Join Early Retirement Today

Kauai Hi
Old 07-03-2015, 10:27 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Kauai Hi

We're enjoying another wonderful vacation on Kauai. Great weather here this week and loving the beauty of the island!
fishnfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2015, 04:46 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My personal motto is - a day in Hawaii without snorkeling is a day wasted. Have fun!
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:04 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My favorite HI island!!! Too long since we've been there. I hope you are visiting the north coast.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:53 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Kauai is just about the most beautiful place in the world. Second most beautiful (I've seen) is the Swiss and Austrian Alps.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:27 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

We enjoyed a vacation to Kauai several years ago. Unfortunately it was extremely wet with so much rain they closed the hiking trails due to flooding.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-04-2015, 08:03 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
My favorite HI island!!! Too long since we've been there. I hope you are visiting the north coast.
Same here - been there 3 times.

If you are into snorkeling, be sure to go to Tunnels Beach.
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:32 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Our favorite Hawaiian island, too...
ggbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:19 AM   #8

The next time I go to the islands, it will be more time in Molokai, and less time everywhere else.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:35 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I've been to Kauai only once though I live on Oahu. I loved the beauty of the island and got to see most of the "points of interest." I'm not sure I will ever return, even though it's a 40 minute flight away (and not ridiculously expensive.) FWIW, I've never been able to stay on another island for more than a week or so (includes Big Island and Maui as well as Kauai.) I'm just too "citified" I guess.

I love exploring and seeing natural beauty - but once I've seen it - I've seen it. It's my (humble) opinion that (other than some very specific scenic or historic places) Oahu has just about everything one could want in an island paradise. I never get tired of Oahu and now I have many friends there. I know lots of beaches and trails which are virtually deserted - just like on the other islands. Most of the allure of Kauai (lush tropical foliage, beautiful beaches, hiking trails, mountains, etc.) are available on Oahu (though they are not as concentrated on Oahu.) I can live a lifestyle very similar to my old lifestyle (lots of things to do, concerts, movies, McDonalds - well forget that - trails, beaches, shopping, good (well, better) prices on everything, etc. etc. etc.)

The big downside to Oahu is lots of people (which mostly manifests itself as rush hour traffic.) If you can get past that, Oahu is a place I can live without getting Island fever. If I still lived on the mainland, I might once again make one of the other islands a "vacation destination." But now that I'm on Oahu, I just don't feel much need to visit those Islands I've seen. I DO want to see Molokai before I croak, but probably only for 3 or 4 days.

Every few weeks, I find something "new" on Oahu that I've never seen or done, so I don't feel particularly deprived in the exploration department. I will occasionaly simply drive up a street I've never been on before. Typically, I will see something of interest (a new ocean-veiw perspective, a trail, an unusual house, even an uncharted man-made rock formation - possibly used for worship or sacrifice.) I don't treat every day on Oahu as "vacation" but it still sort of feels that way.

Naturally, this is one man's opinion and I hope everyone DOES come see ALL of our islands. We need the tourist revenue!! (And you WILL enjoy the beauty.) We'll treat you very well no matter what island experience strikes your fancy. Ya'll come! As always, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:43 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I was lucky enough to do a tag-along trip with my late husband to Kauai many moons ago. He went to his conference and I hung out at the hotel. Then...I found a rental place for scooters. Bigger than a moped, smaller than a motorcycle.
The owner was very wary of renting to me, since he knew how the traffic could be, especially not kind to scooters. I assured him that I was fearless but careful, and had driven the LA freeways and roads close to and in NYC and Boston.
PLUS...I promised him I would always wear the helmet and proper shoes and clothing. He grinned and joked about who would be more dangerous...me or the local drivers.
I rented the scooter for 3 days. I waited until 10 AM each day and went all over the island. I made sure I was either well on my way back before rush hour, or just waited it out.
I went to the usual tourist traps, and saw so many wonders on both the smaller paved and unpaved roads. The rental guy marked my map for the off-the-beaten-track places to visit.

Nice fond memories of that adventure...
Old 07-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

One thing we've never done here is rent a scooter, that sounds fun! I see mostly locals riding them around and it could be a bit dangerous but that goes for anywhere. We really love the coastal bike path here and there is about 8 miles of it done so far with another 8 miles to be done in the near future. Another thing we enjoy is kayaking up the Hanalei river then out into the bay to snorkel. We did that last week and had a blast. Might do SUP tomorrow before we fly home Monday.

Aloha
Old 07-11-2015, 11:11 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Me and DW was on the island during our honeymoon.... went to all the touristy places also.... loved the canyon...

We still buy coffee from the farm there... she like this better than any other coffee..

But, I would be hard pressed to live there... not that big and after awhile you have seen everything.... I could stand a good three months a year there... but not all the time...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Naturally, this is one man's opinion and I hope everyone DOES come see ALL of our islands. We need the tourist revenue!! (And you WILL enjoy the beauty.) We'll treat you very well no matter what island experience strikes your fancy. Ya'll come! As always, YMMV.
Just curious, how long have you lived in Oahu, and where did you live before that?
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:49 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Just curious, how long have you lived in Oahu, and where did you live before that?
FWIW I've lived on Oahu for 8 years and I previously lived in the midwest. Hope that helps as YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
FWIW I've lived on Oahu for 8 years and I previously lived in the midwest. Hope that helps as YMMV.
I'm glad to hear you are still enjoying it after eight years. I love Hawaii, but DH doesn't think he could live there full time. If it were up to me, I'd move there tomorrow.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:10 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I'm glad to hear you are still enjoying it after eight years. I love Hawaii, but DH doesn't think he could live there full time. If it were up to me, I'd move there tomorrow.
Our realtor who sold us our first place in HI gave us some good advise. She had lived on Oahu for all her life. As luck would have it, she met a Detroit boy (middle aged man, actually - second marriages for both). He moved to HI and started going nuts (we call it rock fever or island fever.) She told him to book an open ended flight back to Detroit for as long as he wanted - by himself. If the time came he wanted to come back, great! Any time he would want to leave in the future, great! If not, she would move there. I forget the time period, but he DID return and never left again. KNOWING that you can leave anytime you want is virtually as good as leaving - once you have experienced it. We've found plenty of (minor) negative things about living in the Islands, but rock fever is not one of them as we travel to the mainland typically once a year. It just never occurs to us to get claustrophobic. YMMV

Old 07-13-2015, 09:22 AM   #17

Hit the Napili Coast. Hike the trail. Go inland and see some of the waterfalls. Amazing!
Old 07-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Hit the Napili Coast. Hike the trail. Go inland and see some of the waterfalls. Amazing!
AND strongly consider a helicopter flight through the canyon. Actually, you might consider flying in a fixed wing aircraft (IIRC significantly cheaper than helicopter, though perhaps a bit less exciting.)

Not a recommendation as I have not used these vendors, but some examples:

AdventureInHawaii.com | Kauai Helicopter Tours - AdventureInHawaii.com

The Big Kahuna Kauai 1-Hour Airplane Tour (Airplane) from All Kauai Tours

Old 07-13-2015, 04:42 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

We did a helicopter tour years ago and it was awesome. I'll go again sometime but the DW says once was enough for her. Flying into the Waimea canyon aka Grand Canyon of the Pacific was incredible. The Napili cliffs, water falls and Mt. Waialeale spectacular! I highly recommend it to anyone coming here.

Aloha
Old 07-21-2015, 06:06 PM   #20
gone traveling

Given we loved Kauai & didn't hit Maui, I take it there's no need to ever see Maui.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote