Join Early Retirement Today

Just blew my stimulus $
Old 04-14-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just blew my stimulus $

Hehe -- just returned from 4 days in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. It was so beautiful, and the timing couldn't be better because we avoided a major snowstorm at home.

Even better, it was all within the $600/person stimulus package that we will hopefully get in a couple of weeks. (I know, shouldn't count on money that isn't in my pocket yet)

per person breakdown:
Airfare: $308
Hostel: $12/night (tolerable quality)
Theme park entrance: $65
Transportation by bus: $30
Food and other expenses: roughly $60
Total = $511/person

Had a great time despite the obvious cheap frugal choices of hotel and food. Snorkeling and beautiful beaches are free once you get there.

Anyway, care to share how you will spend your stimulus money, if you don't make too much money to disqualify?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MX 480.jpg (210.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg MX 537.jpg (579.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg MX 132.jpg (405.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg MX 353.jpg (275.4 KB, 19 views)
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds like a fun (late) winter getaway.

Had to laugh that a lot of your stimulus payment went to the Mexican economy. That's about as unpatriotic as ER!
bots2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did you by chance fly Mexicana?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSense View Post
Anyway, care to share how you will spend your stimulus money, if you don't make too much money to disqualify?
I'm putting mine together along with my Fed tax refund to pay for us to go to Savannah, GA and Nashville, TN for 8 days at the end of this month. Plus a couple of day trips to Chicago with the our community college. One this week is "For the Love of Chocolate".....the title says it all! And the other trip is an architectural tour by boat on the Chicago River, along with a little bit of a walking tour. All of the trips include some very awesome food!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:12 PM   #5

My stimulus went to the Obama campaign fund

Great pics!
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:16 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I want one of whatever that thing in the last picture is. Providing its over 129lbs and good at home protection. Looks like a baby polar bear with a bushy tail.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bots2019 View Post
Had to laugh that a lot of your stimulus payment went to the Mexican economy. That's about as unpatriotic as ER!
Yup, but most of the consumer products in the US are made overseas anyway. At least I flew an American airline (which is apparently going out of business by the end of the month)
Old 04-14-2008, 09:22 PM   #8

Haven't got mine yet - waited till the last minute to pay the $1300 to the IRS - now I'll wait to get the $1500 stimulus
Old 04-14-2008, 09:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texarkandy View Post
Did you by chance fly Mexicana?
No, we flew Champion Air, which is a charter airline just for vacation travels. The ticket was a last-minute sale price. I heard rumors they are going out of business, but don't know for sure. The flight was on time both ways and no complaints.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I'm putting mine together along with my Fed tax refund to pay for us to go to Savannah, GA and Nashville, TN for 8 days at the end of this month. Plus a couple of day trips to Chicago with the our community college. One this week is "For the Love of Chocolate".....the title says it all! And the other trip is an architectural tour by boat on the Chicago River, along with a little bit of a walking tour. All of the trips include some very awesome food!!!
Sounds like you will have a great time blowing strategically spending your money as well. Cheers!
Old 04-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I want one of whatever that thing in the last picture is. Providing its over 129lbs and good at home protection. Looks like a baby polar bear with a bushy tail.
It's a coati and seems to be a hybrid between a polar bear, a monkey, a dog, and a racoon.

Why 129lbs? Is that the average weight of burglars?
Old 04-14-2008, 10:10 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Seems I'm overcrossing threads.

Hmm, I remember some sort of beast called a coatamundi, I'll have to see if they're the same thing. That one looks a little more robust than I remember them being.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:18 PM   #13

Damn, I hate being a Canadian. Nobody sends me money. Enjoy!
Old 04-14-2008, 10:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Damn, I hate being a Canadian. Nobody sends me money. Enjoy!
But you got all that free health care !!!!
Old 04-14-2008, 10:43 PM   #15

Quote:

I'd rather have the salary that disqualifies me from getting the stimulus $, but since I'm not, my $600 is going towards

-new motorcycle boots
-new leather motorcycle pants
-passport
-the Retired Gypsy's Never Enough Savings Fund

I think the boots and pants I want both come from Europe...so much for helping the American economy there.
RetiredGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
I'd rather have the salary that disqualifies me from getting the stimulus $, but since I'm not, my $600 is going towards

-new motorcycle boots
-new leather motorcycle pants
-passport
-the Retired Gypsy's Never Enough Savings Fund

I think the boots and pants I want both come from Europe...so much for helping the American economy there.
Sounds like fun! As long as you don't have to travel t o Europe to get there...that might crash the budget.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:11 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No stimulus for me- thus continuing my perfect record of one way cash flows between me and the US Government.

Ha
Old 04-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Sounds like fun! As long as you don't have to travel t o Europe to get there...that might crash the budget.
I think for the price they want for a bit of cowhide, they should fly me out for a week's tour of the countryside.
RetiredGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:42 AM   #19

We were going to bank it, but DW decided to take a summer class in - get this - Business Ethics. Too bad they don't teach more of that. When she's done with that class, two more to go and she graduates with her BA.

There WILL be a party!
Old 04-15-2008, 09:14 AM   #20

Looking to spend it on a last minute cruise out of NOLA or Mobile (since we can drive there). Only thing holding us back is DH is so busy at w*rk right now! It really stinks when you've got the money but not the time. FIRE seems so far away right now!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote