Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-10-2007, 10:58 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

If I had only a week, and Rome was the required entry and exit point, I think I would skip Florence this time and spend half the week in Venice. Take the fast train in between. Venice is spectacular and unique. Florence would be my third stop if there were more time.
dt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:36 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt123 View Post
If I had only a week, and Rome was the required entry and exit point, I think I would skip Florence this time and spend half the week in Venice. Take the fast train in between. Venice is spectacular and unique. Florence would be my third stop if there were more time.
We spent two days in Venice in 2003 and that was more than enough time. After a while, it all looks the same We had a much better time in Dubrovnik, Croatia. If I had to choose between Italy and Croatia, I'd go with Croatia...much more affordable and Dubrovnik is absolutely beautiful.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:29 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I lived in Italy all of 2006, here is my advice: Rome is at least 2-3 days in itself. Florence is wonderful and can possibly be done in one rushed day or more likely two.

Always call ahead for reservations to the most popular museums and art galleries (The Last Supper has a waiting list most of the time) Venice is nice but as one other person posted it can be done in one day.

All these cities are tourist traps so I would not recommend buying souvenirs in the cities, find smaller, out of the way towns to stop in and get your souvenirs.

Lastly, Italy is best enjoyed slowly. Don't try to rush through too much in a week. Pick one or two cities and take your time. Find the small out of the way places and restaurants, they are the best Italy has to offer.

Some of our favorite places were little known: Casole d'Elsa; Lago di Como; Montepulciano; Lago Di Garda; Siena; Cinque Terre.
Ciao'

Lance
Old 12-18-2007, 02:48 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We periodically get brochures from Perillo tours. They specialize in tour packages to Italy. Over the last few years the price has jumped significantly. No surprise with Exchange rates and the cost of oil (fuel).

When we go to Italy, we will go without a tour package. I have been there several times and DW has been there once. But.. back in our younger days.

I really enjoy visiting Italy... but those exchange rates need to come down a little.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:07 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks all! Your links and suggestions have been great.
On the Frommer's site I found out that there will be an Artisan Chocolate Fair in Florence when I am there. Yum!
I also got some good walking tours of Rome.
If I read the train maps correctly, I should be able to take the train through the hills passing / stopping in Siena on the way to Florence, and a train along the coast on the way back to Rome.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:19 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Just got back from my trip. Had a great time. 4 days Rome, 2 1/2 days Florence, 1/2 day Pisa.
Most of the trip was individual walking tours...no lines at the museums...did a small group tour (5 of us) to the Vatican museums and Sistine Chapel...took the train between cities.
Most of the 'tour groups' I came across were from Asia and the EU. Very few Americans visiting.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote