Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Order of magnitude means 10 times as much.
Silly me I thought you just moved the decimal to the right one place.:sly:
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Silly me I thought you just moved the decimal to the right one place.:sly:

Six of one, half dozen of the other...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:38 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think he means that.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:39 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Yikes!
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:43 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Nemo2 and Danmar represent Canadian extremes of the travel spending spectrum. If Nemo2 is a 1 and Danmar is a 10, I'm probably a 3. I think $12,000 is enough (for me alone) but I will have a better idea after adding up the bills from my latest trip!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:18 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
We like to stay longer for less, and hotels/restaurants are not why we travel......we want to see how/where the 'people' of whichever place we're visiting live, (which most often takes us to the old section of town(s) where all the winding alleyways are, and away from where the hotels are).
This is also how I like to travel. In my case, I do have to be careful where I go, lest the people I like to observe want to hurt me.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
In my case, I do have to be careful where I go, lest the people I like to observe want to hurt me.
Always a consideration......with me though, I suspect people would be more inclined to come up and put coins in my hat than to think I/we had something worth stealing.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:52 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

On this subject, when I was in Montana recently, walking down a small town center which was only a block not even 1,000 ft long, some local drivers waved at me as they recognized me as a visitor. Can you believe that? Their friendliness startled me. And I experienced the same behavior in stores several times.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-05-2016, 06:10 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Montana and Washington State are favourites of ours. Very friendly, welcoming people.

We got a Brazil visa fairly easily a number of years ago but they had a consulate in Vancouver where we lived. My understanding is that that Brazil makes it mych more difficult now. We are quite prepared to skip Brazil in favour of more time in Argentina and Uruguay since we have previously spent time in Rio. I do not mind a Visa, just make it simple to obtain and don't kill the golden goose by jacking up the fee to an unreasonable amount like China has done.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:50 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
On this subject, when I was in Montana recently, walking down a small town center which was only a block not even 1,000 ft long, some local drivers waved at me as they recognized me as a visitor. Can you believe that? Their friendliness startled me. And I experienced the same behavior in stores several times.
I have never been to Montana, and don't know the customs there. Here in Louisiana, though, it's customary to wave at other drivers one encounters if traffic allows, and especially if the other driver did you a favor, like letting you go first or something like that. This is one of many facets of Louisiana that endears this state to me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:52 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

I have been to N.O. a couple of times, but perhaps I was not observant.

The gesture from Montana drivers was not really a wave, but they just lifted fingers from the steering wheel and waved them.

Come to think of it, at my 2nd home in the AZ high country boondock, we do the same when running across a driver in the other direction, as a way of acknowledging them. However, it is only done when you are on a local road and the other driver may be living nearby, an unknown neighbor. We do not do that on major thoroughfare. When the other driver yields to you, of course it is different, and we use hand gestures as an acknowledgement to thank.

In Phoenix, if you wave to strangers for no reason, people will think you are crazy. Montana has only 1 million residents for a fairly large state, and most people live in small towns. Even the largest city of Billings has but 100,000, and its downtown is not what many think of a downtown. I stayed at a town of 4,000 with a 1-block downtown. So, the mentality is definitely different than even in Arizona.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:31 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

I drove through New York City and got a lot of finger waving and honking. I guess they saw my North Carolina license plates and wanted to be real friendly toward me. The waving the middle finger thing was weird - it definitely doesn't mean "hey, how're you doing?" in North Carolina so maybe NYCers have a different custom?
Old 05-06-2016, 04:26 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We have friends who live in PV full-time and they book relocation trips from Europe to Fort Lauderdale/Houston every year. They find it cheaper than other alternatives for escaping the PV heat and humidity (which is just arriving). There are some great deals if you search them out like Nemo has.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:30 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Yes. There are some wonderful opportunities if you have time and if you are flexible. A few years ago we did a last minute TA cruise to Fort Lauderdale.

The night before we boarded, we snagged a 10 day Caribbean cruise from Miami that departed a few days after we landed in Fort Lauderdale. The cost of our balcony cabin for 10 days was far less than what we would have spent on hotels, food, and a rental in Florida for the same time period. And we enjoyed it more.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:42 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

TA is short for what...is it a cruise line or a website? You must travel with your passports all the time.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
TA is short for what...is it a cruise line or a website? You must travel with your passports all the time.
TA = transatlantic [cruise]
Old 05-06-2016, 01:55 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

I guessed that first but the poster said it was a Caribbean cruise so I was confused.Most Caribbean cruises are island hoppers.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:56 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Sorry...TA=Trans Atlantic
Old 05-06-2016, 02:03 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Now I see, I think you were talking about 2 different cruises, how do you usually find last minute prices?
Old 05-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

I get last minutes sent to me by several cruise lines.

But I use this site as a guide: vacationstogo.com

The trick is have a good idea of the pricing, the various cruise options, and establish a 'strike' price.

Hit on 90 Day Ticker at the top left hand corner. We don't usually book through these folks. In the past we have used another on line travel agency that provides us with a commission rebate in the form of an on board credit (OBC)