of any other sites/blogs of those who are doing different travels? Someone who is staying in apartments in Europe, Australia, maybe taking cruises and tours along the way. I guess what I'm looking for is middle of the road or 'middle class' travel.

I follow the frugal traveler blog at the nytimes. Right now, they're covering south america too, but they've done europe in the past.
Budget Travel - Frugal Traveler Blog - NYTimes.com

A cool blog by a couple of world travelers
Uncornered Market - measuring the Earth with our feet...

These are collections of travel blogs from individual travelers. Useful when you want to get some first hand information about the place you're traveling to.
Travel Blogs, Photos, Videos and Maps
Travel Blog - TravelPod™

I found this forum while researching travel plans
Index page • holidaytruths.co.uk

Lonely Planet's web site has great forums where you can get good information.

Good thread!

bumfuzzle.com - young couple travels the world. So far they have traveled in an old VW van, and a sailboat.

Funny you ask, I follow this guy religiously. An Indian guy who lived in the US and retired early !

he has an early retirement blog An Experiment in Retirement

Here is an interesting snippet from this site:

By choice, I don't write often about money and retirement, though the topic can't really be avoided and is always peripherally present. Plus, there are already so many books and blogs that pretty much equate a 'retirement lifestyle' with 'financing a life of retirement.'

This post is an exception because I really liked how Tim O'Reilly sums it up in this profile, as only he can.

"Money is lihttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/_x1VttifT-HU/TEPKiUfLAWI/AAAAAAAADVA/o-uzKxrAXqY/s1600/_curr.gifke gasoline during a road trip," he says. "You don't want to run out of gas on your trip, but you're not doing a tour of gas stations. You have to pay attention to money, but it shouldn't be about the money."

That's very well put isn't it ? I find a lot of people (myself very much included) interested in early retirement are obsessive types who spend to long staring at the trees and not at the forest.

I also follow a number of long distance cycling blogs for anyone interested in cycling. For anyone who just plain loves interesting characters, do yourself a favour and Google a German cyclist called Heinz Stucke. I would probably follow his example, if I could do it all over again...

Lots of great links on this thread already; thanks!

Living in Mexico's Lake Chapala area my favorite Mexico blog is by a couple of very creative and frugal low-budget retirees there:

Jim & Carole's Mexico Adventure

Thanks to that link to An Experiment in Retirement. I've just started reading it from the start and I quite like his style.

However, something I have noted is how common the issue is for parents to be totally puzzled as to why you would quit a perfectly good job to do nothing. WE had a friend who wanted to quit for years, hated his job, it was making him ill, but was too scared to do so because he was worried about telling his parents. This was a 40+ man I am talking about.

something I have noted is how common the issue is for parents to be totally puzzled as to why you would quit a perfectly good job to do nothing

I'm guessing the parents

a) lived through the Depression and so can't understand quitting any job for any reason, and/or

b) are worried about what to tell their friends when asked, "What does your son do?", and/or

c) idealize their son's job to the point of being blind to the fact that it's probably killing him.

Son needs to work up some cojones and act independently, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom