Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-29-2016, 03:01 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I suspect we'll see deployment of faster internet on different paths on airlines versus cruise ships, given how much airlines are used for business travel as compared to cruise lines.
Well if they can amortize it over more potential customers, maybe they can bring down costs and offer pricing that would entice leisure customers, resulting in much great volume of people using the service.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2016, 03:03 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Of course, but the difference in demand will almost ensure that the two venues will traverse the path at different rates.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

One-time cruiser here, on the Carnival Triumph, which, a few months later, became infamous for the "Poo Cruise". Sorry I missed that, though a friend from w*rk got to experience it firsthand. But I digress...

Internet access was slow and expensive. I opted for a few logins on an as-needed basis to post a few photos, but otherwise didn't use it. The few minutes of usage wasn't terribly expensive, though I don't recall the exact cost offhand.

I'm not very trusting of free, open internet access...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Princess Cruises line fined $40 million for deliberately dumping oil and waste from one of their ships and trying to cover it up.

U.S. Justice Department Fines Princess Cruises $40 Million for Pollution - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

When I was googling this article, I typed in Carnival Cruises instead and there were many stories about millions in fines for other cruise lines.

Are they deliberately dumping and paying fines repeatedly as a cost of doing business?
Old 12-01-2016, 10:08 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Well if they can amortize it over more potential customers, maybe they can bring down costs and offer pricing that would entice leisure customers, resulting in much great volume of people using the service.
Maybe they don't want folks spending hours a day locked up in their rooms on the "interwebs".

Better to force them out to spend money on excursions, etc...

Just a thought.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:11 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

True, and if Internet was fast and cheap, a lot of people would be staring at their phones during meals and all those events that they schedule.

So maybe they wouldn't have to schedule as many of those on-board events and activities.

BTW, I hear on river cruises, the paid on-shore excursions are mandatory?
Old 12-01-2016, 10:27 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
BTW, I hear on river cruises, the paid on-shore excursions are mandatory?
Not in my experience - which is with Viking. There's always a free excursion at each stop, plus paid ones that do more (like wine/beer tasting, go further afield, etc).

Some people arrange their own activities as well. We did this in Vienna and it worked out great. And there were always people who stayed on board ship.

Other companies obviously may vary.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:17 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Not in my experience - which is with Viking. There's always a free excursion at each stop, plus paid ones that do more (like wine/beer tasting, go further afield, etc).
I was impressed by that last year on Viking. There was no discrimination between the free and paid excursions at each stop; all were treated the same. We're going to do another one next year.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:51 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Calico, we took that cruise with Princess last summer but I didn't need internet that trip. I would never cruise with them again. WE were on the Grand Princess which is really old. The ship leaked so they had buckets in the halls. Someone we knew had their room flooded. The tether boats also leaked from the top so it was raining inside and out. The only decent food was in the main dining room. The buffets were old and cold. The entertainment was good. The toilets kept getting plugged up and out of service so big lines to use the bathrooms. From now on we are sticking to RC.
We are sailing on the Island Princess in June. I just read the reviews, mostly decent! Thanks for the heads up!
calico1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

WE paid 180 for 13 days of internet on RC. The only reason is because I was teaching my class. Otherwise we just are unconnected from the world when we go. Also on Princess some of the staff was rude. That never happened on RC.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:26 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have done a few cruises on Celebrity (South America, Alaska, Spain, and the one your booked on). We booked one for Signapore next December. We tend to work the deals on booking, and get the internet included for free. The one we just booked came with the Go Best package and we got a bunch of extra credit onboard for booking while on the last cruise.

I always transfer the booking to Costco Travel and they rebate me the commission in a gift card ($860 bucks last time). Just to know, the Celebrity wifi is way better than it used to be and we have a Vonage line we can use to receive and send wifi calls while on ship using the App.

Also it should be noted we do like Suites, but that aside, I called Costco last month and they had a special which cut our fares in half, but keeping all the perks from our on board booking. You just can't beat that, since all the suites were then sold out, we kept ours and got it for the same as an Aqua Class rate with the Go Best package on the new lower rate sale.

All said, try to get the perks included. You can work the fare and perks up to the time you pay in full. January can be a hot month to get a lower rate or upgrade with a perk package including the internet, tips, premium drinks and OBC.

Just FYI
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote