Join Early Retirement Today

Ireland
Old 02-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ireland

Will be visiting this summer. Not sure how long possibly a month long stay. Will be starting in Dublin. Anything not to miss?

Thanks
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Will be visiting this summer. Not sure how long possibly a month long stay. Will be starting in Dublin. Anything not to miss?

Thanks
My son was an exchange student at UCD last fall, so we went to Dublin for six days in December to visit him. Here is what we liked, in no particular order:

1. Historical walking tour of Dublin, begins at main gate of Trinity College
2. Killmain Gaol
3. Guiness Storehouse (OK, this was one continuous beer advertisement, but you finally get an actual beer when you work your way to the top of the Storehouse and you can sip it while enjoying a great view of Dublin City)
4. Day tour out to New Grange and the Hill of Tara.
5. Beatty Museum
6. Writer's museum
7. National Archeological Museum

We didn't spend much time in the pubs. Maybe next time. Also, Dublin is an expensive city for eating out. Worse than other European cities we have been too.

OhSoClose
OhSoClose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

I second Trinity College plus I would recommend that you pack layers of clothing . We went to Ireland in the first week of September and it snowed . We were only in Dublin for a few days but surprisingly the Irish food was great even in the smallest pubs . Sorry Meadh but I did not expect that and I'm Irish !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Great choice NML!

I second all the suggestions so far (#2 is Kilmainham gaol) and would like to add the Ring of Kerry (Iveragh Peninsula)
Ring of Kerry Tourism

and Connemara Connemara.net - Connemara, Co. Galway, Ireland

and West Cork West Cork Tourism - West Cork Ireland including one of my favourite towns, Kinsale Kinsale Ireland Kinsale Cork Ireland West Cork

I could go on and on, Ireland being where I grew up, but I would probably bias you towards my own favourite haunts. I'm happy to try to answer specific questions as your plans develop. Feel free to PM me.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #5

Thanks all. Great stuff! Cork is on the list for sure. Along with the Cliffs of Moher .

Will be traveling with a little one. So probably not too much pub crawling
Old 02-02-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Thanks all. Great stuff! Cork is on the list for sure. Along with the Cliffs of Moher .

Will be traveling with a little one. So probably not too much pub crawling

I don't know about that. We're planning on renting a cottage in the west for two weeks in the summer of 2011; we'll have little ones and plan on plenty of pub crawling, given that our understanding is that kids are welcome at the pubs. If they have fish and chips our kids will be happy; if they have Guiness and Irish Bacon I and DH will be happy. If there is live music of a traditional nature, we will all be ecstatic!

If you go to Cork City, the emigration museum there is really interesting. It's the port through which many, many Irish (most?) immigrated to the US during the Famine. Sort of the like the Irish Ellis Island, in reverse.

Have fun on your trip, and let us know what you liked!
Old 02-03-2010, 05:06 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am not a city person....countryside is what I like. On recommendation of some locals we went to the Dingle Peninsula instead of the Ring of Kerry. Less tourists and arguably prettier. Also liked N Ireland in the Portrush area. Giants c. was ok, but it isn't that great, the coastline is nice. I thought the Killarney area pretty. Watched a bit of the Irish dance championships in Limerick....nice for a while but everybody is doing a lot of the same thing. Thought Limerick was a bit depressing (early 80's when I was there). Ahhh heck, I like countryside and Ireland has a bunch.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:51 AM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSoClose View Post
Guiness Storehouse (OK, this was one continuous beer advertisement, but you finally get an actual beer when you work your way to the top of the Storehouse and you can sip it while enjoying a great view of Dublin City)
Just watch out that you don't stumble over the young "lad's & lassies" (from Trinity, I assume) sprawled out on the floor, enjoying their brew.

Yeah, been there, done that ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (327.4 KB, 2 views)
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I was in Dublin for about a week in 2005 for a trip centered around the U2 concert at Croke Park. My initial and lasting impression of the city was that it was a beautiful city that mixed its history and heritage well with the modern additions that was/is occurring in the past decade or so. The "touristy" area of Dublin is not confined to an area that is isolated from much of the historical attractions so that is nice. The River Liffey which is the heart of Dublin's activities and commerce has many crossing bridges so is a great area to simply hang out.

I spent a couple days aimlessly walking around a lot of the city in and out of the tourist areas and found the city to be a very walkable one as many parks and historical locations exist throughout. If I were to have to quickly answer as to what was the most memorable spot I would also probably have to vote for Kilmainham Gaol prison. The history of the prison is deep and fascinating: It is one of those places on Earth where one can feel the ghosts around you.
GusLevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - in honor of your planned trip and this rainy dreary weather I think I'll make me some irish stew with guinness real soon!

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Hmmm - in honor of your planned trip and this rainy dreary weather I think I'll make me some irish stew with guinness real soon!

Audrey
Hey Audrey you got the recipe for that! I keep seeing that prison is a great place to visit...Guess Ill have to journey
Old 02-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
If you go to Cork City, the emigration museum there is really interesting. It's the port through which many, many Irish (most?) immigrated to the US during the Famine. Sort of the like the Irish Ellis Island, in reverse.
You mean the Cobh Heritage Centre and I quite agree!
Irish Genealogy Reserach: Cobh Heritage Centre, County Cork, Ireland, Home Page
Did you know that Cobh was the last port of call of the Titanic?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote