Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-11-2018, 10:12 AM   #261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Yeah...convenient when we fly out to Toronto via Icelandair....to get to downtown Munich we'll grab public transport...all part of the trip.
I almost always take public transit to get to my hotel from the Airport. In fact, I check that out. No point in saving $40 on a badly located hotel, if one has to pay nearly $40 or more to get there. Plus all the other assorted costs of a bad location, which often exceed the price of a better located hotel. My 2¢.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #262
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My first thought was I would prefer not to share bathrooms with other people. Then I remembered our 2 schooner trips and we definitely shared the 2 bathrooms with the other people on the schooner. Not so bad.
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #263
Recycles dryer sheets

Can I recommend Andyer airplane foot slings? You can google them on Amazon. Just used them on the loooooong flight to Australia and they worked great, you can just put your feet in them, not your calves like it shows in some pics, but it gave me so much relief (i'm shortish) and I was able to sleep in my cheapo economy seat. You don't need to keep your tray table open, the strap can hang off the closing thingamajig joint. And they are under 10 bucks.
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #264
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I almost always take public transit to get to my hotel from the Airport. In fact, I check that out. No point in saving $40 on a badly located hotel, if one has to pay nearly $40 or more to get there. Plus all the other assorted costs of a bad location, which often exceed the price of a better located hotel. My 2¢.
Our preference is to be in a small studio within the urban core of a city, in an area where there's a close combination of residents and businesses, (usually stores/markets), and this generally takes us slightly further afield from the 'obligatory sights' locale where many hotels are situated*........but still easily accessible by metro/buses/streetcars, (we often/always buy passes).

We find it enjoyable to be where people 'live' and conduct their day to day activities, so as to feel the proverbial 'pulse' of the cities.

(*Back in the mid/late 1980s, due to my late wife's association with Air France, we were comped, for layovers in Paris, at Hôtel Concorde La Fayette, (now the Hyatt Regency Paris Étoile), or Le Meridien Etoile.........worth every penny we paid for them...which was zero. )

We all have our own preferences...I'm not suggesting that ours are better, other than that they are better for us.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #265
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Yup, I will rarely stay near the airport.

Even for one night, I'd rather stay in the center next to restaurants and so on.

Airport hotels feel like ghost towns.

And I also take public transport when I can. As long as I can lift my 45-50 pound suitcase, I will continue to do so.

Last month, I went from North Sydney to the airport for a flight to Melbourne. I would have liked to take one of those shared shuttles but they won't pick up anywhere north of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, even though it's just a couple of miles from the CBD.

So I considered Uber but decided to take the train, which required changing at the main station. Only saved about $10-15 I think, but old LBYM habits die hard.

This was on a Sunday morning so the trains weren't too crowded. If it was a weekday, my understanding is that those trains are packed in rush hour so I probably would have used the Uber.

When I arrived in Melbourne, I took a shared shuttle and I think I was like the second or third drop off so it wasn't that much longer than taking a taxi.

A couple of days later, I had to go to pick up a rental car and the Victoria transport site didn't show any trams or buses which would have avoided walking some distance with my suitcases.

So I used an Uber for a 1-2 mile ride, came out to $5. No tipping in Uber in Australia yet. Also used Uber when I returned the car to get to my hotel before flying out.

Used a share shuttle again to get to the airport. I did have to leave for the airport probably an hour or two earlier than I otherwise would have. Uber would have been about $40-45 USD.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #266
Give me a forum ...

"Is $12,000 per year in travel enough?"

I used to think that for us, it might not be enough. And that's not because we traveled luxuriously, but because we loved to travel.

Just a few years later, I now think it's enough, unless we do extravagant style that we are not accustomed to. I am getting tired already, and may not travel as much as I thought I would.

That's kind of sad, as I reflect on this. Maybe the wanderlust will come back. I dunno.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #267

We do 5 weeks annually and still only spend around $5k to 4-5 locations annually. We did a 40 day trip to Europe and 10 days cruise to Istanbul (and others) for a whopping $9k a few years ago. Learn how to travel on off-times and enjoy very economical travel.
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #268

2018 booked so far:
2 weeks Australia inc cruise to Tasmania 4k
3 weeks to Budapest - Bucharest still to pay for over summer --- gotta be under 4k, more like 3k
Week whitewater / camping 1k
2 weeks in November to Singapore inc 10 night cruise 4k

So yeah, I can do it for 12k
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:52 AM   #269
Give me a forum ...

