Join Early Retirement Today

Internet On Cruise?
Old 11-27-2016, 10:32 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Internet On Cruise?

We are planning on a 7 day cruise next year, out of Puerto Rico will visit Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua, St Maarten, & the US VIs. Celebrity cruise line wants a crazy price for phone & internet on the cruise. I just want to check the occasional email, have family with medical issues and want to stay in touch. I think I can live with no signal at sea but maybe can connect durning port visits. We have AT&T so should have regular phone & internet in PR & US VIs, not sure about other locations. Any suggestions about making local phone/wifi connections while in port?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2016, 11:06 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
How about phoning places around where you will be in port to see if they have wifi ? Or phone the tourist office at the various ports. (use skype as otherwise it will be really expensive just to phone them).

Or just enjoy your holiday, after all, lets say someone says "Oh I'm a lot sicker now" are you going to jump ship and try to find an airport, and perhaps it will take 2 days to fly home from some tiny island all at last minute prices ?
And if you don't go, then you will just fret for the rest of the trip since they "are sicker now".

Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:05 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Investigate your data roaming options and cost/coverage with your current carrier. If roaming charges apply, be sure to disable. Also, be careful with the cruise ship wifi as it might connect automatically.

Research the cruise ports and look for free wifi spots. Once you have wifi, you can check email and use Skype or Google Hangouts Dialer for phone calls.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:44 AM   #4

I have been doing some research on this too.

You may be able to do wi-fi calling right on the ship. MagicJack, faceTime, or GoogleVoice. Or, if your phone allows it, WiFi calling right from the phone. Unless the ship has blocked that VoIP band. You will need a WiFi package from the ship, which is different than a cell phone connection.

If you use a cell signal that is generated by the Ship, it will be VERY expensive, like multiple dollars per minute. Remove your Sim card unless you know you will be connecting to the shore towers. The ship is not supposed to broadcast the signal within ~20 miles of shore, but a connection mistake could cost you big.

I know I can make a WiFi call with my phone, without a sim card even in the phone. I thought this feature would be great for locations that do not have any cell signals.

However, I was recently at a place where I had a poor WiFi signal, and could not make a call. I also had 4+ bars on my phone, and it could not call out either. It would not roam, emergency calls only. T-Mobile did not have coverage there, but Verizon did.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:54 AM   #5

You should be able to get WI FI in port, just be very careful that you are not connecting to the ship signal. We do without internet while on ship also.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:01 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I have been doing some research on this too.

You may be able to do wi-fi calling right on the ship. MagicJack, faceTime, or GoogleVoice. Or, if your phone allows it, WiFi calling right from the phone. Unless the ship has blocked that VoIP band. You will need a WiFi package from the ship, which is different than a cell phone connection.

If you use a cell signal that is generated by the Ship, it will be VERY expensive, like multiple dollars per minute. Remove your Sim card unless you know you will be connecting to the shore towers. The ship is not supposed to broadcast the signal within ~20 miles of shore, but a connection mistake could cost you big.

I know I can make a WiFi call with my phone, without a sim card even in the phone. I thought this feature would be great for locations that do not have any cell signals.

However, I was recently at a place where I had a poor WiFi signal, and could not make a call. I also had 4+ bars on my phone, and it could not call out either. It would not roam, emergency calls only. T-Mobile did not have coverage there, but Verizon did.
Th only way to get wifi on the ship is to subscribe to the access the cruise line offers, which is the wildly expensive option mentioned in the OP.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Th only way to get wifi on the ship is to subscribe to the access the cruise line offers, which is the wildly expensive option mentioned in the OP.
That maybe true with Celebrity, but not all cruise lines.

Viking includes internet access. Everyone was using their phones and iPads on board the Viking Star on a recent Mediterranean cruise we took with them.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:08 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
That maybe true with Celebrity, but not all cruise lines.

Viking includes internet access. Everyone was using their phones and iPads on board the Viking Star on a recent Mediterranean cruise we took with them.
No disagreement, but the OP question is specifically about an upcoming Celebrity Cruise Line trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Any suggestions about making local phone/wifi connections while in port?
An Internet cafe or free wifi might be found in the ports you call on, although there may also be another couple of hundred passengers with the same intention. How much of your time visiting ports do you want to spend looking for access?

Have you looked into the AT&T international plan to see how much it would cost to have Internet access?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:53 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Ask the cruise staff where there is internet in the ports they always know .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:15 AM   #10

When you get off the ship, you can find fast food restaurants and other places that have WIFI signs. Check your emails for the price of a cup of coffee at a Starbucks.

You're right about the cruise lines using internet as a big source of income. Their coverage is pretty slow anyway.

I'm a big fan of Celebrity, and the cruise itineraries out of San Juan. They're the best cruises in this part of the world--essentially hitting a different port every day. You'll have a great time.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sorry but not what I look for
Old 11-28-2016, 09:22 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry but not what I look for

So I have only been on 7 cruises, but my main objective of being on a cruise is too escape all of the life interruptions for that brief week of time or longer. Putting all of those handheld electronic devices into the cabin safe and locking them away is part of our ritual.

So even though more and more ships are now getting more and more connected so you can stay on everything at Sea for a price, I'll pass and instead study what the drink of the day is as many times as needed.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:37 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

We just did that cruise...

I am not a phone or internet person who has to get Wi-Fi all the time...

DW was able to get a signal at most ports, but I told her not to connect with some since they were bars or other places in port... I only wanted her to connect with the ones where the port supplied it....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

How expensive is the wifi on a cruise ship? Has anyone ever used it? We will have a cruise in two weeks and there is a teenager with us and wifi connection for gaming is a must.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:30 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
How expensive is the wifi on a cruise ship? Has anyone ever used it? We will have a cruise in two weeks and there is a teenager with us and wifi connection for gaming is a must.
Depends on the cruise line: https://cruiseline.com/advice/before...-cruise-ships-

I suspect that "must" is going to be a problem.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
Be forewarned: on any ship I've seen, it's not only expensive, but also S-L-O-O-O-W.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:53 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

On the cruise I went to back in January, first thing I did was put my cell phone in the cabin safe and left it there until ready to go home. Having no connection to the outside world for 10 days was both frustrating and relaxing. Frustrating as trying to make simple plans (such as what time to meet for dinner) with friends on the ship wasn't so simple and hit or miss. But at the same time, not getting electronically distracted did bring about peace and a reminder that I was on vacation.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #17

I'll take the cellphone issue one step farther. I disconnected my cell phone after only making 5 calls per month on average. (The DW has a cellphone we can be reached on--when she keeps the battery charged.)

Since I retired "early", I'm not nearly is important as I once was. And communicating is second priority to visiting great places.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:18 PM   #18

Internet is one of the reasons I won't take a cruise.

It's almost as important as power and air conditioning.

I bought Internet on flight to Australia for $19. First 4 hours wasn't bad. High pings but I got over 3 Mbps in a Speedtest.

Even streamed video for awhile.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:30 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Internet is one of the reasons I won't take a cruise.

It's almost as important as power and air conditioning.

I bought Internet on flight to Australia for $19. First 4 hours wasn't bad. High pings but I got over 3 Mbps in a Speedtest.

Even streamed video for awhile.
You must have been a basket case before internet!
Old 11-28-2016, 02:43 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Most port terminal buildings have free wifi, in my experience. I can't speak to your specific ports but in general I have found it to be quite common for the terminals to have it.

Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote