Is your drivers License Compliant TSA

For many years I've been using my passport for ID for local air travel. My state, NJ, was given an extension for this star program; it was also one of the last to have the driver's picture on the license. This caused a small problem for me once, when I was pulled over in another state. The cop ultimately believed me, but it took some polite persuasion to convince him it wasn't phony.

I got my NC Real ID DL during a DL renewal. Made an appointment. I was in and out in 5 minutes.

It felt good to walk past the full waiting room!

Why is a 'real id' license being implemented? What is the difference between it and the 'old' license besides the gold star? Why is it more 'secure'? Is there an RFID chip inside the license? Are they sending our photographs (I assume all states have a photo on the license) to a central database to be stored for 'facial recognition'. ? I don't get it. Or is it just to make us all prove who we really are with all these documents? You could still create a fake driver license anyway, with gold star and all, lol.

I got mine but will never (hopefully) stand in a TSA line again.

Why is a 'real id' license being implemented? What is the difference between it and the 'old' license besides the gold star? Why is it more 'secure'? Is there an RFID chip inside the license? Are they sending our photographs (I assume all states have a photo on the license) to a central database to be stored for 'facial recognition'. ? I don't get it. Or is it just to make us all prove who we really are with all these documents? You could still create a fake driver license anyway, with gold star and all, lol.

It was a legislative act passed 14 years ago that set standards for proof of identity in order to serve as official federal identification. Once fully implemented, any state issued driver license that doesn’t meet the standards will no longer be accepted as proof of identity. Full implementation has been postponed multiple times because it means everyone must get a new driver license, and that is considered a burden.

Nope. I renewed my DL last year. After figuring out that it would be a major PITA because my birth certificate is only a copy, not the original, and due to the fact that it's very unlikely that I will ever fly again (last time I flew was in 2003), I just went for the standard DL here in NY (which got an extension through 2020 to comply).

Just being the usual outlier here compared to everyone else!:cool:

Nope. I renewed my DL last year. After figuring out that it would be a major PITA because my birth certificate is only a copy, not the original, and due to the fact that it's very unlikely that I will ever fly again (last time I flew was in 2003), I just went for the standard DL here in NY (which got an extension through 2020 to comply).

Just being the usual outlier here compared to everyone else!:cool:

The line between outlier and slacker is very thin sometimes. :D

Also be aware that they generally won't accept even an original SS card if it has been laminated.

Fortunately this has not been true in TX as DH has had to show his SS card every time he renews his license in person.

It was a legislative act passed 14 years ago that set standards for proof of identity in order to serve as official federal identification. Once fully implemented, any state issued driver license that doesn’t meet the standards will no longer be accepted as proof of identity. Full implementation has been postponed multiple times because it means everyone must get a new driver license, and that is considered a burden.

I did some googling and found out part of the act is that all states are required to maintain a database of the photographs they take of the drivers and that the photos must be digital and usable by facial recognition surveillance software.

I'm glad to hear not all states are as anal as Ohio about laminated SS cards. We had to endure a painful visit to the local SS office to get new cards when renewing our DLs some years ago.

IL is still handing out non-compliant licenses (no star).

We always use our passport as IL cannot be trusted to do things correctly.

About a week or 2 ago, Illinois finally announced they are now offering the compliant license. You can update you license or wait for renewal.

Those of us in California who got the Real ID using only 1 document to verify address (as CA was requiring until April 1) will be getting a letter in the mail soon from the DMV to send a second one in. We thus have fake "Real" ID's at this time. Saw a story on the news just this morning about this. Not a big deal as it said you'll be able to fix the problem by mail or online.

I’m just going to stick my own gold star on our Illinois DLs (DH’s starless license is only four months old—ridiculous).

Also understand to travel to Europe next year we will need Visas ?
As far as I can tell, those rules go into effect in 2021. Travel to parts of Europe before 2021 should not be affected.

And starting in 2021, short term stays (up to 90 days) can get a waiver, which requires a little form filling and a few bucks:

https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-requirements/americans

So in reality, for short term visits, there is no visa requirement even after 2021 if you get the waiver described in the above link.

Last edited:
Also be aware that they generally won't accept even an original SS card if it has been laminated.

Did ours today since my license expires next month and when DW renewed last Sept. she didn't have an original marriage license only the marriage certificate from our wedding.

Even thpugh my SS card is laminated they didn't question it or admonish me about it. Overall painless and we were in and out in less than 20 minutes. :dance:

Even thpugh my SS card is laminated they didn't question it or admonish me about it. Overall painless and we were in and out in less than 20 minutes. :dance:

It may depend on your state DMV, or even your local office and/or the clerk/supervisor who helps you. You may not even need an SS card itself.

When I was renewing a Texas DL a couple years back, I didn't realize they needed to see my SS card *again* for a renewal. I was going to have to go home, 25 miles each way, to get it but they decided to take my CDIB card (certificate of degree of Indian blood) since it had my SSN on it and was a federally recognized tribe. So apparently there is, at least in practice, some leeway.

I have never used a driver's license for a travel ID.
I was a military brat and then 30+ years active duty Navy so I always used either a passport , or a form of military ID. Now I use my retired military ID or if on official travel my GS CaC. My retired ID has same DoD number as my CaC so either is good for my TSA pre check.

Last edited:
It may depend on your state DMV, or even your local office and/or the clerk/supervisor who helps you. You may not even need an SS card itself.

When I was renewing a Texas DL a couple years back, I didn't realize they needed to see my SS card *again* for a renewal. I was going to have to go home, 25 miles each way, to get it but they decided to take my CDIB card (certificate of degree of Indian blood) since it had my SSN on it and was a federally recognized tribe. So apparently there is, at least in practice, some leeway.

In Texas, for some reason, they are required to verify your SS number each time you renew or change your DL in person. So I’m sure your CDIB card served that purpose. They probably would also have accepted the old Medicare card.

Gosh, even a paystub will be accepted:
Examples of documents to verify your SSN include:
 Social Security Card
 W-2
 SSA-1099 Form
 A non-SSA-1099 form, or
 Paystub with the applicant’s name and SSN on it.
If you are unable to provide one of the above documents, the following can be accepted:
Military identification (active, reserve, and dependent status)
Certificate of release or Discharge of Active Duty (DD-214)
Certified college/university transcript designating number as SSN
Documents such as health insurance cards, Veteran's Administration cards, and pilot's licenses with identifiable SSN may be accepted

Last edited:

In IL , they were giving out licensees for cash bribes, after some big accidents that was stopped, but they have no idea which ones are illegal or not.

IL also gives out driver's licenses to undocumented individuals, and these look a lot like a regular license, except for some wording on it.

Maybe the gold star is to make a uniform quick way to visually see 'real id' licenses from others ?

I wonder how they're going to find enough people for federal jury duty after 2020. Nobody is required to get a REAL ID, but jurors (and witnesses, defendants, etc) will need one to enter a federal courthouse. That could create some interesting situations and cases about whether a jury pool that consists only of people who can afford to pay extra for these IDs is representative enough.

My DL expires in January 2020, and our state has until October 2020 before we need to be compliant, so I'll probably go ahead and get one. Fortunately both my passport and social security card are in my married name, and our DMV will accept printouts of utility bills and bank statements to prove residency, so it won't be too hard to collect the needed docs.

Not easy for a woman if you have changed your name a few times due to marriage. I went down with the divorce paperwork and all they wanted were all the marriage licenses.

I have heard this process is challenging and you have to have to documents for each name change. I have had 2 changes over the years, so I will use my passport until I need to renew my license.

Back
Top Bottom