We won't spend as much on travel this year because our old big dog was heartbroken in Feb. when we were gone on a cruise for 11 days even though my son moved in. So instead of a cruise this summer we are taking a month long RV trip on the Oregon coast. This way we can bring him with us. We do have a cruise planned in 11 months so if he is still alive he will have to suck it up)
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:00 AM   #270
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's obviously not our first choice but we've stayed at a handful of places where we've had to share the washroom. I wouldn't rule it out again but it'd have to be in the right conditions.
Once in Madrid where the toilet was down the hall but you had a sink in your bedroom.
Once in Bern where we booked a private room in a hostel hotel.
Once in Munich near the Octoberfest grounds where the washroom was down the hall.
Once in a very basic hole in the wall in Amsterdam near Central Station.

We've never had a bad experience with these shared bathroom situations. The guest to washroom ratio has been pretty good where we're not waiting for access. For example, the private room in the hostel was pretty good in that it was on a dedicated floor with only two private rooms that shared the washroom. I guess it also comes down to timing if you're getting ready at the same time as everyone else, which I guess we typically don't. The exception was the Munich place where everyone was getting up around the same time to catch the complementary breakfast.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:23 PM   #271
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
2018 booked so far:
2 weeks Australia inc cruise to Tasmania 4k

So yeah, I can do it for 12k
Just got back from 3 weeks in Tasmania! Loved it and now my favorite vacation ever!
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #272

Tasmania is my favorite down under only got 2 days there
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:49 PM   #273
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Tasmania is my favorite down under only got 2 days there
What, you didn't visit Camooweal?

Camooweal, QLD - Aussie Towns

(Late 1962...left the Dam in Kununurra and three of us drove east......Camooweal had an old 'western' type pub, batwing doors, (I kid you not, and it's probably still there), right out of High Noon.

On the 'main intersection', (dirt roads, not a soul around.....well, other than two old guys sitting outside the pub).........somehow we obtained a cricket bat.......the batsman stood in the middle of the intersection, and the 'bowler' (having a sip of beer in between bowls), would run out of the bar, through the batwing doors, and hurl the ball.

Ah, youth. )

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:08 PM   #274
Give me a forum ...

In Europe we prefer to stay in nice hotels in the central area within walking distance of key sites even though they are more expensive. And sometimes we take taxis from the airport or major train hub - gasp! If we are relocating with luggage, we often do the taxi, otherwise pubic transportation is fine.

Even with those expenses, you could still easily do two major European trips for two from the US for $12K a year.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:40 PM   #275
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
In Europe we prefer to stay in nice hotels in the central area within walking distance of key sites even though they are more expensive. And sometimes we take taxis from the airport or major train hub - gasp! If we are relocating with luggage, we often do the taxi, otherwise pubic transportation is fine.

Even with those expenses, you could still easily do two major European trips for two from the US for $12K a year.
I dunno. From where we are, airfare to Europe may run more than $1K a piece for economy, then that's $4K already for a couple for 2 trips. The $12K is doable, but each trip cannot be too long.

If one wants business class, then the $12K is not enough for airfares.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:45 PM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I dunno. From where we are, airfare to Europe may run more than $1K a piece for economy, then that's $4K already for a couple for 2 trips. The $12K is doable, but each trip cannot be too long.

I agree. Even booking part of our air with miles and the rest on a discount carrier, air for two from LAX is going to be close to $2K. If we hadn’t had the miles to offset the cost, our air would have been between $3.5K-$4K. If you multiply that by 2, that’s $7-$8K for air alone before any lodging or ground transportation. I don’t see how anyone could do 2 trips to Europe in a year for $12K, at least from the West Coast.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:29 PM   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

We fly business/first class when we travel for flights longer than 4 hours. The extra comfort of a lie-flat seat for a long flight is well worth it. Remember you can‘t take your money with you and for us health is more important than anthying else. If you shop around and are flexible with your dates, you can get pretty good prices for business class seats. Business class seats to Europe are discounted during the summer months when the demand is lower from business travellers. Flights out of LAX are very competitive and there are lots of deals. LAX to FLL or JFK sell for $1200 return on JetBlue Mint which is buy far the best domestic business/first class service. We booked our LAX to LHR seats on Virgin Atlantic business class for this July and returning in September for $3500 each. It's an eleven hour flight so for us it's well worth it. We booked Alaska air first class this June for $802 each return. That was a no-brainer given that the return economy seat was $521 plus luggage fees and meals. We also accumulate more mileage flying business class and use out points to buy free tickets. Plus it keeps my wife happy. Happy wife = happy life.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:48 AM   #278

"Is $12,000 per year in travel enough?"

We have cheap trips and we have costly trips and they average out to below that number.
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:48 AM   #279
Give me a forum ...

It might also matter what expenses are included for travel. We include every expense incurred while travelling as a "Travel" expense. Many others don't include food or possibly gas which could add up.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:46 AM   #280

If you are retired to travel, $12,000 is not enough. However, it is enough for two persons to do two to three nice vacations each year, if you have something else to do in the rest of the year in retirement.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote