Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-28-2016, 04:59 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
Prague/Czech Republic is a great place to visit without spending a lot of money.
You got that right! 2013 we rented an apartment in Strašnice District for 12 days......first trip to the supermarket, (and we still imbibed back then), IIRC a whole bunch of groceries and three bottles of wine.......reconciling the bill I found it came to around $20 Canadian.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2016, 06:40 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
You got that right! 2013 we rented an apartment in Strašnice District for 12 days......first trip to the supermarket, (and we still imbibed back then), IIRC a whole bunch of groceries and three bottles of wine.......reconciling the bill I found it came to around $20 Canadian.

Sounds about right. That's my plan to mitigate sequence of returns risk.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:36 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
Sounds about right. That's my plan to mitigate sequence of returns risk.
Great thread merge!
Old 04-29-2016, 08:41 AM   #64
Administrator

Is $12,000 per year in travel enough?

Is $12,000 per year in travel enough? That depends on YOU and how much you personally want to spend on travel. There is no way that anybody else can make that decision for you.

So far after 6+ years of retirement, I have spent a total of $914 on travel. That was the cost of my Hurricane Isaac evacuation back in 2012. Due to lack of motel room availability we ended up in Eutaw, Alabama, which believe me is a whole different world from New Orleans and perhaps not a prime destination.

Other than that one evacuation trip, I haven't had any desire to travel (and haven't). A quick back-of-the-envelope computation tells me that so far in retirement I have averaged $914/6 = $152/year on travel.

In my opinion, travel can be a giant black hole into which (if desired) one can toss nearly any amount of excess money.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:55 AM   #65

It comes down to where you want to travel and how you want to travel. We recently came back from our third winter in SE Asia. This time we included a month Vietnam. It was fairly inexpensive.

Next winter for us will either be South America (starting in Argentina) or returning to Central America. Probably a month in one place and six to eight weeks of independent travel.

Our decision is based on a combo of budget, bucket lists, currency values, cost of living, air fares, and current travel bargains.

$12K USD will take us a long way in some geographies, not so much in others. You will need to 'pick you spots' if your budget and desired travel time is to be realized.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:05 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

In my opinion, travel can be a giant black hole into which (if desired) one can toss nearly any amount of excess money.
Although we plan to split the difference between your travel and that of gone4good, I think no truer words on travel can be spoken!
Old 05-03-2016, 11:53 AM   #67

Recently came back from 8 week winter trip to Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam.

Door to door total was $8600. CAD, about $7000USD. That included flights to Thailand/return, 7 flights while we were there, 2 day Halong Bay cruise, and numerous private day tours w/driver and guide.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Recently came back from 8 week winter trip to Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam.

Door to door total was $8600. CAD, about $7000USD. That included flights to Thailand/return, 7 flights while we were there, 2 day Halong Bay cruise, and numerous private day tours w/driver and guide.
Well done.

So...where are the pics?

Old 05-03-2016, 12:47 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

$12,000 is certainly doable, but a bit more would be even better.

My wife and I spent less than 10k for 6 weeks traveling, pretty luxuriously, in Argentina and Chile last winter (including a 2 week cruise (Concierge Class on Celebrity) from BA to Santiago, a couple of internal flights, upper middle to luxury hotels, etc., etc.... We're budgeting even less (about $6-8,000 for four weeks hiking in Switzerland this summer (3 star hotels), including a long weekend in London (but not including the business class airfare we got with miles)

Enjoy!
Old 05-03-2016, 02:18 PM   #70

Those numbers are helpful. We are tentatively planning to spend next winter (three months) in either South America or Central America. If we select SA, the plan will be to start in Argentina/Uruguay and book a last minute cruise to Chile. The plan would be to find a place in Argentina near the ocean for a month or so. SA is very inviting from a currency value perspective.

Sorry nemo, no pics.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:22 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Sorry nemo, no pics.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:46 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

I spend over $25k per year on travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #73

Last year we spent $16,600 on travel other than seeing the grandchild (latter is 3-hour drive away, spend one night n hotel) plus $700 for grandchild travel.

From what I can remember, the $16,000 included:

1. Flight to Iceland from Boston in Business Class (DH takes too long to recover from long-hauls in Coach), 8 hotel nights there, various excursions. Used points and miles for flights to and from Boston and for hotel in Boston before and after. That alone ran about $10K.

2. Two family weddings, both road trips with overnights en route. Took DS, DDIL and the Munchkin with us on one, which necessitated renting an SUV big enough for 5 people plus munchkin gear. Giving Mom a chance to see her latest great-grandchild: priceless.

3. Two nights at our favorite B&B in Hermann, MO.

4. Our usual Christmas trip to visit parents in Myrtle Beach, also a road trip. We stay at a Best Western with a balcony on the ocean, at $60/night. We also paid for one airfare for DS and DDIL and our granddaughter to join us, which I counted in the Gifts category. They stayed with my parents and a great time was had by all.

5. I flew to Ohio for a picnic celebrating the 50th anniversary of the founding of our school; when I heard they were bringing back the nuns who had taught us (who couldn't have been much older than us at the time), I had to go.

Our expenditures for 2016 shouldn't be quite that bad; no weddings on the horizon. We spend very little in areas important to the average person (clothing, cars, general accumulation of stuff) and this is a priority. I still like to track this line item because I know it's one area where we could cut back if we had to; it's likely to diminish at some point if DH, who is 77, is no longer up for major trips.

We found out a few weeks ago that Mom's breast cancer, which she beat 8 years ago, has returned and spread to many parts of her body. She's 85 and is taking meds to slow the progress of the disease but refuses to go through chemotherapy or anything else with crippling side effects. Those two trips which enabled her to see what a delightful little girl our granddaughter is, and see my son, who went through some difficult years, happily married, really were priceless.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:41 AM   #74

We are going to Toronto in August for a family wedding. Yet again.

After that we will go to Europe-probably Southern Europe for six weeks. Where we go will depend on the air fare deals and whether we can score a last minute cruise. Plus independent land travel. We want a Baltic or Med cruise, or both, followed by some time in Greece, Croatia, or perhaps Spain/Portugal,Italy or Turkey. Might depend on how we fly home and what the best airfares are-both TA and budget within Europe. Might even be a stopover in Iceland on the way depending on the air fare.

That is how we travel. So I am doing some research now. We may not know exactly where we are going until two or three weeks prior to liftoff.

It is our way of staying within a reasonable budget and going to the places on our bucket list. . We have done this for several years and it works for us. So when we leave for the wedding we need to pack for 2 weeks at the cottage, 6 weeks overseas and be prepared for a wedding, a cruise, and some independent travel. Except the cruise may not happen if the price is not right. The rest will. And remember to take our passports with us.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:03 AM   #75

As others have said it totally depends on your tastes and means. We have developed very expensive travel tastes because of our means. Our current budget is about an order of magnitude higher than this but, early in retirement we went a little crazy and spent multiples of even that. Having said that, there is no doubt that $12k can provide a reasonable annual budget for many (most?). Travel points really help and we use them extensively for business class on longer flights.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:26 AM   #76

Brett...what happens if one of these last minutes cruise bargains requires a Visa, is it possible to obtain one quickly.?.I've often wondered about how this works, I have seen great cruise bargains in off season. I have access to stand-by passes on Delta so the Visa might be the only possible hold-up.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #77

The only place in Europe that we have needed a visa was Turkey. Really more than a tax rather than a visa. Just paid as we entered. Same in our recent travels to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Australia inasmuch as the visa were easy to obtain either on entry of very quickly prior to entry. In Costa Rica we had thirty days but could have easily done a 'visa run' to cross the border and come back in, thereby renewing our 30 day stay.

Have to do some research though as we want to get to St. Petersburg on a land trip at some point so we need to find out if and what the visa procedure looks like.

Your question is very valid. We looked at a last minute cruise from SE Asia to Dubai. It had three stops in India. Until recently India was terrible for Visas, even for Commonwealth nations. We decided against the cruise because we did not have enough time to secure the visa. Had we been able to get a visa on arrival we would have booked it.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:46 PM   #78

I believe Brazil requires a Visa ahead of time as well, which can make certain South America trips problematic on short notice. I have access to a UK passport which has a easier Visa list, but my DH doesn't...I did not pursue the passport because it wouldn't really help when we travel as a couple.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #79
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I believe Brazil requires a Visa ahead of time as well
Brazil is an extreme stickler for reciprocity. It's a pain in the butt for a Brazilian to get a visa to the US, so they return the favor. Not really all that difficult in the long run, but you have to follow the rules and it does take time.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:01 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
As others have said it totally depends on your tastes and means. We have developed very expensive travel tastes because of our means. Our current budget is about an order of magnitude higher than this but, early in retirement we went a little crazy and spent multiples of even that. Having said that, there is no doubt that $12k can provide a reasonable annual budget for many (most?). Travel points really help and we use them extensively for business class on longer flights.
Order of magnitude means 10 times as much.