Join Early Retirement Today

Jazzfest - unbelievable lineup
Old 12-16-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Jazzfest - unbelievable lineup

We're going - April 24-26 and April 4-May 3. We have owned the Jazzfest week in a nice timeshare off the French Quarter for years but haven't seen a lineup like this. To name a few:

Wynton Marsalis, Dave Matthews Band, James Taylor, Joe Cocker, Earth Wind & Fire, Wilco, Robert Cray, Etta James, Pete Seeger, Hugh Masekela, Pete Trombone Shorty, Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra, Henry Butler, The Dixie Cups, Texas Johnny.

Aretha Franklin, Tony Bennett, Bonnie Raitt, Emmylou Harris, Dr. John, Buddy Guy, Los Lobos, Marcia Ball, Ellis Marsalis, Kermit Ruffins & the Barbecue Swingers, BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet,and a ton of unknown (to us) bands.

This is held in the infield of a race track and usually ends by supper time. The groups often appear unannounced at verious venues downtown and in the quarter.

Gumbo any time, Turbodog any time, beignets for late breakfast, Mothers for lunch, and maybe a fancy meal once or twice for dinner.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow...that looks great Rich! DH's been playing jazz for several years now and loves the stuff. I'd love to see Earth Wind & Fire.....

Old 12-17-2008, 08:38 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was in NOLA visiting family about 9 or 10 years ago, and I was supposed to go to the Fest with my BIL, but it was HOT.....the high was going to be about 95° and humidity was about 85% or higher. Even though I really wanted to go, I opted to stay at the house instead....I don't do heat & humidity too well. We went a few other places though, but just not too much time outdoors that day.

He went and enjoyed the music....and the only thing that saved him from dying in the heat & humidity, is a BIG thunder storm and downpour in the afternoon. He came home that evening about half dead....cooked & drenched...but he said he really enjoyed the tunes!
Old 12-17-2008, 09:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I was in NOLA visiting family about 9 or 10 years ago, and I was supposed to go to the Fest with my BIL, but it was HOT.....the high was going to be about 95° and humidity was about 85% or higher. Even though I really wanted to go, I opted to stay at the house instead....I don't do heat & humidity too well. We went a few other places though, but just not too much time outdoors that day.

He went and enjoyed the music....and the only thing that saved him from dying in the heat & humidity, is a BIG thunder storm and downpour in the afternoon. He came home that evening about half dead....cooked & drenched...but he said he really enjoyed the tunes!
Depends on where you're visiting from. I was once a heat-woos after decades in Wisconsin, but 3 years in Tucson and 6 in Tampa whipped me into shape.

Big hat, long sleeves, tech type t-shirt underneath, water to the max. And plenty of shade time. The music's worth it.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

That lineup is unbelievable . I would love to see James Taylor .
Old 12-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Went in the 70's. Living there 30 yrs you begin to take these things as a given. After the first ten Mardi Gras - started going to Reno for family reunions that week of the year.

Mother's was always dangerous when out of towners visited any time of year - bad for my waistline but good.

Sort of like all the years I spent in Seattle - never went up the Space Needle.

heh heh heh - yep gets bigger every yr it seems. Enjoy.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:08 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Went in the 70's. Living there 30 yrs you begin to take these things as a given. After the first ten Mardi Gras - started going to Reno for family reunions that week of the year.
We usually go to Springfield that week. We generally go to a few of the smaller parades now and then before we go, since Frank lives half a block from a parade route.

For people who live here, the week before Mardi Gras can be difficult. Getting to work, the gym, the grocery store, or back home can take a long time even if you don't have to cross a parade route, since there are floats everywhere lining up and trying to get to the staging areas. Even the freeways are jammed with floats at times, and traffic is impossible in my neighborhood since floats are stored nearby. It can take up to 3+ hours to drive just a mile.

I love the beads, doubloons, and throws, but like most locals I have boxes and boxes of them by now. I can't bring myself to throw them out, but they take over all available storage space.

We generally stay away from JazzFest as well. Great line-up! Don't expect every single act to show up, since that almost never happens. Still, there are enough that even minus one or two acts it is a great line-up. Hope the weather is nice for all of you that go.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:51 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It is a great line-up, but not very many of those are what I'd call Jazz. A few more may be 'jazzy'.

But it is still a great line-up. Enjoy.

And have TurboDog for me. Hmmmm.

Turbodog - Abita Brewing Co. / Abita Brew Pub - BeerAdvocate

First one I had was a few years back at the German Christmas Market in Chicago. No, I didn't get the connection between an LA beer company and a German Christmas Market in Chicago - but I liked it.

-ERD50
Old 12-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
It is a great line-up, but not very many of those are what I'd call Jazz. A few more may be 'jazzy'.
That's quite true, but pretty typical of Jazzfest. Good doses of country, blues, zydeco and a little pop. Personally I like the variation. And some of the best "real" jazz comes from any of the dozens of smaller lesser known groups that you just stumble on as you troll the fairgrounds.

I am told that Mardi Gras and Jazzfest are quite different in terms of the crowds, the moods, etc. There is the usual beads-for-boobs and carousing in the quarter at night, but much less intimidating than Mardi Gras.

I'll try to get some pics when the time comes.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:57 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have been there a couple times including last year. It rained *a lot*. But the thing I remember most from the two Jazz Fests we attended is the remarkable bands and musicans that I never heard of. And if you are not sure what to do at any particular time--head over to the Gospel tent.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:38 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

lucky you
We've been having quite the Jazz-Fest up here in Montreal for the past few decades Festival International de Jazz de Montréal - The Festival

Unfortunately for 2009 the major sponsor GM has just announced that it will no longer sponsor the event.Rough summer for Montreal as we just lost our Formula1 race for 2009 also