Join Early Retirement Today

June too early for Banff / Canadian Rockies?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

June too early for Banff / Canadian Rockies?

We are looking at a trip to Banff the 3rd week of June this year. Our schedule doesn't work as well for July/Aug. Would we regret going in late June due to the weather? We are looking to do some easy hiking, see the lakes, and maybe do a river rafting trip. Appreciate your thoughts.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #2

We went in July of 2010 and the weather was super, though not as cool as I'd hoped. I don't know the difference a month would make. I can tell you that Banff is a pricy town to eat in, but it is lovely.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

We went in June several years ago, some trails were closed due to snow, but most easy hikes, the lakes, the glaciers and things were all easily accessible and absolutely wonderful! Enjoy!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, it is a little too early. Consider late July or August to see and experience everything. Got to give the glaciers time to melt and produce the incredible lake views.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #5

We live 12 miles from Banff in Canmore. The mountain weather is very unpredictable. it can and does snow in any month! Last June we biked up to Moraine lake in a cold(50 degree) downpour! I would say the later the better in June. On the other hand it could well be just perfect. We have had better luck with late summer (August/Sept) weather than early(June/July) weather in the last few years. Having said that,this area is a superb vacation destination. Make sure you drive from Lake Louise to Jasper. The scenery will take your breath away.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #6

My brother and sister-in-law own place in Canmore I can't comment much since I haven't been. They spend July and September there.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #7

Thanks all. We're revising our trip to first week in July, hopefully a little warmer. Here is what we're thinking now:
  • Fly into Calgary, rent car
  • 3 days in Banff
  • 1 day drive to Jasper (stop at Lake Louise and other sights along the way)
  • 3 nights in Jasper
  • 1 day drive back to Calgary and catch a late flight out (that will be a long day)
How does this sound?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #8

I did that trip leaving from Coeur d'Alene. Lots of great scenery, wildlife, and glaciers.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #9

might be nice...then again it might snow. Nothing like the Rockies!
Old 03-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Weather dot com says that in June, average high is 66 and average low is 42.

That doesn't sound too bad, but perhaps that's in the city and not in the mountains?
Old 03-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #11

We have 1 house just south of the border. When we used to set up 5/6 day backpacking trips in the Rockies (both Canada and US) we usually had to wait until about the 3rd week in July. Still we occasionally ran into snow that limited passage. If you are limiting yourself to day-hikes and not the real high elevations, you should be good. September would be a super time to go (less people). Damnar is your best source of info due to his close proximity.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
Thanks all. We're revising our trip to first week in July, hopefully a little warmer. Here is what we're thinking now:
  • Fly into Calgary, rent car
  • 3 days in Banff
  • 1 day drive to Jasper (stop at Lake Louise and other sights along the way)
  • 3 nights in Jasper
  • 1 day drive back to Calgary and catch a late flight out (that will be a long day)
How does this sound?
This would be fine but I would suggest you spend a day in Lake Louise (Post Hotel) on the way to Jasper. Not really as much in Jasper as Banff IMHO so maybe 3/1/2 days in Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper. In Banff stay at the Rimrock, and in Jasper make sure you stay at the Fairmont. Make sure you drive to Lake Louise along the Bow Valley Parkway.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #13

The Canadian Rockies are on our short list of places to escape a Texas summer for a week or two...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
This would be fine but I would suggest you spend a day in Lake Louise (Post Hotel) on the way to Jasper. Not really as much in Jasper as Banff IMHO so maybe 3/1/2 days in Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper. In Banff stay at the Rimrock, and in Jasper make sure you stay at the Fairmont. Make sure you drive to Lake Louise along the Bow Valley Parkway.
Thanks but staying at the Fairmont and Post Hotel I will never get to ER!
Old 03-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #15

the grizzly house is open all year round.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
Thanks but staying at the Fairmont and Post Hotel I will never get to ER!
Sorry. There are lot's of other nice places.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #17

I think Danmar's main point is a good one. Take more time in the Lake Louise area. There is much to do. Some neat hikes and great scenery.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #18

One of the best hikes (25 miles, 40km) in my life, was in Jasper. Needless to say it took the whole day(we had to stop a lot to get the bears off the trail). Lake Louise, to me was more of a wine swilling, stop and smell the roses, and check out the view, kind of place.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
One of the best hikes (25 miles, 40km) in my life, was in Jasper. Needless to say it took the whole day(we had to stop a lot to get the bears off the trail). Lake Louise, to me was more of a wine swilling, stop and smell the roses, and check out the view, kind of place.
Could be if you wanted but I think there are superb hikes near lake Louise. Some ( the teahouse) can be done in a couple of hours. Others like Mount Temple and Plain of the 6 Glaciers take the better part of the day. Moraine Lake is a must see. It will be busy in July although less Japanese than in previous years. You really can't go wrong whatever you do. When we are in this part of the country it makes us very proud to be Canadians.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #20

also, some of the best white rafting is in the area, just on the BC side. My wife and I had a great time doing it, if that is your cup of tea and you wanted to make the day trip. And, this is the second and last time I will mention the grizzly house in Banff. So good!

The Banff Grizzly House , One of the Best Restaurants in the Bow Valley

"For Lovers and Hedonists"