Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-05-2016, 06:00 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Oh, Italian public bathrooms are the worst. Most don't have seats. And you can forget about a lid.

Also, the showers are small and the handle that controls pressure and temperature sticks out into the middle of the shower. So every time you move the temperature changes and also the water pressure. What fun!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Where are you staying in Italy? I've been all over the country and have encountered one pit toilet at a campground. Otherwise their plumbing is fine.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 06:06 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you want to really rough it, go to Greece. You're not suppose to flush anything besides human waste down the toilet. So they give you these little bins in which to deposit the used TP.

After WWII, some UK company used smaller diameter pipes for the sewage system.

This is the case on both the islands and the mainland.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:08 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Where are you staying in Italy? I've been all over the country and have encountered one pit toilet at a campground. Otherwise their plumbing is fine.
I've seen squatter toilets in Italy - especially up towards Venice... but also at some sites in Tuscany. (Not in a hotel - these were public restrooms).

This is why it's good to build your core - do your squats everyone... it can be useful when travelling. LOL
Old 10-06-2016, 02:22 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I've seen squatter toilets in Italy - especially up towards Venice... but also at some sites in Tuscany. (Not in a hotel - these were public restrooms).

This is why it's good to build your core - do your squats everyone... it can be useful when travelling. LOL
Yep. We've seen the squat pots near Torino as well, but not much in Rome.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:46 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Italy's a very modern country now. On my first visit in 1970, we saw some booths in small towns with open pits running down the middle people would have to sprattle.

Electricity must be very expensive as hotel rooms have sensors where a/c cuts off if no one's in the room. And some larger cities can only run a/c certain hours by gov't. regulations. We only travel there in Spring & Fall--never in Summer.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:49 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
I have checked the fees for my CC and ATM. The CC fees are 3% and the ATM fees are around 2% to 3% plus the local fee. Is there a downside to having cash (let's say $1000) and bring a certain amount with you each day and store the remainder in the Hotel safe?
Definitely get a credit card with no transaction fees. That should be your first step. It won't take long to get the card. Your current issuer may have one, otherwise most major banks have a no transaction fee credit card available: BofA, Chase, Capital One, etc.

Taking dollars to Europe doesn't help. You'll be paying at least 3% hidden in the exchange rate, so you might as well use your 3% fee ATM card.

You can get a no transaction fee ATM card from Schwab or Fidelity if you open a checking/cash management account with either company. Maybe Capital One also offers one?

I don't use the hotel safe but leave cash in my locked luggage. It would take opening and rummaging around quite a bit to find it, and I haven't heard of people's locked luggage being broken into in the finer European hotels - not even Rick Steve's has ever had it happen.

Few local ATM fees in Europe - none in Netherlands or France, and I ran into it with one bank in Spain and went to another that had no fee.